Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia set to ban US from using space station

UM-Bot

The US will no longer have access to the station after 2020 as Russia responds to Ukraine sanctions.

The $150 billion space station has been synonymous with international co-operation since its construction began back in 1998, but now due to Russia's response to sanctions imposed by the United States over the Ukraine crisis it looks as though the project could come to a rather bitter end.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...g-space-station

• Like 1

Ahh maturity. Exactly what we can't expect from our elected leaders the world over.

• Like 1

It's a shame we can't cooperate on a project that helps humanity.

Edited by Mac E
  • Like 2

Its a long time till 2020 and i believe that this project wont be destroyed by politics.

• Like 1

Tit for tat is standard behavior in diplomacy, about the level of three-year-olds.

• Like 2

I thought they intended to abandon the space station about then anyway. If not a 2020 it wasn't long after that.

In January this year the US announced plans to extend the life of the ISS until at least 2024: Space Station life 'to be extended'

• Like 2

Its a long time till 2020 and i believe that this project wont be destroyed by politics.

The Russian's have plans for a Moon base. It is quite possible that they feel the need to divert funds to that project. As far as I know they had not agreed to the extension of the ISS until 2024. No doubt this announcement was timed to have maximum effect but it may be that they would not have agreed anyway. It is also possible that, if funding is in issue, one the Ukraine crisis is over that Russia can be persuaded to keep the ISS in service for the "right price".

The European's could be key players here. Whilst siding with the USA on the Ukraine issue, ESA continues to co-operate with Russia in space.

• Like 3

Tit for tat is standard behavior in diplomacy, about the level of three-year-olds.

We-e-ell, it's also been studied in Game Theory - it's a strategy which can be used in one of those two-player two-choice games, the name of which I can't remember: two players represent countries which are at loggerheads, and each can choose either to build lots of weapons or build the economy; if both players build weapons they both gain little, if only one builds weapons he gain a lot; and if both build the economy they both gain something. The tit-for-tat thing comes in when you play the game over and over and can choose to punish the other player for what he did in previous games.

• Like 1

It's childish and that's an end to it. If the Russians were planning to do it anyway they should say so. It's kinda like expelling diplomats -- you expel one and we expel one.

• Like 2

It's childish and that's an end to it. If the Russians were planning to do it anyway they should say so. It's kinda like expelling diplomats -- you expel one and we expel one.

I'm taking my toys back and kicking you out of my sandbox.. Well as it's been stated above, we have some real mature people in government. Maybe they just need a timeout in the corner.
  • Like 2

I guess politics trump science (unfortunately).

It's simply bluster on the part of Putin.

If he was serious, the start date wouldn't be six years from now.

If he was serious, the start date wouldn't be six years from now.

Yes it would actually.

The Russian manned space programme is currently as reliant on the ISS as the USA, ESA, Japan and Canada are. Withdrawing from the ISS now would effectively ground the Russian manned programme for the foreseeable future.

Also the Russian's would be breaking treaties with not just the USA but with the other nations involved, including ESA (with whom, as I have already pointed out, they continue to co-operate). These treaties expire in 2020.

In refusing to back the Obama Administration's pledge to extend the station's life until at least 2024 Russia is hitting at the US government without harming either their own space programme or breaking any agreements they have already entered into.

• Like 4

Yes it would actually.

The Russian manned space programme is currently as reliant on the ISS as the USA, ESA, Japan and Canada are. Withdrawing from the ISS now would effectively ground the Russian manned programme for the foreseeable future.

Also the Russian's would be breaking treaties with not just the USA but with the other nations involved, including ESA (with whom, as I have already pointed out, they continue to co-operate). These treaties expire in 2020.

In refusing to back the Obama Administration's pledge to extend the station's life until at least 2024 Russia is hitting at the US government without harming either their own space programme or breaking any agreements they have already entered into.

Good points.

That said, such a threat from Putin really doesn't have any teeth given how much can change between now and 2020.

I hope at some point in the future private companies will find a profitable reason to expand in to space with out Politics gumming up the program . ( I know the two are joined at the hip ). Still a nice flight of fantasy . :tu:

• Like 1

That said, such a threat from Putin really doesn't have any teeth given how much can change between now and 2020.

This is true, however if Russia does not agree to an extension it will cause the USA an immediate problem. The ISS needs the Russian section for propulsion. Re-boost of the station to prevent re-entry is done by Russians. Designing, building and launching a solution within 6 years would be difficult and costly. The USA simply can not sit and wait to see what happens. They need to act quickly.

Well, they ( the USA ) had to expect something.I predict all this months ago. What has surprised me is that they haven't done it instantly.

Maybe some other country like China will buy it off them. I know they want to get a foot in the space station. When it comes to space, I don't care who is running the show as long as someone does it. You can't see borders from space. Stupid short sighted idiot politicians need to get their nose out of space and leave to people who want to develop it and start a new destiny for all mankind.

Perhaps humanity will find a new enemy among the stars. One that will force the human race to unite and do away with such childish foolishness. Then again there are better chances of frogs growing wings, hell freezing over, and the flying spaghetti monster consuming the earth.

We are ruled by a bunch of people with a elementary school mentality.

Maybe some other country like China will buy it off them. I know they want to get a foot in the space station.

That's not going to happen. US law currently prohibits NASA from co-operation with the Chinese.

Besides why would the Chinese need to pay to use the Russian segment of the ISS when they are developing their own space station, due for launch around 2020?

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

So Does anyone really know Just What NASA is going to Do about this ?

Links please. :tu:

Maybe ITs time to Get Back to Building Rockets ! ANd support systems of our ISS !

So Does anyone really know Just What NASA is going to Do about this ?

Links please. :tu:

Give them a chance. The Russians only announced this yesterday and they haven't formally informed NASA yet.

You don't make decisions on the long term future of a multi-billion dollar project in a few hours.

NASA is completely powerless to do anything about this situation. If Russia pulls the rug then that is that. Of course ESA has the means of getting satellites into space and I am sure there is space in the programme to add a few USA satellites. I would be interested to know if this "exclusion" order applies to other members of the consortium

I would be interested to know if this "exclusion" order applies to other members of the consortium

There is ni exclusion order. Russia is simply saying they will stop using the ISS in 2020. Since the Russian segment provides propulsion then the ISS can not continue without them UNLESS NASA builds a new module.