Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Singing songs of worship in church

GoldenWolf

It might be a useful and at least interesting exercise to get together a bunch of worthies to decide what should be "scripture," on a non-exclusionary basis.

As the passage says, Scripture is useful for teaching and setting things straight and so on and is inspired by God. That would mean not that it would be interpreted literally but as a guide (the word is "useful," not decisive), mainly for moral and philosophical issues, so fiction like Shakespeare and Dickens and Mark Twain would be included (not unlike the inclusion of Job in the present canon), as well as poetry and of course some of the writings of great philosophers.

What do I mean when I say it should be inspired by God when I'm an atheist? I think that is something theists will never be able to comprehend -- "God" is shorthand for the universe and what is good about it and what makes it function -- as in Einstein's "God doesn't play dice with the universe." Also, of course, "inspired" does not mean written by God but inspired in general the way great authors do not claim to know where their great ideas come from (of course they come from their subconscious, so it is a good subconscious that produces God-inspired things).

• 3 weeks later...

So we had the dopamine explanation for a high during worship. What then is the explanation for everyone getting high simultaneously, as when a certain song really took off suddenly last Sunday morning? Pheremones?