Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thylacine cameraman copped buttocks bite 1933

Timothy

'THE cameraman who took the famous footage of the last captive Tasmanian tiger was bitten on the buttocks while filming. '

Read on here: http://www.news.com....9-1226909234177

I do like some of the comments towards the end of the article from the curator, David Maynard, relating to why he believes the animal is extinct:

They were slow-growing, producing few young, and the last wild tiger was killed in 1930.

"At best they lived in the wild until 1950," Mr Maynard said.

"The last one probably died in the wild alone and unknown.

"The road kill in Tasmania is exceptional - 293,000 animals a year - and not one of them in the last 50 years has been a thylacine."

Personally, I believe they are extinct.

The CFZ expedition late 2013 also failed to turn up anything besides anecdotal evidence.

UM Thread here: http://www.unexplain....an tiger&st=15

And also there's this thread from 25th March '14 relating to a hunter who believes the growing popularity of dash cams will result in a sighting: http://www.unexplain....ian tiger&st=0

Zero out of 293,000 roadkill cases in Tasmania doesn't really support that. Foxes get killed on mainland Australia all the time and there's a lot more room to move here.

Or is there a saying I'm not aware of for thylacines which trumps 'sly as a fox'?

Edit: Please post in those threads if discussing those topics - I don't want to hijack them!

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 2

Oh why wasn't his name Claude Bottom...

• Like 1

Hm... Benjamin Bitten... wasn't he a British composer back in the day? :P

I imagine that by 1950 the cameraman was dining out fairly often on that story....

Is it just me who thinks this story suggests that it was the buttock biting that caused the thylacine's death?

• Like 2

I'd like to make a tongue-in-cheek joke, but this was more of a tooth-in-cheek event.

• Like 1

Were this a film, then he'd have mutated into a were-thylacine and gone on a rampage.

..butt biting fever strikes from behind?

Were this a film, then he'd have mutated into a were-thylacine and gone on a rampage.

Like in Howling III?

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Howling_III

The Australian werewolves have evolved separate from the rest of the werewolf population. They are marsupials - the female werewolves give birth to partly developed young which then makes its way to a pouch.

The final shot shows a picture of a thylacine, or Tasmanian tiger, a marsupial carnivore which was hunted to extinction by Australian farmers to protect their sheep. It was the inspiration for the film.
Edited by DieChecker

I guess if you're going to go extinct, go out with a bang and try to take one of your tormentors with you.

Please get your facts right - the thylacine is definitely NOT extinct . . .

??

Which facts are wrong? On what basis?

Your bark needs some bite.

Pun intended.

• Like 1

Can't say I blame the thylacine, it was living it horrid conditions, I'd bite someone to.

Hi Dave, are you in Tasmania or mainland?

It would be pretty amazing if they were still alive, can you please give a little more information?

• 1 month later...

220px-Wilf_Batty_last_wild_Thylacine.jpg

Wilf Batty with the last thylacine that was killed in the wild.

He looks very proud of himself. Idiot.

220px-Wilf_Batty_last_wild_Thylacine.jpg

Wilf Batty with the last thylacine that was killed in the wild.

He looks very proud of himself. Idiot.

I don't know that he was an idiot. If they were known to kill livestock then you cannot blame him for ridding his property of it. I get raccoons that kill my chicken that I catch in a cage and kill (drown actually). I don't know for certain that the raccoon is endangered, but I have to kill it anyway. Of course if I knew the raccoon was endangered then I would not put it down. If this guy knew it was the last Thylacine and killed it, then he is an idiot.

• Like 1