Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] New Tyrannosaur named 'Pinocchio rex'

seeder

A new type of Tyrannosaur with a very long nose has been nicknamed "Pinocchio rex".

The ferocious carnivore, nine metres long with a distinctive horny snout, was a cousin of Tyrannosaurus rex.

Its skeleton was dug up in a Chinese construction site and identified by scientists at Edinburgh University, UK.

The 66-million-year-old predator, officially named Qianzhousaurus sinensis, is described in Nature Communications.

"Pinocchio" looked very different to other tyrannosaurs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27296357

The ferocious carnivore, nine metres long with a distinctive horny snout, was a cousin of Tyrannosaurus rex. Its skeleton was dug up in a Chinese construction site and identified by scientists at Edinburgh University, UK.

The 66-million-year-old predator, officially named Qianzhousaurus sinensis, is described in Nature Communications.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27296357

• Like 1

ha just realised you posted that 2 mins before I did!!

Great minds think alike eh? :lol:

"Ferocious" "Carnivore".

Well we won't know till we clone it, will we?

Not that I don't agree, T-Rex and his cousins are predatory meat-eating badasses as far as I'm concerned--and until proven otherwise.

"Ferocious" "Carnivore".

Well we won't know till we clone it, will we?

Not that I don't agree, T-Rex and his cousins are predatory meat-eating badasses as far as I'm concerned--and until proven otherwise.

Well with a name like "Pinocchio rex", I wouldn't blame you for thinking that someone here is lying... :whistle:

• Like 1

Did its nose grow when he told a lie?

• Like 1

Did its nose grow when he told a lie?

More likely he was made out of wood and moaned about being a real boy.

I would love to see a DNA comparison with the U.S. Rex named " Sue " . Are they different races or different species .

Edited by ROGER

,,,can DNA be gotten from fossilized bones?

,,,can DNA be gotten from fossilized bones?

No, unfortunately. DNA does not survive the fossilization process. Otherwise we'd probably already have cloned dinosaurs running around.

So now we have T. rex falsus and T. rex verus....

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

No, unfortunately. DNA does not survive the fossilization process. Otherwise we'd probably already have cloned dinosaurs running around.

That's what I thought, but maybe some sort of magical breakthrough was done recently that I hadn't heard of; that's why I questioned ROGER's statement instead of shooting it down.

So the idea from "Jurassic Park" of extracting dinosaur DNA from amber couldn't happen?

http://www.unmuseum.org/dnadino.htm

Correct. It can't happen.

At least not right now. Who knows in the future...

Besides, I'm more of a fan of the dinosaurs from the Cretaceous period, not the Jurassic. That's where the cool ones are!!!

Edited by Hida Akechi

• 4 weeks later...

A great find, much like the universe, we think we know most things about the dinosaurs and 'tadaa' no you don't here is another thing you have never seen. lol

Edited by Silent Trinity