Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you flirt at work with Customers?

stevemagegod

So today i was like to my manager dam there are some fine looking chicks in the lobby. And he was like what are you doing here? Go and flirt with them! I'm like really we are aloud to? Because the last job i had was working retail and they frowned upon flitting with the customers. He was like hell ya i do it all the time. Now that it is awesome.

However a lot of pick up lines i would use are not work friendly. How can you get those digits without coming off as a creep? I made a lot of small talk with them with eye contact but how to go about getting them digits without getting in trouble. Since as a guy we have to be carefully on how we go about getting laid these days. You know with Sexual Harassment and **** these days.

Edited by stevemagegod
  • Like 1

Firstly, don't do it.

Secondly, with an attitude like that your manager is probably going to get fired and (if you behave yourself) you might end up with his job.

• Like 4

For what it's worth...no matter how liberal the policies are where you work, it's a REALLY bad idea to start anything with a customer and even WORSE with a co-worker. It will end badly. On the other hand if the job isn't so important and she looks really really good then go for it I guess. Doing the math on those kinds of situations became easy by the time I was about 22. Good luck!

• Like 1

For what it's worth...no matter how liberal the policies are where you work, it's a REALLY bad idea to start anything with a customer and even WORSE with a co-worker. It will end badly. On the other hand if the job isn't so important and she looks really really good then go for it I guess. Doing the math on those kinds of situations became easy by the time I was about 22. Good luck!

Ya i am 22 right now lol. And i was "Cleaning" around the store. However i was talking to everyone not just them since that is the kind of person i am. However the last place i worked at i had this chick hit on me which is a surprise since no one has ever made it that obvious before and i would of tried to get her numbers but there was a customer behind her. So it was a lose lose situation for me, since i felt awkward with that customer waiting behind her. But this job the two girls were sitting down my entire shift studying nursing and stuff so i was able to make small chat with them since they came in 2 days now i figured what the hell whats the worst that can happen? When i left i forgot my coat and came back in the store and they were waiting in line and i was like dam i forgot my coat to her and she smiled and laugh. So would that be a good sign if they come back in when i am working next?

Making customers laugh and feel good is a good way to boost sales, but it is inadvisable to view flirting with customers at work as similar to flirting in, say, a bar or on the street. The person-to-person dynamic is very different when you are an employee flirting with a customer. In that situation, the customer is more relaxed because they are 'boss' - so someone may be more willing to flirt when in another (e.g. meeting in a bar) situation they would not.

All-in-all, it would be foolish to view flirting with customers as anything other than 'good business practice'. Certainly you should not consider it as a means of starting a personal relationship.

" like " being used before statements drives me nuts...

• Like 2

Flirting with customers could be taken the wrong way. You could find yourself at the receiving end of an official complaint.

• Like 2

You sound rather immature. Don't underestimate women or "chicks" in your words. Most women/chicks can see right through smooth operators ;)

Why not just be your friendly self. It is far more becoming and sincere. :yes:

Your boss sounds like a total jerk btw. B)

Edited by Astra00
  • Like 3

Don't try to pick up customers, it's unprofessional. And yeah, that sexual harassment and **** now a days is because of unprofessional people trying to make the pickup to get laid at work, feeling free to flirt up customers, trying to get digits. It's your job, not the meat market.

• Like 4

So today i was like to my manager dam there are some fine looking chicks in the lobby. And he was like what are you doing here? Go and flirt with them! I'm like really we are aloud to? Because the last job i had was working retail and they frowned upon flitting with the customers. He was like hell ya i do it all the time. Now that it is awesome.

However a lot of pick up lines i would use are not work friendly. How can you get those digits without coming off as a creep? I made a lot of small talk with them with eye contact but how to go about getting them digits without getting in trouble. Since as a guy we have to be carefully on how we go about getting laid these days. You know with Sexual Harassment and **** these days.

Steve..you are plenty old enough to know that when you are at work you need to keep your mannerism at a professional lever regardless of your job.

Saying "Hello" or making small talk is one thing but flirting is a BIG no-no. The fact that your manager even encourages this should make you question his integrity and make you question how he treat female employees.

Just the fact that you even mentioned the "hot" chicks in the lobby indicates that you are WAY too cozy with the manager and that you have an utter disrespect for the customers.

Also I question your attitude and over all maturity if the only pick-up lines you have are not "work friendly"..to me this translates into meaning that your mode of conversation is crass and vulgar. Not a way to attract the attentions of anyone let alone a female.

Even if a woman flirts with you first, it is still your responsibility, while at work, to ignore it and do what you need to do...work is for work, it is not a dating service.

I don't mean to lecture or preach but the fact that you even thought that flirting on the job was ok made me wonder if you are fully aware of how your behavior can affect your future ability to get a job. Your manager may be all smiles and laughs but if it comes to a reference he may turn around and stab you in the back.

P.S: Oh, and by the way, term for females is women/ladies/girls...not "chicks".

• Like 5

I don't flirt with customers and never did. They don't appreciate it at all unless you are yourself attractive. While there are a few who think I'm attractive, I'm kinda as Katisha said, an "acquired taste."

I also wanted to add that as an employee, regardless of your job position -be it a manager to janitor- how you treat the customers will directly determine if they come back or not and thus affects the business itself. It's not all about you and trying to score points with the women.

I don't flirt with customers and never did. They don't appreciate it at all unless you are yourself attractive....

Well, I don't think that even matters, when on the job, even if an employee was attractive, flirting is still not a good thing. :)

Edited by Ryu

Well, I don't think that even matters, when on the job, even if an employee was attractive, flirting is still not a good thing. :)

Some of the best salespeople flirt outrageously with customers. That is just good business. Of course flirting with colleagues is generally unwise and superiors flirting with inferiors should be grounds for dismissal of the superior.
  • Like 1

A lot of good advice here for you steve,i will add working at a gym i see beautiful woman all the time sometimes it is hard not to flirt especially when they are the ones who initiate first.Stay professional and avoid pick up lines,be attentive and coy at the same time.You might just find yourself with those "digits" you are looking for without coming off as a perv :tu:

Some of the best salespeople flirt outrageously with customers. That is just good business.

Really? How so? Because if someone did that with me I would immediately distrust them. I would be put off by it.

Of course flirting with colleagues is generally unwise and superiors flirting with inferiors should be grounds for dismissal of the superior.

Either it is ok or it is not. You cannot make special exceptions and say it is ok for one person but wrong for another.

• Like 1

A good salesperson knows who likes being flirted with and who doesn't and acts accordingly. Circumstances do matter in all behavioral questions. The important thing is not to hurt others and make them feel good. Of course bosses taking advantage of their status that way can be interpreted as a form of rape and therefore has to be prohibited.

• Like 1

WoW nice manager u have m8 :)

Depends on what kind of work is that u do there and what kind of 'help' could u offer to all of those female customers that need help. I am almost always more then ready to give some instructions about how to use them mobile phones on your own home PC or even setup some new home wireless network, those are basics. But most important, there is always short line between having nice experience and total disaster and u must be able to 'see' if the person is actually up for hanging out with you.

One time i seen a girl that really was looking me in funny way so i assumed that there is something and after i unlocked her cell phone ( for it to be able to accept all sim cards ) i also sent her SMS message with text ' TEST ' in it which will show up in phone screen in about 10 minutes. She ofc called me imidiately and was like angry ( acting ) but i told her, 'hey i wrote test SMS to check if its ok, i dont wonna have u loose time bringing your mobile again because of bad service work, but while u are here, what u think if we go out and have a nice drink tonite? '

After few sec of wait she told me ok but situation could get bad too, they could come to my boss and say ' dam what pervert u got in there ' :D

A good salesperson knows who likes being flirted with and who doesn't and acts accordingly. Circumstances do matter in all behavioral questions. The important thing is not to hurt others and make them feel good. Of course bosses taking advantage of their status that way can be interpreted as a form of rape and therefore has to be prohibited.

Oh well....Unless I am in a bar (which I NEVER go to) I guess I just don't see most places of business as a place I would want to be flirting or being flirted with. But that's just me. :)

• Like 1

Oh well....Unless I am in a bar (which I NEVER go to) I guess I just don't see most places of business as a place I would want to be flirting or being flirted with. But that's just me. :)

You stick to what you think is right and whack the guy who goes too far (verbally). Just be sure to not misinterpret a friendly smile.

Some of the best salespeople flirt outrageously with customers. That is just good business. Of course flirting with colleagues is generally unwise and superiors flirting with inferiors should be grounds for dismissal of the superior.

I dunno Frank... There's a difference between schmoozing up the customer to make a sale and flirting for the sake of romantic/sexual interest. A difference between "I'm flattering you so you buy my product" and "I'm hitting on you to get something going on outside of work."

• Like 2

I dunno Frank... There's a difference between schmoozing up the customer to make a sale and flirting for the sake of romantic/sexual interest. A difference between "I'm flattering you so you buy my product" and "I'm hitting on you to get something going on outside of work."

Obviously and unless I missed something that is what I was talking about, although a lot of couples get started that way. If though the guy is trying to score rather than do his job, management needs to be concerned since this is actually going to interfere with sales.
  • Like 1

NOW!!! that is a mystery that is unexplainable!!! lol

Precisely. Going clothes shopping is a perfect example. My sister is currently doing a casual job at a clothes store and she just says part of the job is telling people they look great in their clothes.

Oh and Steve I am 22 myself. Do not try to pickup while you're on your job. After seeing your last job thread I would at least try play it safe this time round.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 2

Guys like you are the reason Sexual Harassment laws exist.

Running a riding school means that most of our 'customers' are pre-pubescent girls. So I imagine that following any attempt by me at flirting would result in a photo finish at my front door between representatives of HM Police Service, journalists and a very irate Mrs.Ealdwita weilding a set of blunt castrating shears!

• Like 1