Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Replica of Tutankhamun's tomb unveiled

seeder

This would certainly save degradation of the original wouldn't it?

Exact replica of Tutankhamun's tomb unveiled in Egypt

Team behind £420,000 facsimile, created using 3D technology, hope it can prompt rethink of tourism at historic sites

"Can I tell the difference?" wonders Tish Chapman, a teacher from Nottingham, standing in the latest tomb to be opened to the public at southern Egypt's Valley of the Kings.

Chapman's answer could be a pointer to the future of mass tourism. For the tomb in which she stands is in fact a replica: an exact copy of the tomb of Tutankhamun, dug into the sand about a mile from the real thing. And on Thursday Chapman, who has visited pharaonic sites including Tut's original tomb for two decades, became its first paying visitor.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/exact-replica-tutankhamun-tomb-egypt

• Like 2

This is a very good idea...

At the Bru-na-Boinne in Ireland, they have an exact replica of the passage tunnel of the Newgrange megalithic tomb, this allows we clumsy tourists to experience it, and at the same time keeps our

grubby hands of the original...

Granted the tomb of Tutankhamun is a good deal more involved - has more 'parts' and detail - but the theory is the same...

• Like 1

Great idea for the bulk of tourists. But what I tend to do when interacting with an old place or object is imagine that at one point there were people in there/using it thousands of years ago, sculpting, building, etc. It just wouldn't be same. Although preservation of these pieces of history I hold most highly above everything which is usually why I do not like the constant moving of historic objects.

There's a difference with getting a great picture and actually appreciating and respecting the historic object or construct.

Overall I'm all for this idea. It satisfies the visuals but for me, the feel would be missing.

• Like 2

Wish they'd build one in the UK

• Like 1

Wish they'd build one in the UK

Agreed... Might be really good idea for a "Theme Park", to have a collection of life sized replicas of some of the worlds best ancient sites... of course, that would take tourism (and funding) away

from the real places...

For example: there is a replica of the Parthenon, in Athens, Georgia (USA - not the Eastern European place)...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1