Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who are you voting for?

Ever Learning

Who are you voting for in the European elections and why? How are you positively and negatively effected choosing to stay or leave the EU?

As an Ex Pat and had I registered,Would have to be UKIP.

After watching the Farage-Clegg debate there was no doubt that Clegg was blown out the water.

• Like 3

Im against the EU's common fishing policy, other countries being able to over fish in British waters.

• Like 1

UKIP. i'm old enough to have voted for the two main parties before, & I now understand what my father kept telling me for years i.e. that there isn't a razor blades width between them.

• Like 4

I passionately oppose the EU, and anyone that does not is furthering the deconstruction of their resp. national sovereignty (self- determination) and democracy as a whole.

'Europe' should have stopped at the stage of a trade union, this present United States of Europe wannabe is a nothing less than a Frankensteinish monstrosity, imho.

Voting would be unwise, as it legitimizes 'their' authority.. Possible (strategical) exception would be UKIP, or the likes.

• Like 3

Most likely it'll be labour. The important thing for me is not to vote for Ukip. A lot of people seem to be taken in by their policies on EU/immigration, completely ignoring that pretty much every other policy they have would have a profoundly negative impact on us if they got in.

What puzzles me is how the other major parties seem to be unwilling to deal with their main issue (and getting rid of them as a threat).

• Like 2

Sooo how does the E.U voting work. Does each county get one rep? or is it like a two house system where the bigger the country is the more reps it gets? Or are all the countries voting for the top guy.

Excuse my ignorance on this :innocent:

( and before a smart ass says anything, yes I know I could have Googled this, I just like people explaining better when the opportunity is there)

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Im against the EU's common fishing policy, other countries being able to over fish in British waters.

the British fishing fleet do the same, near the Faroes and Norway

Most likely it'll be labour. The important thing for me is not to vote for Ukip. A lot of people seem to be taken in by their policies on EU/immigration, completely ignoring that pretty much every other policy they have would have a profoundly negative impact on us if they got in.

What puzzles me is how the other major parties seem to be unwilling to deal with their main issue (and getting rid of them as a threat).

what are the other policies that you disagree with?

The only thing UKIP would work is getting more British Jobs and less people on benefits, what the benefits people don't realize that, is that they will lose there luxury.

For example i know someone who does not work and does not want to work and lives £200 on benefits and lives with his parents every month or so, payment wise or is that every two weeks. He thinks its funny missing appointments for the jobcentre.

But if he was made to work, he will go into depression, though he is depressed already

the British fishing fleet do the same, near the Faroes and Norway

are we fishing in the designated areas tho? this is an old link but as far as i know, we haven't been caught over fishing or straying from designated areas

http://www.independe...rs-7964246.html

if im honest though ive only recently read up on this, so happy to find out more

Edited by Ever Learning

What UKIP policy exactly, would even remotely approach the damage done by handing over the ability/authority to govern your nation to a technocratic elitist clique dictating your lives from their ivory tower in Brussels?

what are the other policies that you disagree with?

What UKIP policy exactly, would even remotely approach the damage done by handing over the ability/authority to govern your nation to a technocratic elitist clique dictating your lives from their ivory tower in Brussels?

Privatising the NHS, making people pay to visit their GP, scrapping maternity and holiday leave, cutting the education budget to instead build aircraft carriers, making cuts to green energy sources. And that's just the one's that spring to mind. Let's be honet wiith the amount of rascists, sexists and homophobes among their ranks who knows what else they'd try and impletment given the chance.

Is getting out of the EU really worth all that?

Ukip is built on a platform that getting out of the EU would solve all our problems, when really it seems they'd just make more for us. So is it worth it?

• Like 2

I'll be voting UKIP. and have done in the previous European elections. my position has never once faulted, The European Economic Community (1957) was an excellent idea. but once this shifted from a trade Union, to one dominated like we see today by politics and its now clear the end goal for the European Union is a Federation - so for me its all gone horribly wrong. people need to ask themselves the question do you want to be part of a Federation? if the answer is NO, then why carry on down the path spending and wasting time and capital in such a project.

Have people in this country really come to the point where they no longer believe in their own ability to govern themselves? - personally i cannot understand the defeatist attitude, the weak mindset of we cannot manage our own destiny we must have a foreign power, a Federation do it for us. and worst of all for me is when they say if Britain was to leave the EU we'd sink into the abyss. this maybe true if we was some newly formed tin pot country. and if it was true, the question we'd have to ask ourselves was how the hell did we allow that to happen?

I believe we should Govern ourselves in every sense of the word. just remember this, if we'd have listened to the Pro EU side, and joined the Euro currency, we'd have been in a situation worse than Greece. just imagine that for a second. and yet these people still wont admit they got it wrong they'd still happily lead us down a path for which we'd never return. their the same people who wake up every morning...see what they can find to demolish, to undermine, or cast away."

Appearing on the BBC News website - "No UK trade benefit from EU membership - Civitas report"

EU membership has not given the UK any "insider advantages" in trade with other European countries, a report by social policy think tank Civitas - It says trade with fellow EU nations makes up no more of the UK's trade with all top economies now than it did when it first joined the EEC in 1973. The benefit of collectively negotiated EU free trade deals is also questioned.

"There were 25 EU FTAs in force in 2012 while the Swiss had independently negotiated 26, 13 of which came into force before those of the EU and three in the same year." It adds that there is no evidence that the quality of the EU's trade agreements is any higher.

The report concludes: "The evidence presented contradicts again and again those who wish to claim that the UK has enjoyed insider advantages in the single market." Civitas says the UK's trade with other EU nations accounts for no more of its trade with all leading economies than it did on joining the European Economic Community in 1973.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 7

Privatising the NHS, making people pay to visit their GP, scrapping maternity and holiday leave, cutting the education budget to instead build aircraft carriers, making cuts to green energy sources. And that's just the one's that spring to mind. Let's be honet wiith the amount of rascists, sexists and homophobes among their ranks who knows what else they'd try and impletment given the chance.

Is getting out of the EU really worth all that?

Ukip is built on a platform that getting out of the EU would solve all our problems, when really it seems they'd just make more for us. So is it worth it?

Quite frankly yes....

http://www.betteroffout.net/the-case/10-eu-myths-about-withdrawl/

The pro EEC lobby would have you believe that the UK would collapse overnight if we left the Union,total rubbish of course...

• Like 1

Ofcourse it wont solve all your problems, and we both know claiming UKIP has implied that is both simply untrue and a wee bit tendentious. So no, it wont solve all your problems, but it will enable you and your fellow countrymen to solve your own, national problems.

To strive for your nation's own goals and aspirations. Be able to devalue your currency when needed, to negotiate your own trade agreements, to generally make decisions based on your specific situation, your national circumstances. In other words, to have control.

We're having enough trouble enforcing democracy at a national level (elections are formed based on deceit, and once election has passed, all bets are off - promises broken), I hardly think handing over authority to some sort of European elitist clique is going to prove beneficial in any shape, way or form.

Edit: EU stands for centralization of power and a high level of interdependancy (between heterogenic entities). What we need, is decentralization of power and a high level of self sufficiency. Imho.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 4

Ofcourse it wont solve all your problems, and we both know claiming UKIP has implied that is both simply untrue and a wee bit tendentious. So no, it wont solve all your problems, but it will enable you and your fellow countrymen to solve your own, national problems.

To strive for your nation's own goals and aspirations. Be able to devalue your currency when needed, to negotiate your own trade agreements, to generally make decisions based on your specific situation, your national circumstances. In other words, to have control.

We're having enough trouble enforcing democracy at a national level (elections are formed based on deceit, and once election has passed, all bets are off - promises broken), I hardly think handing over authority to some sort of European elitist clique is going to prove beneficial in any shape, way or form.

Edit: EU stands for centralization of power and a high level of interdependancy (between heterogenic entities). What we need, is decentralization of power and a high level of self sufficiency. Imho.

Seconded.

• Like 1

Apart from our Beer drinking, grinning buddy saying he would lead us out of Europe, what else has he got to offer, I have heard very little during his pub talks or speeches, of whether he would cut low paid earners taxes, stop Chinese rubbish imports , or any other gains or concessions that the 2 main parties have considered, bearing in mind that ALL of them will lie and cheat until they are elected then won't hold promises of what they've (hand on heart) said they would do.

I am firmly of the opinion that the UK does not fit the Standard Model for an EU Nation. It is highly competitive in the Financial Sector which is not matched by any other EU Member nation. It therefore needs to protect this sector and be able to control any unnecessary taxation imposed by the EU (the Financial Transaction Tax). At the moment, the UK does not have this guarantee, or indeed ability, to prevent this from occurring. Undermining the means by which a large part of a single EU nation's GDP is generated seems to be a crass attempt to bring that nations financial trading DOWN to an average EU Level.

As an ex-pat I wont be voting, but I would vote UKIP in this instance because EU membership is wrong for the UK - UKIP have also declared that once the Legal Ties to the EU Institutions had been severed through a referendum then they would stand down as Government and call an immediate General Election.

• Like 1

Apart from our Beer drinking, grinning buddy saying he would lead us out of Europe, what else has he got to offer, I have heard very little during his pub talks or speeches, of whether he would cut low paid earners taxes, stop Chinese rubbish imports , or any other gains or concessions that the 2 main parties have considered, bearing in mind that ALL of them will lie and cheat until they are elected then won't hold promises of what they've (hand on heart) said they would do.

trouble is we don't know what any political parties policy is unless you read their manifesto. but even then - as we find out once they get voted into office they renege on the pledges. see what you have to remember is this, the face of government might change but the civil servants behind the scenes, the ones who basically run the show, pull the strings never get voted out, the vast majority are in the job for life. Its the reason why so many governments promise so much but deliver so little, when a minister wants to change policy they will instruct their departments civil servants to carry out research into effects of certain policy changes. i think half the time they receive the findings, read it and find out certain policy changes have unforeseen consequences. hence the promises in the manifesto are abandoned and we never get to see the reasons why. so to us the plebs it appears on the surface as just another politician lying or breaking a manifesto pledge.

when it comes to UKIP i know they pledge to take those earning £10,000 or less out of tax altogther. but then again they can promise the world, basically anything because they wont form a government anytime soon. The best as a UKIP supporter i can hope for - is they win convincingly in the european elections and then gain three or four MP's in the general election. at least then they can influence government. like we have seen in the last few months. with both Labour and the Tories unable to agree on how best to tackle UKIP. they've tried the dirty tactics. the usual stuff that bring ministers down, expenses, affairs, corruption etc.... so far this as only seen UKIP rising in the polls. -

Its funny that UKIP supporters where seen as low brow racists, but now that the three main parties are losing their votes to UKIP - and in a desperate bid to get them back all three parties when asked NOW - are UKIP racist? they all say NO, because to say yes would be to insult the very people they are trying to win back, because by default if they said UKIP was racist surly that means - so are the people voting for them. its clear the three main parties are on a charm offensive. Yet rewind the clock back a good few years and they were calling UKIP, fruit cakes, loonies and closet racists. talk about how to win friends and influence policy.

Just to add, i see David Cameron said in a roundabout way, that he'd possibly have TV debates with UKIP's Nigel Farage. i think this would be a disaster for Cameron or Miliband. remember cameron was batted and so was labour in the general election TV debates by none other than Nick Clegg. who won all three if the polls are anything to go by. yet Nigel Farage absolutely destroyed Nick Clegg in the recent TV debates.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

UKIP all the way.

This country is suppose to be a democracy yet we are not allowed to vote on EU membership. Hopefully UKIP will win a landslide and the major parties will no longer be able to ignore us.

I would hold my breath on that however.

• Like 1

And when the Tories & Labour & Lib dumbs tell you their policies you believe them do you? Like the one about "vote for us & we'll give you a referendum on the E.U." that they came out with before the last election.

• Like 1

Besides the fact I am hardpressed to find any faulty logic in mr. Farrage's arguments (going out on a limb here in supposing you mean Farrage - whom absolutely destroyed mr. Clegg in the recent two part debate btw), are we to conclude you propose we put our combined trust in 'peoples champions' like Barroso or Verhofstadt to solve our problems, from Brussels? That decadent, detached, inefficient, unelected, international elitist clique? Come now.

Seems a bit, well, implausible..illogical? Let me be clear here, I am no Farage fanboy, and am aware of the pitfalls parties like UKIP and the like would potentially have. But I also realize handing over more and more authority to the EU superstate endeavor is the direct opposite of what need be done to end the negative trends we have (almost) become used to these days.

Any tool which could prevent that from happening should be considered, and certain concessions will be needed to reach this paramount goal. If that consession is helping a flawed party to power, so be it. Its a matter of choosing the lesser evil, the problems arising from an evergrowing level of authority in Brussels make any UKIP shortcomings pale in comparison. Also, lets not fool ourselves here in thinking the labour party, for instance, is not comparably flawed. On different aspects maybe, but certainly equally flawed nonetheless.

I did find one flaw in Farage's logic though; his stance towards members of Great Britain wanting independence from London. Although I think he has refined his opinion on that somewhat recently. Thats about it though.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1

You've found some logic in old nutty Farage's arguments? Could you send it in to them, it'll almost certainly be the first time anyone has.

The trouble is that, while there are indeed many arguments against the EU as a wannabe superpower and its policy of 'ever closer union', those arguments are articulated by a party that seems to be frankly nutty. This may be fair enough in the European Elections, which no one's ever really taken seriously, but if people take them seriously when it comes to the General election, there might be the possibility that the Nutty party might be in a position to hold the balance of power. In some ways this might be a welcome thing, if it brings about the demise of the current party system and, through their incompetence, might perhaps bring about the collapse of the entire Westminster government.