Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Acid-spewing bug inspires ATM defense

UM-Bot

Researchers are turning to the natural world to help find new ways of tackling cash machine thieves.

The bombardier beetle possesses a highly potent defense mechanism that is sure to discourage even the most determined of predators. When the insect is threatened it mixes together two chemicals stored in chambers within its own body to produce a toxic acidic spray that can be spewed on to its enemies.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...res-atm-defense

Sounds great for the spur of the moment heist. However anyone who planned an ATM robbery would hide his identity. All they need to do is wear a protective face mask. Protects both.

Edited by paperdyer

Watch a young kid hit one and get sprayed....

Honestly, I thought acid spewing creatures were just Hollywood creations.

With that said, I'm sure it will be more entertaining to watch those surveillance cameras from now on. Hehe.

• Like 1

Wow, this is stupid. I can envision multiple ways around this and some that would even involving injuring innocent bystanders. For example, one can force someone else at gunpoint to open it for them. Or another is just to open it using protective gear. Even tracking devices are useless since an entire machine can be encased with something that scrambles the signal making it untracable.

There is really no way to defend against these thefts. The only option is to detect a break-in and as a response, something destroys the cash inside the machine. The paper it's printed on is useless and insured by the FDIC and can always be replaced. What would be the point in attempting the theft of a machine only to have the money destroyed before even opening it?

• Like 2

Wow, this is stupid. I can envision multiple ways around this and some that would even involving injuring innocent bystanders. For example, one can force someone else at gunpoint to open it for them. Or another is just to open it using protective gear. Even tracking devices are useless since an entire machine can be encased with something that scrambles the signal making it untracable.

There is really no way to defend against these thefts. The only option is to detect a break-in and as a response, something destroys the cash inside the machine. The paper it's printed on is useless and insured by the FDIC and can always be replaced. What would be the point in attempting the theft of a machine only to have the money destroyed before even opening it?

Well thought out and said, there will be innocent victims and acid that can be "triggered" by a malfunction would be tragic and an unwarranted risk. Destroy the money instead, that is a much more sensible deterrent. :yes:

• Like 1

So, no lawyers in Switzerland?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why MAKE a security system when you could just train the insects to keep guard? It would save money, and you wouldn't have to worry about any malfunctioning equipment!

What? A Gummybun can dream!

• Like 1

Oh, I just can't wait till I hear about the thief winning a lawsuit over how he was slightly blinded by the acid that prevented him from being able to steal and how he will for ever be emotionally scarred by the incident... -LoLzzz

Edited by LimeGelatin
  • Like 2

Many jurisdictions in the States have laws against booby traps meant to repel intruders from homes. This is certainly a booby trap but since many ATMs are owned by banks, our federal gubmint might just give them a blanket pass.

• 1 month later...

Dumb invention I mean there is "Pepper Spray" why Acid? Scientist should have originality...