Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Hindenburg Disaster: New Released Footage

Still Waters

A rarely seen video showing a different angle of the Hindenburg airship disaster in New Jersey has been released to the public for the first time in 77 years.

The video, which was found decades ago by the Navy Lakehurst and Ocean County Historical Societies, was obtained exclusively by NBC10.com on Friday.

The new film footage shows the 803-foot-long German airship erupt into flames from the side, rather than the nearly head-on view widely seen in newsreels.

http://www.nbcphilad...FlowTwt_PHBrand

http://www.dailymail...killing-36.html

• Like 3

So hard to believe anyone survived, just horrific to watch.

Rereading about it I didn't realize a worse airship disaster happened 4 years before and killed 73 of 76 on board the USS Akron (navy scout ship) off the coast of New Jersey.

I remember the Shenandoah crash in Ohio because we drove past the wreckage sight regularly for many years. Some of those not killed on the Shenandoah were later killed on the USS Akron! (wiki)

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I'd just like to know why it took so freaking long to release this footage.

• Like 1

I'd just like to know why it took so freaking long to release this footage.

Lost in the archives and rare footage by the looks of it, could be the onnly one left

Yeah, I wondered too, how does one "lose" footage of that magnitude?

"site" not "sight"

Edited by QuiteContrary

"site" not "sight"

Mis-labelled, or correctly labelled and everyone just thought "meh, more of that same footage we've seen hundreds of times".

Mis-labelled, or correctly labelled and everyone just thought "meh, more of that same footage we've seen hundreds of times".

Was it mishandled by the [Hindenburg?] historical society itself that was mentioned?

Edited by QuiteContrary

Wow that's great this film was found could have been lost for ever.old time boxer max scheming took this air ship back to Germany when he beat joe Lewis when max lost to joe Lewis in there rematch hilter threw max in the army lol.

• Like 1

So hard to believe anyone survived, just horrific to watch.

It had to do with how quickly it burned, if it'd been a slower burn less people would have survived.

As it was it burned so quickly paper survived, including letters that were part of it's cargo.

And before modern day it was pretty easy to mislabel or lose stuff like this. Now with a digital record system it's easier to keep track of things.

The Smithsonian is still finding things that got put into the wrong drawer or cabinet or something.

• Like 1

WOw, that was interesting.

Oh... that government warehouse! :P

If the rare archive footage has revealed another second of truth about this disaster then its a blurry truth.

Has anyone been able to find a link to the raw footage?

That NBC journalist talking over it and the cut footage made me cringe.

Yeah, pretty lame that they secure exclusive rights to the film....and then they only air a small fraction of it.

Would be great to see the full film.