Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China may build an undersea train to America

Still Waters

China is planning to build a train line that would, in theory, connect Beijing to the United States. According to a report in the Beijing Times, citing an expert at the Chinese Academy of Engineering, Chinese officials are considering a route that would start in the country's northeast, thread through eastern Siberia and cross the Bering Strait via a 125-mile long underwater tunnel into Alaska.

http://www.washingto...ain-to-america/

I don't know about this....125 miles of underwater tunnels honestly sound incredibly dangerous...what if the train derails somewhere in the middle? how could they be there in time? and who is gonna control and check all those rails constantly?

• Like 1

Let's see if they use the project to claim that Alaska is part of China.

In fact I admire their ambition, if they limit it to construction and exploits and not politics.

• Like 5

I don't know about this....125 miles of underwater tunnels honestly sound incredibly dangerous...what if the train derails somewhere in the middle? how could they be there in time? and who is gonna control and check all those rails constantly?

No one says you have to use it and I imagine they will have thought of that.

I guess they will have to negotiate with our Russian friends to go through Siberian soil, (end of project).

The proposed path crosses two major tectonic boundaries known for starting huge earthquakes. If this is serious, they had better know what they are doing.

Brilliant!! Simply Brilliant... the world needs such mega - projects to move technology forward, without it being the result of "conflict Response". Not sure if I agree with 2 major tectonic boundaries naysaying because it all depends on the final routing of the railway.

Looking forward to more information coming forward.

• Like 2

Putting aside the safety and construction concerns if this materialises it's great that the railway still holds such a strong position in our transport networks after 300 years.

Why? Do "we" really need it?

You could apply that to so many things mankind has built on a global and individual scale, now lets imagine the world if we did.

Edit:

You could apply that negativity to so many things mankind has built on a global and individual scale, now lets imagine the world if we applied 'do we really need it' to the rest of the worlds infrastructure.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 3

You could apply that to so many things mankind has built on a global and individual scale, now lets imagine the world if we did.

What we "need" and what would be of major benefit to everyone involved are two different things. Needless to say cost-benefit and risk analyses and environmental impact studies would be done, but I fully expect designs that pass them would work. It would be a huge improvement over all the aircraft in the skies and that will be in future skies as the population's wealth increases.
  • Like 3

Needless to say cost-benefit and risk analyses and environmental impact studies would be done, but I fully expect designs that pass them would work. It would be a huge improvement over all the aircraft in the skies and that will be in future skies as the population's wealth increases.

No need to tell me Frank, I think Hobbit Feet is the one with the concerns. :tu:

• Like 2

No need to tell me Frank, I think Hobbit Feet is the one with the concerns. :tu:

Right; sorry about that.
  • Like 2

Why? Do "we" really need it?

I guess because it gives you the ability to carry massive loads at high speeds, relatively cheaply. I would think much of it would need to be covered as it would be traversing some of the most uninhabitabe terrain on earth and encountering violent weather with tons of blowing snow and dangerous cold. I'd elevate it thouh the Siberian marsh-land and probably the artciic areas as well so snow would blow under rather than over.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Right; sorry about that.

No problem, I re-read my post and realised it could be interpreted differently from what I intended. Edit is on its way...

I guess because it gives you the ability to carry massive loads at high speeds, relatively cheaply. I would think much of it would need to be covered as it would be traversing some of the most uninhabitabe terrain on earth and encountering violent weather with tons of blowing snow and dangerous cold. I'd elevate it thouh the Siberian marsh-land and probably the artciic areas as well so snow would blow under rather than over.

I think they would be either elevated or underground to avoid disrupting local migration patterns and so on.
  • Like 1

Please don't. What a horrible idea. After the pictures I saw this weekend on Twitter of what the Chinese do to dogs and cats, I'd prefer they stay far way from the United States.

Please don't. What a horrible idea. After the pictures I saw this weekend on Twitter of what the Chinese do to dogs and cats, I'd prefer they stay far way from the United States.

Have you not noticed any of the 3 million that are already there or the popularity of Chinese food?

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 5

Since it's going to go through Alaska, I wonder what Sarah Palin has to say about this? LOL!

You do realize there are many Americans of Chinese decent in the USA? They have culturally been a part of the USA for well over a century and apparently are good at building rail roads (don't look at me like that it's just a joke)

If this gets built I fully intend on riding it to Beijing and back. How cool of an idea is this?

• Like 3

:no:

Ain't happening...they can't seem to even keep their own train stations safe..

The only benefit I see is in shipping. Boat shippings take 4 - 8 weeks. The train could do it in much less time. I do feel the potential danger from earthquakes and continental drift over time outweigh the benefits.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

If this gets built I fully intend on riding it to Beijing and back. How cool of an idea is this?

Hopefully there will be a few passenger runs but I can imagine this being primarily for cargo. I have got my fingers crossed for you to get on the first run.