Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can children hear and see things adults cant

FJM

ok this is my first post i would like to share a experience that happend to me as a young boy i was aprox about 5 years old date would be around 1956 area southampton hampshire.

i went to visit a friend a few doors down the road she and her brother had a cat called judy we were in the garden playing when we noticed her cat up a tree behind her garden fence so we looked over the fence and on the ground there were aprox 6 or 7 cats sat in a half circle all looking up at her cat in the tree.

then we heard one cat say very plain were going to get your judy.

now i know cats can sound like there talking but this was a long sentence and ill never forget it.

i really wish i could find my friend or her brother because im sure they never forgot it either.

if by chance they do read this then get in touch and to prove its them they would know the name of the road.

now what did shock me was a few years ago i happend to pass her house and i couldnt believe my eyes in the window was a sign beware of the cats this really freaked me out.

ok this is my first post i would like to share a experience that happend to me as a young boy i was aprox about 5 years old date would be around 1956 area southampton hampshire.

i went to visit a friend a few doors down the road she and her brother had a cat called judy we were in the garden playing when we noticed her cat up a tree behind her garden fence so we looked over the fence and on the ground there were aprox 6 or 7 cats sat in a half circle all looking up at her cat in the tree.

then we heard one cat say very plain were going to get your judy.

now i know cats can sound like there talking but this was a long sentence and ill never forget it.

i really wish i could find my friend or her brother because im sure they never forgot it either.

if by chance they do read this then get in touch and to prove its them they would know the name of the road.

now what did shock me was a few years ago i happend to pass her house and i couldnt believe my eyes in the window was a sign beware of the cats this really freaked me out.

Very amazing claims,

The cats meows and dog barks and howls always sound weird and can be assumed to be heard as something else.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 2

I'd hazard a guess that your memory is simply wrong. I'd say a faulty memory of an event that happened almost 60 years ago is more likely than an experience with talking cats. Human memory is notoriously unreliable at times and we "remember" things sometimes that were very different from the actual events or never happened at all. Different events get mixed into the same memory. Others retelling of events affect how you remember it. Strange occurrences get exagerrated over time. Etc.

I recall a friend of mine claiming to be on a trip I went with with friends back at school. He remembered being there. Remembered what happened. Thing is, I knew he wasn't there. I had to show him photos of the trip with the 6 or so of us who were on the trip in order to prove he wasn't there. He had heard myself and others tell the story enough times that it just got incorporated into his mind as an occasion he was part of that he "remembered" being there. Memory is funny like that at times.

• Like 4

i dont really care what sceptics think i know what i heard and i may be over 60 but my brain is still in tact and unlike many people i dont do drugs :)

• Like 2

i dont really care what sceptics think i know what i heard and i may be over 60 but my brain is still in tact and unlike many people i dont do drugs :)

No-one accused you of doing drugs. No-one claimed your brain wasn't intact. No need to jump to defending yourself against accusations no-one made.

I was merely pointing out the verifiable and proven fact that our memories of long past events can be shown to be unreliable at times. The story I mentioned above about a friend who remembered an event he wasn't present at involves a guy in his 30s who is a qualified and successful telecommunications engineer who is one of the most intelligent people I've personally known. But he "clearly remembered" something that he wasn't there to see. These things happen.

My parents were involved in a car crash incident where a dangerous driver ran a red light and hit a car with a family in it which overturned and skidded down the road upside down and almost hit their car. As such, they were interviewed by the police who were prosecuting the driver for dangerous driving. They both had wildly different versions of the same event. Couldn't agree on the colour or type of car. Or even which direction the car came from. Despite the fact that they both witnessed the same event from the same vantage point. That's just the reality of human testimony of unexpected or traumatic events and how we misremember them after the fact.

Human memory is faulty and prone to being distorted over time and that happens to the most mentally astute and mentally sound of humans. No-one is implying that there's anything wrong with you or your brain, just pointing out the fact that it's entirely reasonable that you (even with an intact and perfectly healthy brain) are prone to the same problems of having an imperfect memory as the rest of humanity does, especially concerning a memory of a very strange event from several decades ago.

• Like 3

Ah! The old "get angry and insult people when they don't instantly believe my outlandish claims" routine.

• Like 5

I wouldn't have trusted those cats to get Judy down anyway.

• Like 4

No offense intended - but my initial opinion from your two posts is that you are a child and you find an interest in this kind of thing?

Sincerely asking if you are a child or if you are in fact ~63?

• Like 3

i can only tell you what happend i just wish i could find the friends i was with.

i can only tell you what happend i just wish i could find the friends i was with.

You haven't seen them for a long time?

• Like 1

Could it be possible that one of your friends said 'they are going to get you Judy,?

Its not unusual for toms to surround a cat, especially if she is on heat and uses an exotic name such as judy(not exotic to us, but beats being called lucky).

Maybe she was a kitty cat tease.

No offense intended - but my initial opinion from your two posts is that you are a child and you find an interest in this kind of thing?

Sincerely asking if you are a child or if you are in fact ~63?

Why on earth you would think im a child from what i posted god only knows and yes i am 63 this year.

maybe i did get a little angry because some people try to turn things around looking for an explanation like oh it could of been that or this but they wasnt there at the time and since the day it happend i never forgot it, ive told this story many many times over the years even if others thought i was crazy.

trust me im no kid and it really did happen.

Why on earth you would think im a child from what i posted god only knows and yes i am 63 this year.

maybe i did get a little angry because some people try to turn things around looking for an explanation like oh it could of been that or this but they wasnt there at the time and since the day it happend i never forgot it, ive told this story many many times over the years even if others thought i was crazy.

trust me im no kid and it really did happen.

Welcome to UM, As the unofficial welcome party member of the ghost section, I welcome you.

Please do not take offense with members questions, I know that it is hard to accept members giving alternative explanations. None of us is telling you are wrong, you are crazy or you are lying, We believe that you believe that the events had happened to you as a child.

Sadly there is a "but" to this post, The problem is FJM, It happened to you, none of us were present when this happened many years ago and there is no evidence (I don't expect any since it was long ago). There are many explanations out there, People do suffer memory loss of details over long periods of times, people can exaggerate the details unintentionally. People mix dreams with reality over time. We have seen this numerous times from numerous posts here.

For example I remember my dad eating my train cake before I even blew the candles out and my mother crying, What really happen was my father was eating the cake AS they were singing happy birthday and then after the birthday party my mother was crying in her room. I remember the details but they were mixed and I was eight at the time and now I am 32 years old, I can tell you I had to ask three people to get the full details about it.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 3

LOL here we go again why did i bother to share my experience well its been fun listening to all your replies.

ive had a few ufo experiences to but not really worth puting them up just incase i exaggerate the details.

peace to you all

seems im not alone i did a search on the web and this ones even stranger than mine,

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/29/a-moving-story-about-how-meeting-a-talking-cat-changed-one-veterinarians-life/

i would be interested to know if anyone can find more stories such as this

Good story. Reminds me of Gef the talking mongoose.

• Like 1

To give you a straight answer, "yes, children can see and hear things adults can't."

Physiologically speaking, their ears and eyes are different than adults' and although they are extremely similar, a child's hearing is often more acute than the adult's. This is a generalization because the whole sensory experience is actually a spectrum -- some folks naturally see and hear some things better than others.

I can't comment on your experience. If you want to try contacting your friend, Facebook is a better option.

• Like 2

To give you a straight answer, "yes, children can see and hear things adults can't."

Physiologically speaking, their ears and eyes are different than adults' and although they are extremely similar, a child's hearing is often more acute than the adult's. This is a generalization because the whole sensory experience is actually a spectrum -- some folks naturally see and hear some things better than others.

I can't comment on your experience. If you want to try contacting your friend, Facebook is a better option.

Thank you for your post you sound like a very sensible person.

i will have to maybe look back in some records the name of there parents for there address the girl probably married and changed names but her brother would have the name but it could be a common name so that would be like finding a neddle in a haystack all i can do is hope one of them does a search themselves on the net and finds my posts.

another thing i can say is going back many years i was probably in my 30s my wife said to me one day there is a person in the papers cant remember paper maybe the news of the world or sunday mirror someone put a story about talking cat and has anyone else had this experience, i didnt follow it up at the time i could kick myself for doing that i guess i was to busy doing normal life so i forgot about it.

Passing by the cemetery, my 4 year old granddaughter wanted to know if she could go play with those kids at the park ? I asked her what kids ? And she pointed at the area of the cemetery we were passing. After dropping her back off, out of curiosity I went back and I stopped and walked over and looked and several children were buried there. It made me wonder.

• Like 3

Passing by the cemetery, my 4 year old granddaughter wanted to know if she could go play with those kids at the park ? I asked her what kids ? And she pointed at the area of the cemetery we were passing. After dropping her back off, out of curiosity I went back and I stopped and walked over and looked and several children were buried there. It made me wonder.

Now that's a cool story.

Maybe they can see something...

For those interested in Gef the talking mongoose, here's a page with info. i personally love the story.

http://gefmongoose.b...of-gef.html?m=1

great story and im sure it happend after hearing what i myself heard, when something amazing like this happens its such a impact what you witness it stays with you till the day you die.

when i had my experience with the cats i ran home and told my mother she told me not to be so stupid, i can still hear her words,i used to bring up the subject now and again and she remembers it,she since past away bless her soul.

ive been doing some research on the half circle of cats i saw but not found anything as yet, im sure it has some meaning.

kinda sounds a bit witchy to me but dont know.

Take it easy there cowboy. Nobody is attacking your claims.

Human memory is quite fallible. All one has to do is simply Google "human memory fallible" to see pages and pages of studies that prove this fact. It has also been shown that our memories of certain events change over time and we tend to add more detail to support our initial perception of said event. Case in point, I have a friend who will swear on a stack of Bibles that when he was a young boy, he woke up one morning and the entire cast of the Muppet Show was performing a number in his backyard. He knows that this is impossible and that he was probably dreaming the event, but his recollection of things is crystal clear.

As to your specific event, only you know what is true and not true. But given that there are no documented and proven cases of talking cats in the history of mankind, you might want to consider that this was nothing more than a fun memory to cherish and laugh about.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

Take it easy there cowboy. Nobody is attacking your claims.

Human memory is quite fallible. All one has to do is simply Google "human memory fallible" to see pages and pages of studies that prove this fact. It has also been shown that our memories of certain events change over time and we tend to add more detail to support our initial perception of said event. Case in point, I have a friend who will swear on a stack of Bibles that when he was a young boy, he woke up one morning and the entire cast of the Muppet Show was performing a number in his backyard. He knows that this is impossible and that he was probably dreaming the event, but his recollection of things is crystal clear.

As to your specific event, only you know what is true and not true. But given that there are no documented and proven cases of talking cats in the history of mankind, you might want to consider that this was nothing more than a fun memory to cherish and laugh about.

i say again i know what i see and heard and ive not added anything ive told it as it was, and my family like sisters brothers mother father all of them have heard me tell them what happend from a young age, i know it must sound crazy but its a crazy world and we dont know it all, ive tried to say to myself could i have been wrong, and maybe cats do make strange sounds as we see on youtube but it was so clear and how did it know my friends cats name just dont make sence.

anyway ive shared my experience i leave it upto you all to wonder how this could happen.