Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China may build an undersea train to America

Still Waters

Just have to say that this whole notion is highly unlikely, given the drastic turn in the relationship between the 'West' and Russia.

Why do I feel like this project has the beginnings of a Godzilla or Pacific Rim sort of movie? 125 miles of underwater tunnel traveling over multiple quake/deep rift zones...

A bit more seriously. I noticed the article said China and Russia seem to be considering this, but there is a lack of mention of the U.S. being aware of this project.

• Like 1

Why do I feel like this project has the beginnings of a Godzilla or Pacific Rim sort of movie? 125 miles of underwater tunnel traveling over multiple quake/deep rift zones...

A bit more seriously. I noticed the article said China and Russia seem to be considering this, but there is a lack of mention of the U.S. being aware of this project.

First, I volunteer to help with kaiju research. Second, and more seriously, there are a few people n this thread from the US, myself included. I'm sure the US government has heard at least a general idea of the plans.

• Like 1

First, I volunteer to help with kaiju research. Second, and more seriously, there are a few people n this thread from the US, myself included. I'm sure the US government has heard at least a general idea of the plans.

Hehehe, kaiju research, you and my sister both.

Anywho.. I bet the U.S. is aware, I just thought it was interesting that the article mentions China and Russia, but the U.S. wasn't mentioned.

• Like 1

but there is a lack of mention of the U.S. being aware of this project.

They will find out when the drill surfaces in Central Park :tu:

• Like 2

Please don't. What a horrible idea. After the pictures I saw this weekend on Twitter of what the Chinese do to dogs and cats, I'd prefer they stay far way from the United States.

The Chinese are not the only country to eat cats and dogs you know

• Like 1

The Chinese are not the only country to eat cats and dogs you know

Probably everyone does who ventures into their local take-away after throwing out time at the pubs on a Saturday night.......

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 2

Hopefully there will be a few passenger runs but I can imagine this being primarily for cargo. I have got my fingers crossed for you to get on the first run.

Like the people on the first voyage of the Titanic eh?
  • Like 3

Like the people on the first voyage of the Titanic eh?

Whoops :blush:

• Like 1

They will find out when the drill surfaces in Central Park :tu:

If it accidentally surfaces anywhere near Newark, NJ, they will high tail it back to Russia!

• Like 2

Please don't. What a horrible idea. After the pictures I saw this weekend on Twitter of what the Chinese do to dogs and cats, I'd prefer they stay far way from the United States.

But the USA loves to eat beef, and Hindus (who make up the majority of India's population) find cows to be sacred and they have the same thing to say to beef-loving USA: don't ever come to India and eat our cows!

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 4

Just have to say that this whole notion is highly unlikely, given the drastic turn in the relationship between the 'West' and Russia.

I think this is a temporary thing. Communism in Russia is dead and what is going on in East Ukraine is mostly die-hard Communists. Other than ego, Putin has nothing going for him and after he passes from the scene Russia will probably revert to more normal politics, or it may split into a dozen countries (what they are doing in Ukraine sets a bad example if you want to keep a country like Russia together in one piece).
  • Like 2

Since it's going to go through Alaska, I wonder what Sarah Palin has to say about this? LOL!

It all depends on if there is a benefit for Alaska.

I forget which thread it was that there was underground drilling going on and they hit a wall that they couldn't go through. Wonder what kind of stuff they would run into drilling all that way? Where's 6.6.6, he had a good thread going there about mining...

I always wished I could build a tunnel from Alaska to Siberia, when I was playing Civilization back in the day. Railroads were unlimited movement, but to get to another continent you had to use ships, or air drop them.

I'd personally rather have a tunnel to Hawaii. So I could drive there instead of flying.

• Like 4

"Needless to say cost-benefit and risk analyses and environmental impact studies would be done" Remember, it's China's project. I hope they're better at building railroads than the were at manufacturing dog food.

• Like 1

Well, that's a flipping long way round. Would it really be more econimical for freight? Surely it could never ever recoup the costs of constructing such a thing, the Channel Tunnel for instance has never made a profit since it was opened. And the costs of maintaining it and ensuring safety would surely make it a complete non-starter.

You do realize there are many Americans of Chinese decent in the USA? They have culturally been a part of the USA for well over a century and apparently are good at building rail roads (don't look at me like that it's just a joke)

If this gets built I fully intend on riding it to Beijing and back. How cool of an idea is this?

Certainly, i think technically, if anyone could do it China could, look how they've built up a high-speed network over 10,000 km literally from scratch in less than 10 years, but we know how China seems to exist on a different set of exonomic rules than the rest of the world.

I think time is not all that far off when the planet will have hundreds of such tunnels going almost everywhere. Air travel is too dangerous and expensive and uses too many resources.

Hope to have speed train in south east asia

Am I the only one who's first thought was Snowpiercer?

The Syberian and Canadian ice and snow won't be a problem, since we'll set in motion the new Ice Age and the whole world will be covered in a thick layer of ice!

I think this is a temporary thing. Communism in Russia is dead and what is going on in East Ukraine is mostly die-hard Communists. Other than ego, Putin has nothing going for him and after he passes from the scene Russia will probably revert to more normal politics, or it may split into a dozen countries (what they are doing in Ukraine sets a bad example if you want to keep a country like Russia together in one piece).

Let's hope so :)

• Like 1