Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange picture

MuddyFeet

Back when hurricane Katrina was still going on, our power went out. We got our camera out and was making sure the batteries were still good in case something happened.

We took several random pictures in the dark with the flash on because we did not have much to do with no power and the effects of a hurricane outside.

Living in central Mississippi, we just got heavy rain and high winds mostly and did not need to evacuate.

We were looking at the photos on our laptop and spotted a strange monkey face thing near the top of a blue recliner in our living room. We took countless more pictures trying to see if it was a flash or other issue with the camera but nothing else ever showed up.

I cropped the picture to just show the anomaly, its the only edit made. The camera used was a Samsung S630.

http://www.unexplain.../10984/s6300165

It was just interesting to us, wondered what other people would make of it.

Edited by MuddyFeet
  • Like 1

To be honest I dont think i am seeing what you are seeing....

• Like 1

I can't see anything in that photo that looks like a monkey face.

• Like 4

seems to me you had dusty dirty recliner, and the dust shined brightly when you flashed photo'd it,.. and it happens so the position of the dust/dirt revealed a shape of a monkey face

No monkey or similar. Just nothing.

We noticed the spot on the cameras LCD screen after we took the picture, loaded it on our laptop and looked at it zoomed in. One of my kids said it looked like a monkey face and the term stuck.

I did not let anyone touch or clean the chair and I took at least 30 more pictures to see if I could get it to show up again, it didn't.

We looked at the chair with a flashlight and there was nothing on it.

Was just an odd photo I still had. The forums were dead, nothing on TV I cared to watch so I figured I would make a thread.

Never had a reason to believe my house is or was haunted, just thought it was an interesting pic since I could not find a reason for whatever it was in the photo.

• Like 1

To duplicate such an image that involves reflected flash off a rough / convoluted surface like that, the camera would have to be in *exactly* the same position.

That means:

- exactly the same distance away

- exactly the same height

- located at exactly the same location in terms of NSEW from the chair, with the chair positioned at the exact same place, and with the leather/vinyl undisturbed

- pointing at exactly the same angle up/down

- pointing at exactly the same angle left/right

If any of those wasn't the same to within a tiny tolerance, the reflections will be different. In other words, it is hardly surprising that you couldn't do it again. If you'll pardon the woeful analogy, you'd prolly need thousands of monkeys with cameras snapping away for hundreds of years to 'nail it' ...

But given that the 'face' is barely recognisable, and I would never have spotted the likeness without being told what I was looking for.... I think this is just an object lesson in pareidolia.

• Like 5

The original picture is 2816 x 2112, 96 dpi and 24 bit depth. I just cropped it to focus on the anomaly. When it was still in the camera being viewed with the tiny LCD it was such a bright spot on the chair which is why we noticed it. It looked oddly florescent.

I actually got a black light from a friend to check for stains the next day and did not find any. I assumed the kids might have spilled something at the time and nobody ever claims responsibility for something like that.

After reading over the replies so far I actually looked at my link for the picture and it seems to look like a low quality image compared to the image I uploaded. Hovering on it gives the option for Shift+R to make it better quality, but it does not help all that much.

I see the main thing people are worried about is proving it is not a monkey. I regret using the only term anyone ever gave the image. Personally I have no guess as to what it is and figured it was all in good fun to let people make a stab at it.

Was trying to keep the original post short and see what people had to say about it. After getting to the paranormal section of this forum and seeing some pretty terrible pics as I read through the old threads I figured I would post something I had no explanation for.

On a side note, my wife made me burn the chair simply because of 1 random photo that could not be duplicated. The chair she bought to replace it is much more comfortable so it wasn't a bad thing for me.

Could be worse, at least it doesn't look like dust or a bug (AKA) an orb.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see it. I see light reflecting off a shiny surface... That's all I see..

• Like 2

Thats not strange at all, new to cameras are we? lol

• Like 1

Not trying to be difficult, but camera anomollies are usually the problem. My brother traveled to the home that my grand parents once lived in and took a photo from the sidewalk. A curtain in a down stiars window looked like a woman in a gown and an orb in a upstairs window resembled a face. No one gave it a second thought as we all have seen these anomallies before.

• Like 1

Not trying to be difficult, but camera anomollies are usually the problem. My brother traveled to the home that my grand parents once lived in and took a photo from the sidewalk. A curtain in a down stiars window looked like a woman in a gown and an orb in a upstairs window resembled a face. No one gave it a second thought as we all have seen these anomallies before.

an orb in a upstairs window resembled a face

an orb in a upstairs window

an orb

We're gonna need more proof than that, buddy boy.

Just messing with you :whistle:

• Like 3

Well.. as long as the chair is now burnt :huh:, we are all safe...

• Like 4

I can't believe you burned a perfectly good chair over that picture. You could have given it to me. I, for one, wouldn't mind having a monkey ghost around.

(As for the photo itself, Chrlzs has already explained it better than I could have.)

• Like 2

Actually, yes, because the OP already lead my mind to expect what was there (please don't do that anymore when posting), I can see the "monkey face" if I squint really hard. But, as has been pointed out, it's an anomaly of the camera and other such things.

• Like 1

So if I took a; photo of the original poster and he has orbs... does he have to set himself on fire?

• Like 6

So if I took a; photo of the original poster and he has orbs... does he have to set himself on fire?

Anyone got a match or lighter?

• Like 2

Yes, yes he does.

• Like 1

On a side note, my wife made me burn the chair simply because of 1 random photo that could not be duplicated. The chair she bought to replace it is much more comfortable so it wasn't a bad thing for me.

Were there any unusual photos after your wife asked for a new car?

• Like 3

Having a second and closer look at the pic... I can see what your child meant by seeing the "monkey face".

I don't really believe in ghosts and goblins per se!.....although to me.... the face looked kind of demonic as well.

I don't know if I'd burn the chair........ I would have given it to someone that I didn't like instead :devil:

Edited by Astra00
  • Like 3

More like a raptor really.

• Like 2