Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

#BringBackOurCountry

RavenHawk

On Sunday, Ann Coulter parodied Michelle Obama’s #BringBackOurGirls and it brought on much ridicule from the Left as it backfired. But few realized that she made her point that tweetting is not foreign policy. Hash tags and selfies do nothing to free captives from Islamic fanatics. Such an outburst from the First Lady only presents a position of weakness and damages our image and prestige (if we have any left). This leads to a darker, deeper under meaning telling the aggressor that we are a victim and sets a dangerous precedence.

I disagree. Michelle Obama doesn't set foreign policy, so her 'tweeting' about this incident only raises awareness. Something that she has every right to do.

Ann Coulter makes a good point, but she is off base here.

Had the President tweeted, then she'd have a better point.

• Like 4

I disagree. Michelle Obama doesn't set foreign policy, so her 'tweeting' about this incident only raises awareness. Something that she has every right to do.

That is correct, she does not set foreign policy and should not set herself into the position of doing so. That usurps her husband’s authority.

Ann Coulter makes a good point, but she is off base here.

I don’t know if she is off base. It’s just because she is Ann Coulter.

Had the President tweeted, then she'd have a better point.

Because he hasn’t stated that what Michelle has done is counter to the position of the Administration has more or less approved of the tweet as if he had done it himself.

Well...

My opinion of this will not be very popular...I hope for the safe return of these kids to their families...but the tweeting thing...I think it's stupid

This "tweeting #Bringbackourgirls" is so a bunch of couch potatoes and self indulgent spoiled brats can feel good about themselves. It will do zero to rescue them.

"It raises awareness"...so what? It's not like everyone doesn't know about it...the real question is...what is being done to remedy the situation and what steps are being taken to assure that it doesn't happen again?

Tweeting and re-tweeting is not going to get them released...do you think this insane kidnapper cares what the rich kids have to say on their I-phones? "Oh...gee...Michele Obama says I am a bad man...better let them kids go now"...yeah...right.

I don't see it as setting policy or anything so grand...to me it looks like that crap they did with the warlord Kony a year or two ago...yeah...that sure got him caught.../sarcasm. It is so lazy, self indulgent, dumbed down and distracted people can feel good about themselves as the fire off a tweet and then tell everyone what they bought at the mall or had for lunch...

Excellent points. It's all self-indulgent bull****. I'm sure if you asked everyone who sent a similar tweet they'd say that they "made a difference".

I'm reminded of this little ditty from a couple of weeks ago:

post-106978-0-70624900-1400091576_thumb.

Seriously? This is what the State Department of the United States of America considers diplomacy these days. If only Neville Chamberlain had had a Twitter account Hitler would have been cowering in his boots.

• Like 3

Twitter has destroyed so much by its very existence so untangle your panties and move on.

• Like 2

No but it puts pressure on the Nigerians to do something, with so many people know what has happened, The Nigerians can't hide away what they do

• Like 1

No but it puts pressure on the Nigerians to do something, with so many people know what has happened, The Nigerians can't hide away what they do

Do you honestly think this guy gives a jumping jack **** pile of horse **** about Twitter? #yourefoolingyourself

post-106978-0-35943500-1400093529_thumb.

• Like 3

That is correct, she does not set foreign policy and should not set herself into the position of doing so. That usurps her husband's authority.

I don't know if she is off base. It's just because she is Ann Coulter.

Because he hasn't stated that what Michelle has done is counter to the position of the Administration has more or less approved of the tweet as if he had done it himself.

There is no usurping of anyones power. She made a tweet saying to bring back a bunch of girls that were kidnapped by a extreme regime. Where exactly does that 'cross the line'.

Why do you feel the First Lady shouldn't have the right to freedom of speech?

• Like 4

I agree, tweeting seems a waste of time...

However, this is really less about the tweeting, and MUCH MUCH more about doing whatever one can to put the Obama's in a negative light.

Ann Coulter makes a career out of it, as is her free right.

But, to condemn or applaud something SOLELY because they are liberal or conservative is sickening. This country deserves what it gets if we keep on those rails.

• Like 6

Now if taking the girls were done in the U.S.A. ...... Oh heck some one would make a movie about it ! :whistle:

I don't see it as setting policy or anything so grand...

I agree with what you say. However, the points you make are how policy is being set. It points out how we are incapable of doing anything that we have to rely on the wife of the President to initiate something. Trying something and failing in the world’s eye is one thing but to do something that won’t accomplish a thing (more for the show) is total failure and complete weakness in the world’s eye. It sends a bad message. It is the actions of a community instigator, …er organizer – getting others to do his job. It is the actions of someone that knows he has no power over the situation and he reverts to the old Rules for Radicals.

There is no usurping of anyones power. She made a tweet saying to bring back a bunch of girls that were kidnapped by a extreme regime. Where exactly does that 'cross the line'.

You must not be married?? A wife always usurps the husband’s authority. :whistle: That’s the nature of the beast. But that isn’t exactly what crosses the line. If Barack had issued an EO (or whatever) to try social media to attack the Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram and then having Michelle come up with doing the tweet, that would be fine. Does anyone understand basic leadership principles anymore? I don’t mean community organizing. Or even if Solange Knowles (i.e. Joe Q Public) had initiated a tweet, that would be different because there are no ties to the Administration. Personally, I think if you send Solange after Abubakar Shekau, those girls would be back real quick.

Why do you feel the First Lady shouldn't have the right to freedom of speech?

Who said I didn’t? But being the First Lady carries an obligation or responsibility to follow the President’s lead.

Edited by RavenHawk
  • Like 1

You must not be married?? A wife always usurps the husband’s authority. :whistle: That’s the nature of the beast.

LOL.

Yeah, I've been married for far too long to not know that!! Maybe I'm just trying to live in denial... :cry::tu:

Wow, Michelle could've just held up a sign with the hashtag; #rapeandkillthosegirls.

She tries to do something good and fairly reasonable, yet is called out for it. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. Simple as that. What does Ann Coulter think she should do?

Better yet, what has Ann Coulter done to help anything relating to foreign affairs or to bring awareness to certain situations?

And like every good Twitter campaign, this one has been turned against the First Lady.

http://www.buzzfeed....-int?bffbworld=

post-106978-0-80198400-1400102521_thumb.

Well played.

Wow!...that was harsh! That pic says way more than a thousand words ever could. That is some ugly backlash...

Look, I know that people are upset and concerned and I get that...my wife gets beside herself over the kidnapping. But her rage is that "how many times has sh!t like this happened and the USA has done nothing? We can go into Irag and Afghanistan and Libya but this stuff has been going on in Africa for years and we do nothing"...kudos to the wife...

• Like 1

Wow, Michelle could've just held up a sign with the hashtag; #rapeandkillthosegirls.

She tries to do something good and fairly reasonable, yet is called out for it. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't. Simple as that. What does Ann Coulter think she should do?

Better yet, what has Ann Coulter done to help anything relating to foreign affairs or to bring awareness to certain situations?

Perhaps a more appropriate sign for FLOTUS should have read #hypocrisy

Maybe, just maybe, it takes more than gardening, appearances on Jimmy Kimmel, and pithy tweets to convince the folks whose children you're killing with your drone strikes that you really give a damn about a bunch of school girls in Africa.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

Ann Coulter? Come on, we all know her reputation, her political stance, I would probably fall over dead of amazement if she ever said one kind or complimentary thing about a liberal or Democrat. She's pretty much at the head of the pack of Republican attack dogs as far as I'm concerned.

this is going to sound sulky, but i am not sure what anyone expects.

IF obama does anything, here we are, USA thinking it can run roughshod over all these little backward countries and telling them what to do, if he does nothing, oMG USA sooo mighty and does NOTHING.

Damned if you do, damned if you do not.

• Like 3

I'm sad that something like a tweet has become such political fodder to be analyzed, re-analyzed, dissected. Just goes to show how much reaction a person can get from one of the most limited forms of communication ever. More importantly, hope someone does something to rescue those girls. I can't begin to imagine the hell their lives must be right now, in the hands of someone like Kony. This should be the story folks, this tragedy, instead we're using it as a means to further our own political ideology.

• Like 1

I'm sad that something like a tweet has become such political fodder to be analyzed, re-analyzed, dissected. Just goes to show how much reaction a person can get from one of the most limited forms of communication ever. More importantly, hope someone does something to rescue those girls. I can't begin to imagine the hell their lives must be right now, in the hands of someone like Kony. This should be the story folks, this tragedy, instead we're using it as a means to further our own political ideology.

"Limited forms of communication ever"

Really? Helloooo....

500 million registered users, 340 million tweets a day, top 10 of all web/net sites; Doesn't sound limited to me.

this is going to sound sulky, but i am not sure what anyone expects.

IF obama does anything, here we are, USA thinking it can run roughshod over all these little backward countries and telling them what to do, if he does nothing, oMG USA sooo mighty and does NOTHING.

Damned if you do, damned if you do not.

When there has been a violation of human rights like this, every country should do whatever it can, and since the US has global military reach, people naturally look to it first. I think wheels are in motion; getting the girls to freedom safely is more important than political grandstanding, so they are being cautious and taking their time and working with the Nigerians.
  • Like 2

Perhaps a more appropriate sign for FLOTUS should have read #hypocrisy

Maybe, just maybe, it takes more than gardening, appearances on Jimmy Kimmel, and pithy tweets to convince the folks whose children you're killing with your drone strikes that you really give a damn about a bunch of school girls in Africa.

That's true, but she isn't killing anyone with drone strikes. She has no part in that at all, in fact you and I are just as guilty as she is by default, because we are English speaking western world types.

• Like 1

"Limited forms of communication ever"

Really? Helloooo....

500 million registered users, 340 million tweets a day, top 10 of all web/net sites; Doesn't sound limited to me.

142 characters? I don't think most people are eloquent enough to say anything substantive within that limitation. Tweeting wasn't designed to be another news outlet, was it? Am I wrong in thinking it's just another social media outlet? Quantity is not the same as quality. Besides, you're missing the point I wanted to make so I'll repeat it. What happened to those girls is a tragedy, and to turn it into some kind of political dogfight that works to one's advantage is shameful. I saw very little concern for the girls themselves, instead it's been used as a means to further one's own personal or political agenda.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 2