Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Simulated Universe

Gman95

G'day. There is talk of an accurate simulated universe down to the very atom.

This got me thinking... what if this simulation creates self aware beings like us? The code was not design for such things but being near-randomly generated could the code evolve itself?

• Like 1

I have seen calculations that if such a thing is possible then the odds are overwhelming we are in one.

If the simulation created sentient beings then would the simulation itself become self aware? It sounds like a thing from Battlestar Galactica...

No but a detailed simulation allowed to run long enough would evolve life and maybe intelligent life. The thing itself though would have no mechanism for becoming sentient, only beings that evolved in it. At least that is how I understand it.

No but a detailed simulation allowed to run long enough would evolve life and maybe intelligent life. The thing itself though would have no mechanism for becoming sentient, only beings that evolved in it. At least that is how I understand it.

I disagree a system filled with conscious beings has the potential to form a conscious super organism. Just because those beings might not be aware of it doesn't mean it might not behave that way from a larger outside perspective.

I disagree a system filled with conscious beings has the potential to form a conscious super organism. Just because those beings might not be aware of it doesn't mean it might not behave that way from a larger outside perspective.

I'm sorry but you do seem to sometimes be air-headed. Nothing is impossible; so what?

I'm sorry but you do seem to sometimes be air-headed. Nothing is impossible; so what?

"Air headed?" :D Because I disagree with you. Ok there Frank. Bad mood this morning are we?

As I said, anything is possible. You are probably leading to the fact of sentience in our universe meaning the cosmos is sentient. I ain't buyin' it and you need to show me where it is something more than air-headed.

As I said, anything is possible. You are probably leading to the fact of sentience in our universe meaning the cosmos is sentient. I ain't buyin' it and you need to show me where it is something more than air-headed.

Your mind and body is a universe to the microbes, cells, proteins etc etc that inhabit it. Nature time and time again shows us that it builds upon itself through evolution. The mistake many make is that we are separate. We are not. It's an illusion. Consider for a moment, you were the size of a large reg giant star. When you analyzed the earth, you would see an entity. That 1) re acted with its environment. ( you sent a little asteroid its way and the earth sent little things out to deflect it). 2) was trying to reproduce. ( again you observed little see like pods were sent to neighboring planets to inceminate it with life like itself) 3) it responded a tiny burst of coherent radio waves you sent its way with a coherent burst back. ( communication ?) hard to tell because entire generations of what makes its innerworkings come into being then die back into the system in the course of what is only a few moments to you. About 300,000 years is a day in the life of the sun comparatively speaking.

From your perspective the earth would be a tiny living thing with some awareness of its surroundings, but not nearly as much as your own.

It's a matter of perspective frank. It's terribly arrogant to assume we are the only type of consciousness.

• Like 1

G'day. There is talk of an accurate simulated universe down to the very atom.

This got me thinking... what if this simulation creates self aware beings like us? The code was not design for such things but being near-randomly generated could the code evolve itself?

Yes. This is called a 'glitch' in the Matrix.

This one does it better.

• Like 1

As I said anything is possible; because someone can think it up don't mean anything more than that someone can think it up.

As I said anything is possible; because someone can think it up don't mean anything more than that someone can think it up.

Well..... I suppose there is no way of learning anything without some "airheadedness" then. There is a big difference between making things up and making an attempt to observe them from a different perspective. Last time I checked, none of the material presented in those videos was made up though.

We are living proof that whatever consciousness is, at least one part of the universe can produce it. No one can doubt that we are just a small part of a much larger system. Maybe it's just me being an airhead, but I find it terribly unlikely that our little smidgin of awareness only exists with us on our scales. It's the same fallacy of thinking we are the center of the universe just in a different form.

• Like 1

Simulated universe, or holographic universe? Michael Talbot wrote a book about that subject, fairly persuasive.

Edited by Babe Ruth

Simulations I understand; how a universe might be a holograph I don't.

Simulations I understand; how a universe might be a holograph I don't.

There are two ways to look at holographic concepts. One being what a true hologram is. A true hologram containes all the information of the whole in its smallest parts. Sort of like DNA. ( this a loose analogy thought). There is some solid ideas that this is true if string theory (s) happens to be true.

The other is some sort of informational process that is played out on the event horizon of a black hole that is our universe. I never really got that one. The idea is buried in complicated mathematics.

• Like 1

Seems if you take any volume of space, compress it until it becomes a black hole, all the information contained in that volume of space exists on the surface of the black hole as Planck area bits of information. So that volume of three dimensional space is actually a hologram, as all the information within it exists on its two dimensional surface.

So, encircling the universe is a two dimensional 'wall' or membrane or something which contains all of the information of the universe. The universe is a sort of projection of that membrane. (?)

post-50472-0-51928600-1399807010_thumb.j

Seems if you take any volume of space, compress it until it becomes a black hole, all the information contained in that volume of space exists on the surface of the black hole as Planck area bits of information. So that volume of three dimensional space is actually a hologram, as all the information within it exists on its two dimensional surface.

So, encircling the universe is a two dimensional 'wall' or membrane or something which contains all of the information of the universe. The universe is a sort of projection of that membrane. (?)

You see this is strange to me. It also seems to necessitate the universe is indeed in a black hole of another universe. I think this is likely, but if a black hole can be considered density approaching infinity, then it is stretching space to words it infinantly. What would this look like? Well it might look like 3 dimensional space expanding exponentially with two horizons. One horizon where the expansion seemed to originate from a point and the other where it was expanding faster than light. The reminds me an awful lot of this universe. I just can't see through the math why it would all have to be encoded at the event horizon.

Simulated universe, or holographic universe? Michael Talbot wrote a book about that subject, fairly persuasive.

Which subject? The simulated universe is entirely different to the holographic universe.

Which subject? The simulated universe is entirely different to the holographic universe.

Well, I was thinking a simulated universe could be constructed as a hologram. The two dimensional surface of the event horizon of the universe could be where all the information is stored, and the universe itself could be a three dimensional projection of this information.

Well, I was thinking a simulated universe could be constructed as a hologram. The two dimensional surface of the event horizon of the universe could be where all the information is stored, and the universe itself could be a three dimensional projection of this information.

Although the holographic universe could be from a simulation the holographic principle doesn't propose or even require a simulated universe, and quite within possibility of being natural.

Although the holographic universe could be from a simulation the holographic principle doesn't propose or even require a simulated universe, and quite within possibility of being natural.

I agree, considering what that's worth. Anyway, from this article {link below} (or what I get out of it) the universe seems to contain 10^120 bits of information. There is also a limit to computational power based on how much energy (bits) is available . I think we would have to use all the available energy in the universe to create a computer that could simulate the universe (excluding the computer itself).

I think a simulation could bypass all this by only simulating the laws that determine quantum behavior. The quanta themselves could be extrapolated by some algorythm. You wouldn't have to simulate each quantum particle and all the degrees of freedom.

The computer itself would lie 'outside' the universe it simulates. Perhaps an even easier method would be to create a hologram that 'projects' a universe. This way you also wouldn't have to simulate every possible event, All possible events would be contained in the information of the area of the hologram itself. The projected universe would just be a function of this information, would be performing instructions.

Link:

http://edge.org/conversation/the-computational-universe

Edited by StarMountainKid

I agree, considering what that's worth. Anyway, from this article {link below} (or what I get out of it) the universe seems to contain 10^120 bits of information. There is also a limit to computational power based on how much energy (bits) is available . I think we would have to use all the available energy in the universe to create a computer that could simulate the universe (excluding the computer itself).

I think a simulation could bypass all this by only simulating the laws that determine quantum behavior. The quanta themselves could be extrapolated by some algorythm. You wouldn't have to simulate each quantum particle and all the degrees of freedom.

The computer itself would lie 'outside' the universe it simulates. Perhaps an even easier method would be to create a hologram that 'projects' a universe. This way you also wouldn't have to simulate every possible event, All possible events would be contained in the information of the area of the hologram itself. The projected universe would just be a function of this information, would be performing instructions.

Link:

http://edge.org/conversation/the-computational-universe

The universe solves one of those problems by superposition. A lot of the computational power that the universe needs to hold something reality is not needed when something is in superposition. There is no need to pinpoint its position only maintain probabilities. Simulation games solve this problem the same exact way. There is no need to manifest the visual and audio experiences of an entire world only what is needed to function at the monent. In nature subatomic particles only manifest as particles when they need to be there otherwise, they only exist as a wave if potentials that stretch across the entire universe itself.

Pretty good evidence that something highly sophisticated is happening back stage possibly a simulation, though it may be possible we cannot possibly understand it being products of it ourselves.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Didn't Stephen Hawking fight him tooth and nail on that subject