Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4-year-old's NDE is turned in to hit movie

UM-Bot

Colton Burpo described a visit to heaven during a vivid near-death experience following a burst appendix.

After he had woken up from surgery, the then four-year-old told his father, a preacher, that he had visited heaven and described in remarkable detail how he had met up with the Virgin Mary, John the Baptist and even Jesus, who he described as having "a bright smile".

Read More: http://www.unexplain...in-to-hit-movie

• Like 2

All speculative, he could have heard is parents talking about his dead sister, subconsciously picked up clues, and his dad is a preacher, of course the kid "went to heaven." Wait......maybe it is true.

Edited by Jyre Cayce

A 4 year old's account??? WTF?? Must be a pretty smart (coerced) 4 year old, he also left out the part where he talked to Barney and saw Santa Claus also.

• Like 2

Nothing to prove this is false either. i find NDE's very strange and enjoy reading about them. some of the stories are truly amazing. either way we will know for sure one day

• Like 6

All speculative, he could have heard is parents talking about his dead sister, subconsciously picked up clues, and his dad is a preacher, of course the kid "went to heaven." Wait......maybe it is true.

We will never know unless it happens to us but putting the anecdote out there into the "body of evidence" may mean something to someone one day that we cannot fathom with what little we know today, so I say let them tell their story and suspend judgement until we have something solid to work with in our own lives or in discoveries of science.

• Like 7

Personally, I don't really believe in Heaven and hell. I do however believe in different dimensions within our universe, which I think may explain his experience a little better for me.

• Like 1

Well I can understand people not believing this, but to make a joke about it and totally dismiss it I think is probably not the smartest.

You don't know me and I'd get why you don't believe me, but I'm positive that it did happen.

I'm sure I won't convince the disbelievers, but perhaps just open your mind a bit.

:)

We will never know unless it happens to us but putting the anecdote out there into the "body of evidence" may mean something to someone one day that we cannot fathom with what little we know today, so I say let them tell their story and suspend judgement until we have something solid to work with in our own lives or in discoveries of science.

I'm not discounting the report. I always find it interesting that everyone with a near death experience goes to Heaven and not Hell. Isn't there a number in the Bible stating that only a certain number of people will be admitted?
  • Like 1

Wouldn't God revealing himself to him go against what Christianity is about? The idea of you not having evidence, you have to have faith instead, despite the lack of evidence?

If there is no afterlife, or "alternate" life after death, we will never know if he was right. We all die of something, as my grandmother always used to say. It would be nice if the life we are living now isn't the only chance we get.

Awesome, NDEs are one of my favorite topics! I'm going to go make some popcorn. Be right back.

Then on the flip side of the coin, it's speculative on you're part about him hearing his parents talk and subconsciously picking up clues.

Or any other speculation that counters the kid's experience. Sounds like a stalemate.

• Like 2

If there is no afterlife, or "alternate" life after death, we will never know if he was right. We all die of something, as my grandmother always used to say. It would be nice if the life we are living now isn't the only chance we get.

Some believe that we just die and become part of the earth and that's it. But if we do have a lifeforce that leaves the body when our flesh

body dies, we will definitely know for certain. The experience may not be exactly what is written in certain doctrines, but similar.

• Like 2

I find it curious that his father is a preacher. Its probable that he was told stories of heaven and Jesus since birth thus engrained in his subconscious. It would be more compelling if a isolated tribe of people had these same nde without prior knowledge of Christianity.

• Like 5

If it had happened to a non Christian it would be a story...

• Like 2

I'm not discounting the report. I always find it interesting that everyone with a near death experience goes to Heaven and not Hell. Isn't there a number in the Bible stating that only a certain number of people will be admitted?

There has been several accounts of a NDE and going to hell.

http://listverse.com/2013/09/15/10-astonishing-near-death-experiences/

• Like 2

I find it curious that his father is a preacher. Its probable that he was told stories of heaven and Jesus since birth thus engrained in his subconscious. It would be more compelling if a isolated tribe of people had these same nde without prior knowledge of Christianity.

Personally I have always been very Skeptical about heavenly excursions and also believe these are driven by a persons beliefs and life experiences.The Brain is a very complex thing and maybe it is programmed to make death a more pleasant experience for us..

• Like 1

Rather than NDE, perhaps he has just accessed the genetic memory of his parents' memories.

But we do know for certain, or we can know with certainty, without a NDE happening to us. For those who are Christians, we are certain because the Bible tells us so (i.e., Heaven and Hell are real). For those who are not Christian you can know with certainty that Heaven and Hell are real by becoming a born again Christian, accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior! Just for the record, I am a Christian, I believe in Heaven and Hell, but I do not believe this child's story.

I find that nde, o.b.e (out of body experience) and sleep paralysis all orginate from the same portion of our brain. As we transition from conscious and unconscious brain wave activity we are likely to experience mystical events. The experience you have is completely cultural. For example when Americans experience sleep paralysis they see demons or extraterrestrials. When Japanese have the same neurological experience they see an old woman with a lantern. It solely depends on your upbringing.

• Like 1

My wife was listening to a radio program where a pastor was discussing this family, the child and the movie. She said that he did not believe the story based on theological and Biblical reasons. Unfortunately I did not hear the show.

It does beg the question when are you really dead? People have been resuscitated after hours under near freezing water, etcetera, but are you really dead if you can be brought back? I believe this is why the Lord let Lazarus lay so long in the tomb before raising him and why He Himself was in the grave three days, so that death, actual death, could be verified in both cases.

There have been atheist who have converted to Christianity after having a NDE. Howard Storm for example.

http://youtu.be/oRk9_dK7Quo

• Like 1

There have been atheist who have converted to Christianity after having a NDE. Howard Storm for example.

http://youtu.be/oRk9_dK7Quo

Thanks for the link hawkin. I believe anyone who is familiar with the concept of heaven and hell (almost all of the world) Is susceptible to a form of inception. Whether they are athiest or not doesnt matter. Its prior knowledge of the Christian concepts that matters. Thats why I said an isolated tribe having the same experiences with the virgin Mary and jesus would be profound.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link hawkin. I believe anyone who is familiar with the concept of heaven and hell (almost all of the world) Is susceptible to a form of inception. Whether they are athiest or not doesnt matter. Its prior knowledge of the Christian concepts that matters. Thats why I said an isolated tribe having the same experiences with the virgin Mary and jesus would be profound.

Have you heard of any reports of a Buddhist having an experience with Buddha or a Hindu with Kali or their other Gods? Just curious.