Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

proposal would limit size of gatherings

OverSword

A tidbit of information from the Fairfax website about this: http://www.fairfaxco.../groupassembly/

"Although occasional, large gatherings - such as private parties, house concerts, religious meetings and social clubs - are expected and permissible activities at a home,". Well, that's very generous of them to permit that, isn't it. :no:

• Like 3

All laws should expire in ten years automatically unless extended by the legislature or the law itself provides for an earlier expiration.

That actually seems like a really good idea.

A tidbit of information from the Fairfax website about this: http://www.fairfaxco.../groupassembly/

While seeming reasonable on the surface, the danger is that it can be used as a weapon to target people when there is no complaint. That's the problem with having a jillion laws, one can never be sure they're not violating one.
  • Like 1

That actually seems like a really good idea.

So you think that laws prohibiting murder, rape, theft, etc. should expire? Really?

So you think that laws prohibiting murder, rape, theft, etc. should expire? Really?

There's always someone who takes any argument to extremes. Of course some laws should be basic fundamentals, but you must surely agree there's a huge number of out of date or unnecessary laws that may have served a purpose at one time, but are well out of date now or circumstances have changed. Really I think in most constitutions or legal systems, the basic laws, such as those you mention, are pretty much established from the start, but every year there's more and more and more added until they really become self defeating since they spend so much time trying to enforce out of date or well intentioned but badly thought out laws (such, perhaps, as this one or the ones concerning the Inter net) that are drawn up by those who perhaps don't really understand the subject (laws about drugs, that's another good example) that they don't have time to enforce the basic, and perhaps more important, ones.

There's always someone who takes any argument to extremes. Of course some laws should be basic fundamentals, but you must surely agree there's a huge number of out of date or unnecessary laws that may have served a purpose at one time, but are well out of date now or circumstances have changed. Really I think in most constitutions or legal systems, the basic laws, such as those you mention, are pretty much established from the start, but every year there's more and more and more added until they really become self defeating since they spend so much time trying to enforce out of date or well intentioned but badly thought out laws (such, perhaps, as this one or the ones concerning the Inter net) that are drawn up by those who perhaps don't really understand the subject (laws about drugs, that's another good example) that they don't have time to enforce the basic, and perhaps more important, ones.

Well then I agree, with some noted exceptions.

The first post said "All laws should expire in ten years automatically unless extended by the legislature or the law itself provides for an earlier expiration." Note All laws, not some laws or most laws. So I don't really think I'm guilty of taking this argument to extremes.

Edited by Bama13

Unfortunately, there are people & groups who engage in anti-social behaviors that often lead to new laws or ordnances to meant to control that behavior. Some of the laws are good, some too extreme, and there's everything in between. But most of them are subject to public review & testimony, all community members are free to participate in the process. Everyone experiences the consequences of their behavior, we all have to take responsibility for our actions. When we ignore the common courtesies, when we act ways that are outside our community norms, there are likely to be repercussions, either legally, socially, or both.

If people feel the laws need to be continued then they will continue it . But having an expiration limit will get rid of the insane amount of unless laws we have on the books.

One state I forget which one up until a couple years ago still had a law not allowing black people in a county. The law was ignored for years but it was still technically in the books until someone bothered to get rid of it

Alot of laws we have are no longer needed but people just don't bother to take them out

Edited by spartan max2

If people feel the laws need to be continued then they will continue it . But having an expiration limit will get rid of the insane amount of unless laws we have on the books.

One state I forget which one up until a couple years ago still had a law not allowing black people in a county. The law was ignored for years but it was still technically in the books until someone bothered to get rid of it

Alot of laws we have are no longer needed but people just don't bother to take them out

I wouldn't trust the government not to drop the ball on one of these on occasion. But I agree that many laws, perhaps most laws, should expire periodically.

On one of those old funny facts and weird laws that supposedly still exist websites I read way back in the day one struck me as hilarious and I never forgot it. Tennessee, iirc, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car without a man on the hood with a gun warning all who could hear him that a woman driver is coming through!

• Like 2

I wouldn't trust the government not to drop the ball on one of these on occasion. But I agree that many laws, perhaps most laws, should expire periodically.

Maybe they should keep the *real* crimes off the table and target the ridiculous regulations that threaten freedom. Trim the slabs of fat off the meat.

Woman drivers do have a bad reputation all over the world, among men. I saw an interesting statistic (I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but order of magnitude will make the point). Women get seventy percent of the traffic citations in Vietnam (usually for failure to signal or improper lane or using a mobile phone while driving or things like that). Men suffer seventy percent of the traffic fatalities.

• Like 1

Woman drivers do have a bad reputation all over the world, among men. I saw an interesting statistic (I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but order of magnitude will make the point). Women get seventy percent of the traffic citations in Vietnam (usually for failure to signal or improper lane or using a mobile phone while driving or things like that). Men suffer seventy percent of the traffic fatalities.

Here, young men get the most speeding tickets. Hence the high insurance premiums. If you don't have vehicle insurance here, you face stiff fines and penalties. The state government once randomly checked, for compliance, through the mail.

Well Frank did say "All laws" so it was extreme already. Questioning the extremity wasn't what took it there, Bama13 was taking it back. So he surely agrees, yes.

Vietnam has a procedure where each section of the law code is reviewed periodically (on varying schedules) and changes made and then the whole thing must be re-enacted. The point is when you have a bad law that has special interests behind it, it is difficult to remove it, but if it expires automatically then the legislature has to affirmatively stick its neck out to keep the damn thing in place.

• Like 1