Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Elf Whisperer of Iceland

Still Waters

For some reason I couldn't open the link. I'll try again later.

I remember hearing a while back that in Iceland it's a fairly common held belief. I don't recall the percentages though. At first I thought it was an 'Onion' type news article so I checked it out, and it's true. They even have an 'Elf School' where they'll teach you about the 13 different types.

eta: "In one 1998 survey, 54.4 percent of Icelanders said they believed in the existence of elves."

Source and more on Jónsdóttir: http://www.theatlant...e-elves/280783/

So Santa really lives in Iceland or is it just his summer home?

You screw with the elves and bad things happen. :unsure:

See the US isn't the only screwed-up country.

I think someones had a bit to much wacky backy

Nah, that's what happens from listening to Björk all day.

• Like 1

Oh, do I see the oldest couch-militant sceptic straw man again? How cute...

Actually, there are, thank gods, plenty of doctors who are naturally aware of psychological, psychiatric and spiritual component and just how inseparable it is from physical health.

If your doctor thinks of human body as of biological machine and doesn't understand the wholeness of life, you better find one more intelligent and you do that right now. Your life depends on it.

Now please do say something condescening again. Fairies told me crush you verbally :D

Then you check your blood pressure and tell me how much it went up. Yup, that's simplified example of how it works :D

I assume you must be a big fan of Deepak Chopra?

It's a shame this Elf Whisperer cannot find Smurf Village, and fight against Gargamel.

I assume you must be a big fan of Deepak Chopra?

Never heard of the guy.

Could you tell me what you wanted to say by posting a video before I decide if I’ll spend some of my precious time watching it?

It's a shame this Elf Whisperer cannot find Smurf Village, and fight against Gargamel.

Not as shameful as not knowing anything about traditions outside your own and speaking disrespectfully of them.

Would you be so kind to tell me what are your religious preferences (atheism included) so I can respond with equally scornful jokes about your belief?

There's even a chance mine will be funny, unlike yours.

• Like 3

It's part of the Icelandic culture and beliefs.

If people think they've a right to mock this woman and her elves, then also laugh at mainstream religions too.

• Like 4

Watch out, the science modernists will attack.

It's part of the Icelandic culture and beliefs.

If people think they've a right to mock this woman and her elves, then also laugh at mainstream religions too.

I think they are doing that already.

• Like 1

Oh, I know. It’s not “I heard about it”, it’s “I know”.

But there’s huge difference between overreacting, sensitivity and psychosis.

Seeing a random shadow and having your brain read it as a person that’s attacking you and reacting appropriately to your interpretation instead of to actual reality is not particularly sane but people can rationalize it instantly. Psychosis prevents you from rationalizing it, ever.

Sensing the atmosphere of a place, of all things present is just spiritual, poetic if you will, mode of our brains. We can choose if we’ll turn it on or shut it down. Anxiety can crank it up or shut it down, depends on zillion factors, but there’s no brigade of sceptics that can separate me from my complete experience of this existence. After all, is there a sceptic that was never drawn to or away from a place or a person without any apparent reason?

Often it’s both. Things and people are rarely monochrome.

It doesn’t really matter, in my opinion. What matters is that elves are still there and will be there at least for as long as there’s someone to see them ;)

I don't know if I believe in elves or not. I sit on the fence. However, I have a life-threatening allergy to people who think we should all think and know the same things, or those that think our thoughts need to be controlled by someone other than the thinker himself. The use of ridicule is one of the indicators of those people I am allergic to.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

I knew someone from Iceland once. She was sometimes violent, actually, though usually when certain keywords--triggers were uttered in her presence. She may have been an Elf, don't know how peaceful/not Icelandic elves are... or it was just her viking roots. :unsure2:

I knew someone from Iceland once. She was sometimes violent, actually, though usually when certain keywords--triggers were uttered in her presence. She may have been an Elf, don't know how peaceful/not Icelandic elves are... or it was just her viking roots. :unsure2:

Or just crazy.

I usually vote just crazy

Never heard of the guy.

Could you tell me what you wanted to say by posting a video before I decide if I’ll spend some of my precious time watching it?

Not as shameful as not knowing anything about traditions outside your own and speaking disrespectfully of them.

Would you be so kind to tell me what are your religious preferences (atheism included) so I can respond with equally scornful jokes about your belief?

There's even a chance mine will be funny, unlike yours.

You should check Chopra out.I have a feeling you will be impressed.

As for me I am a Heavens Gate Scientologist 7th day Hot Tubbist Buddhist.

You should check Chopra out.I have a feeling you will be impressed.

You should check out what the sarcasm is. You will be amazed.

As for me I am a Heavens Gate Scientologist 7th day Hot Tubbist Buddhist.

And there’re so many of you. “Confused” should become new official religion since no one is truly an atheist, there are only egocentric little drama queens that deny the existence of higher power simply because it didn’t make them centre of the Universe.

I’m especially annoyed with contempt or hostilities against pagan traditions because these are our genuine spiritual ways, that wouldn’t survive centuries of aggressive political Christianity (I have no issues with spiritual Christianity) if they were not true to our souls.

Now check if you have one before you talk to me again.

• Like 2

You should check out what the sarcasm is. You will be amazed.

And there’re so many of you. “Confused” should become new official religion since no one is truly an atheist, there are only egocentric little drama queens that deny the existence of higher power simply because it didn’t make them centre of the Universe.

I’m especially annoyed with contempt or hostilities against pagan traditions because these are our genuine spiritual ways, that wouldn’t survive centuries of aggressive political Christianity (I have no issues with spiritual Christianity) if they were not true to our souls.

Now check if you have one before you talk to me again.

Thanks for the deeply psychotic display.

Thanks for the deeply psychotic display.

My favourite way of dealing with passive-aggressive little know-it-alls, who draw so much pleasure from thinking their ideology of utter materialistic despair will make them finally control others.

It's inferiority complex behind the need to control others, you know.

But your problems are not the topic.

Elves of Iceland are the topic.

If locals know there’s something about certain places, there is something about these places.

That, what traditional mind translates as Elves, counselled people for generations. It might as well be our way of tapping more directly into field of consciousness.

Who knows. I don’t. But I know there’s something that can whisper back to us, especially in times of need.

• Like 2

Yeah.... Back on topic... Let's see some pics of these elves. Any Icelandic elf will do.

• Like 2

Yeah.... Back on topic... Let's see some pics of these elves. Any Icelandic elf will do.

Diechecker, you'll never see them unless they want to be seen by you.

Diechecker, you'll never see them unless they want to be seen by you.

Magical I guess??

You shouldn’t write prescriptions on the Internet. It’s more dangerous than seeing elves.

In fact, seeing elves is not dangerous at all.

Medicating people because they are not boring enough for your taste is.

Some things exist, who knows what it is, energies, seen as archetypes... it doesn't mean they are physically there but it doesn't mean people who are willing to sense them are insane.

It's probably more insane to believe we're conscious just so that we could perceive how there's nothing but endless circles of births, eating, ****ting and dying. And so on, I'm not even inspired for a rant.

Hallucinations can be a sympton of some serious stuff though. Schizophrenia, brain tumor/lesions, psychosis, epilepsy, etc. But obviously she has gone to some doctors- they may not have done enough tests. Or it could be a mental disorder, those are tough to diagnose. Maybe she should see a psychologist?

Or it could simply be attention. Thats a common delusion causer too ;)

• Like 1

Hallucinations can be a sympton of some serious stuff though. Schizophrenia, brain tumor/lesions, psychosis, epilepsy, etc. But obviously she has gone to some doctors- they may not have done enough tests. Or it could be a mental disorder, those are tough to diagnose. Maybe she should see a psychologist?

Some people do not want to think rationally because it does not provide comfort for them.

All around the World including Iceland have hallucinogenic plants, or even animals.

Take these sacred things then you too can see Gods, Angels, Pixies, Hobbits, and Elves.

http://www.naag.org/salvia-divinorum-not-your-fathers-garden-plant.php

Of course as you pointed out a malfunctioning Brain can have the same results with no sacred substances required.Sometimes a malfunctioning Brain is easy to spot just by it's lack of logic.

So, we should repeat tests until the results are what we think they should be?

How about we test anyone who has ever felt advised or comforted after a prayer? It must be delusion, since there’s no higher power you can subject to tests.

Elves are part of old religion, and if you go back few posts you’ll see what I guess could be more modern view on it, without doing the old black/white or is/isn’t mistake.

Putting all spirituality into mental disorder basket is not just offensive to people who are objectively saner than deniers, but is also dangerous. The society where spirituality challenged are telling complete persons what exists and what not, would be like society where the blind are ridiculing and medicating those who can see.

In my opinion, when one believes they have found the faith is a mental disorder, and what causes it, they themselves are very obviously victims of dellusion of grandeur. Messianic complex, now in atheist edition! :lol: Such delighful irony.

Dr. Michael Shermer was abducted by Aliens once.He knows the power of the Human Brain, and how fallable it is though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxg21F_I5U0

So, we should repeat tests until the results are what we think they should be?

How about we test anyone who has ever felt advised or comforted after a prayer? It must be delusion, since there’s no higher power you can subject to tests.

Elves are part of old religion, and if you go back few posts you’ll see what I guess could be more modern view on it, without doing the old black/white or is/isn’t mistake.

Putting all spirituality into mental disorder basket is not just offensive to people who are objectively saner than deniers, but is also dangerous. The society where spirituality challenged are telling complete persons what exists and what not, would be like society where the blind are ridiculing and medicating those who can see.

In my opinion, when one believes they have found the faith is a mental disorder, and what causes it, they themselves are very obviously victims of dellusion of grandeur. Messianic complex, now in atheist edition! :lol: Such delighful irony.

I'm not claiming that believing in a higher power is delusion, or being comforted by prayer, or even believing in elves! Theres a pretty big distinction between religion and delusion. How many Christians regualry claim to see Jesus come in their living room at night and have a chat with them? Or for Hindus to claim they give Shiva dinner parties now and again? Believing in things is human nature and I do not look down on the religious at all.

But this woman claims she is SEEING and SPEAKING to little imaginary beings. That she does so casually and admits to talking to something only she can see. Even the religious would find that odd. Feeling 'compelled' to do something by God by getting the idea and knowing it was divinely sent, or having religious dreams that relayed a message... thats not crazy. Actively seeing and hearing the voices of things that are not there IS indictive of a mental disorder and not a religion.

(I don't even think it's stupid or crazy they fought to keep the holy 'elf church' rock from being destroyed. Sacred sites are important, and if your religion says important spiritual beings live there I don't find it odd in the least you would defend it. Of course, most of those protesters did not have elf friends who visit them and tell them what do do.)