Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery object picked up on Loch Ness sonar

UM-Bot

A cruise vessel has picked up an 'unusual' reading of an unidentified object in the depths of Loch Ness.

The Loch Ness Monster was in the news again this week when the Jacobite Queen, a cruise vessel that carries thousands of tourists up and down the loch every year, reported that it had picked up a mysterious hit on its underwater scanning equipment.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...loch-ness-sonar

A cruise line whose livelihood is transporting tourists for a chance to spot Nessie, claims to have spotted something possibly "Nessie-like" on sonar? What are the odds?

What information on the object did they get from the sonar or did I miss something? No details given, just a blurb meant to bolster tourism after a year long lack of sightings?

Can you tell anything from the sonar screenshot? I don't know how to "read" it.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 4

Odd how a cruise ship has managed to hit something that dozens of intense radar searches have not

• Like 3

i do belive my intelligence has just been insulted by the good captain askew

Im led to believe the the driver of the jacobite queen, goes by the self appointed nickname of 'Cpt Ahab'

Enough said!

"It's impossible to tell what we've picked up here" - Skipper, John Askew

The Jacobite Queen, recently also known as Nessie, has detected an unidentifiable blob on their sonar. Surely this could be nothing but the legendary monster itself.

A cruise line whose livelihood is transporting tourists for a chance to spot Nessie, claims to have spotted something possibly "Nessie-like" on sonar? What are the odds?

What information on the object did they get from the sonar or did I miss something? No details given, just a blurb meant to bolster tourism after a year long lack of sightings?

Can you tell anything from the sonar screenshot? I don't know how to "read" it.

Ha! :w00t: couldn't have said it better myself, just a well needed boost in their tourist visitation nothing more.I'm not discrediting whether or not some organism is in this body of water fyi, just agreeing that every cry for wolf isn't what it appears :tsu:

Ha! :w00t: couldn't have said it better myself, just a well needed boost in their tourist visitation nothing more.I'm not discrediting whether or not some organism is in this body of water fyi, just agreeing that every cry for wolf isn't what it appears :tsu:

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of "organisms" in the Loch. Just no plesiosaurs.

• Like 1

You will notice that this report comes immediately after the "best Nessie photo ever" satellite image which generated considerable publicity in the less fussy newspapers, most of which failed to report that, literally within hours of its release, the photo had been conclusively shown not to be Nessie. Oddly enough, what it really shows is the boat we're talking about here - the Jacobite Queen.

Nobody has suggested that this was a deliberate hoax - you can't really tamper with photos taken by a third party which happens to be a robot in orbit. But the redoubtable Captain Agnew/Ahab/Whoever must have been relieved when it was released just at a time when there was talk of Nessie being officially "dead" after nobody had reported any sightings at all for over a year. And you can bet that his cruise bookings suddenly went up by about 1000%.

And then of course it became all too obvious that it wasn't the monster at all, just, by a supreme irony, his own boat. Incidentally, The Scotsman, the journal which reported this story, covered itself by reporting the debunking of the satellite photo, but did so in such a way as to imply that those rotten spoilsport skeptics were merely expressing an alternative opinion, omitting all photographic evidence other than the original extreme close-up of the "monster". They certainly didn't publish the uncropped photo. If you'd like to make your own minds up:

https://www.metabunk.org/sk/Inverness__Highland_20140419_053404_20140419_053413__100_Layer_2_RGB8__20140419_053613_20140419_053905.jpg

So Captain Van Helsing or whoever he is this week knows that Nessie desperately needs all the publicity she can get right now, even if she doesn't exist, because it's not hurting him any. And he knows the media will run with a story of this nature without checking the facts at all, and then if they eventually do, they won't ruin the initial story by backtracking all that much. This sonar blip is so well-timed that it has to be a fake! Though when I say "fake", I mean that he probably did genuinely record it on his ship's sonar. But if you can't interpret sonar - and how many of us can? - that could be absolutely anything.

It’s impossible to tell what we’ve picked up here, but along with those satellite images, you can’t help feeling that reports of the Loch Ness Monster’s demise may be premature.

Oh come on, Captain Hellboy, you've just deliberately tied it in with something you know to be a misidentification of your own boat, while leaving yourself an out in case anybody suggests that you aren't fit to be in charge of a ship packed with sightseers because you can't identify the sonar signature of whatever that in fact is - for all I and 99.99% of readers know, it's a canoe - since "impossible to tell" technically covers: "identical to all the other canoes, salmon, or whatever this blip looks like that I've picked up on the sonar over the years I've been doing this, but with sonar, you can't be 100% sure unless you get visual confirmation, and I didn't see with my own eyes that it wasn't a dinosaur".

Though actually, good luck to him! As loopy beliefs go, Nessie's a very harmless one. It's not as if Scotland has any maniacs lurking in fortified cabins full of illegal guns just because they believe in Nessie, perhaps because even if you're as stupid and insane as those characters tend to be, it's almost impossible to claim that the UK government are covering up her existence. Because a) seriously, why would they?, and B) it's a totally useless cover-up, seeing as Nessie could give it all away at any moment by randomly sticking her head out of the water that one time a tourist holding a camera remembers to press the button.

PS - If you want to know how desperate Captain Birdseye & friends were getting in their attempts to remind people that Nessie was something it was worth paying to look for because you might actually see her before that satellite photo popped up and saved their bacon:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-loch-ness-monster-vote-call-1-3361634

• Like 2

I have to admit to having a fondness for Loch Ness and Nessie. I wish there was a relict population of plesiosaurs there, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

The People's Liberation Army Navy submarine fleet is everywhere these days!

Person from Porlock, I think you'll find it belongs to the Liberation of the People's Naval Army.

I'm just curious, what do you guys think this is? I highly doubt it's Nessie, but could it be a group of fish or a large fish?

Or maybe a drunken tourist going out for a swim? :rofl:

• Like 1

I wish I knew how to read one of those. Looks like a boat wake to me ;)

Edited by MyOtherAccount

summers coming do something to get the tourists in angus!

I'm just curious, what do you guys think this is? I highly doubt it's Nessie, but could it be a group of fish or a large fish?

Aye, at midnight :);)

Not sure. If there was a "blip" then yeah it could be a shoal of fish. There's a lot of rotting vegetation down there, so perhaps carbon dioxide/methane bubbles escaping through the layer of decayed matter and silt? Deer also are surprisingly good swimmers- it could also be the sad case of a deer biting off more than it could chew a few days hence, and on it's way to the bottom. We've not really been hit by any noteable storm fronts (well, not down here), but it could be a tree that's rolled down the hill and made it's way into the loch, gotten waterlogged and lurking in the murk? I suppose there's loads of possible and plausible theories. hey it could even be Doc Sheils' infamous "Elephant Squid" :P

post-19705-0-36440500-1399130398_thumb.j

Edited by Urisk
  • Like 2

Bigfoot's been all the rage lately. Just glad that Nessie can still share the crypto - spotlight every once in a while.

• Like 2

“It’s impossible to tell what we’ve picked up here, but along with those satellite images, you can’t help feeling that reports of the Loch Ness Monster’s demise may be premature..."

Those would be the same satellite photos that were recently confirmed to be the exact same cruise ship that got the sonar blips .... mmmm

• Like 1

Theres one big problem with any suggestion of a large reptile in that lake - breathing ! Number one on the hit list of reptiles to do is breathe. If there was one in there, it would need to breathe so we would constantly see it surface.

Also there would need to be a breeding population, in order for the species to have survived this long.

It could be a group of fish, or a single big fish. But more likely is a partly water logged log, IMHO. Or even a large bit of trash, like a trashcan, or tire, that is floating around a bit.