Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cat Saves Boy from Dog Attack

PlanB

A family cat chased off a stray dog that was attacking their young son as he played outside. The news article has a video that the boy's father posted. Be warned though that there are fairly graphic images of the boy's injury at the end of the video.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/caught-on-camera-cat-saves-boy-from-dog-attack/25973010

I'm showing this video to my cats in hopes of inspiring them to be this badass.

• Like 9

It was clearly the Jason Statham of cats.

• Like 2

Wow...that cat charged out like a shot.

That stupid dog stalked and attacked the kid in his own yard..what I wonder is why mom didn't immediately scoop him up and take him inside instead of running off and having him follow her inside.

Cool how the cat ran off after the dog only so far then skidded to a halt and returned to its family to make sure the kid was ok. Awesome.

• Like 3

Give that cat the royal treatment!

That little mutt has bite though. That's going to leave a mark, hopefully only a physcial one.

• Like 2

That mutt needs to be caught and tested for rabies.

I mean, what a vicious beast that it deliberately went after the child.

The injuries were scary enough on his leg, didn't know of the ones on his tum-tum. Poor kid...

That cat really let the dog have it...good kitty.

• Like 2

Give that cat the royal treatment!

That little mutt has bite though. That's going to leave a mark, hopefully only a physcial one.

Hopefully, But I remember when I was a kid the people across the road used to have a terrier which used to try and attack me every time I left the house, I've never trusted a dog since but I find the smaller dogs worse.

What a vicious attack on that little boy, that was hard to watch.

I don't know what! the mother was doing running off?

I've never seen a cat react like that. What a hero!

• Like 5

My wife had a pitbull come in the yard and start toward her and her cat jumped on the dog's nuts. She said the dog must have yip for a mile. Never underestimate a cat. I bet they are glad the didn't de-claw their cat.

• Like 9

What a shock, I misread it, thought it said Cat Stevens. He loved his dog

• Like 1

ABC just aired this on national news. That cat is bad to the bone and went after the dog with a fury I've never seen in felines before. They need to take the cat to a fish market and let it have whatever it wants.

Edited by JVG
  • Like 6

As a kid my cat protected me from the neighbours dog. The dog made the mistake of walking up our driveway without my neighbour. The dog was the softest dog ever, wouldn't harm anyone, but that didn't stop my cat chasing it off.

• Like 1

The mother was probably making sure the dog was going to stay away. Otherwise we might have needed the cats heroics again while she gets bitten in a stre of vulnerability cradling the child.

Anyway. Great cat. When my other cat was alive. If he was getting chased my current cat would wait around the corner and pounce on the pursuer. A tag team with good chemistry. Cats are definitely under appreciated when it comes to these sort of things.

• Like 3

Wow...that cat charged out like a shot.

That stupid dog stalked and attacked the kid in his own yard..what I wonder is why mom didn't immediately scoop him up and take him inside instead of running off and having him follow her inside.

Cool how the cat ran off after the dog only so far then skidded to a halt and returned to its family to make sure the kid was ok. Awesome.

If you look closely, it appears that was an older sister, not the mom - unless she is really short...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

That mutt needs to be caught and tested for rabies.

I mean, what a vicious beast that it deliberately went after the child.

The injuries were scary enough on his leg, didn't know of the ones on his tum-tum. Poor kid...

That cat really let the dog have it...good kitty.

I thought the second photo of wounds was the tummy as well, but then I realised it was the childs leg at a differnt angle - after the stitches were put in...

I've never seen a cat act like that, though I have seen them display concern for their person... Awesome cat - it deserves some tuna!...

• Like 2

Yeah, you're right. I took another look at the images and realized that I mistook a small hole for a belly button.

Still, it was unsettling to see this dog deliberately sneak up on this child and it didn't just jump on him and play, it grabbed the boy's leg and shook it viciously.

A dangerous dog it is and I wonder about its owners too that they did not train it to go into "protect" mode ONLY if it is in its own yard and not go out hunting for trouble.

When I seen that cat go at the dog it reminded me of my own cat years ago chasing our neighbors dog across our lawn.

It was funny to see because this dog was galloping with its tail between its legs so it was plenty intimidated.

Cats can be total balls of fury when they want to be.

• Like 4

When I was very young we had a cat that used to sit on the fence while I played outside stalking snakes. We had a real snake problem in the area but none every made it into the yard. She was a badass snake hunter but not always quick enough to avoid being bitten. I don't know how many times we had to rush off to the vet from a poisonous bite, eventually she faced a snake whose venom was too strong for her little body and we lost her. Still, she was a very protective and determined little kitty while she lived and there was no convincing her that attacking a snake was not a good idea, she just hated them.

• Like 3

I like the body check that cat gave that dog! "Get off my lawn!"

I do think the cat was just attacking the dog, not really thinking much about the boy. It would be nice if that were true though.

I do think the cat was just attacking the dog, not really thinking much about the boy. It would be nice if that were true though.

I'm leaning towards the cat genuinely defending the boy because after it chases the dog off, he seems to come back to set up a defense perimeter. Or maybe he was looking for a kitty treat. All in all, the result was the same and that was saving the kid from further injury or even worse.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards the cat genuinely defending the boy because after it chases the dog off, he seems to come back to set up a defense perimeter. Or maybe he was looking for a kitty treat. All in all, the result was the same and that was saving the kid from further injury or even worse.

Cats are possessive and territorial.

So the cat probably thought: “I scratch and bite my people, not you, dog.”

Or it’s a female cat who understood that kid is a human kitten and needs protection.

I had very intelligent and loyal tom-cat who chased our other cat up the tree because she scratched me. It was hilarious, he was visibly and seriously mad at her for slapping me :D

• Like 3

How do you know what the cat is "thinking"? Cats are intelligent, protective and love their owners families. Cats are known to feel parental instincts and even yes towards baby humans. It is true the cat was defending the little boy.

• Like 2

Cats are possessive and territorial.

So the cat probably thought: “I scratch and bite my people, not you, dog.”

Or it’s a female cat who understood that kid is a human kitten and needs protection.

I had very intelligent and loyal tom-cat who chased our other cat up the tree because she scratched me. It was hilarious, he was visibly and seriously mad at her for slapping me :D

I watched a news clip of the event and they interviewed the family, the father said that the cat (a female BTW) just followed them home from a park one day and never left, then later when the child was

born the cat crawled into the crib and slept curled up against the baby... So I'm thinking the cat thought she was defending one of her kittens ... takes nothing away from what the cat did.. . just helps explain it a bit..

Also, while I do like dogs a lot, I can't remember the last time I heard of a domestic cat going out of it's way to attack a person, yes they will attack someone who screws with them or annoys them, but I've

never heard of one acting like this dog did... sadly I can't say that about dogs...

• Like 3

I watched a news clip of the event and they interviewed the family, the father said that the cat (a female BTW) just followed them home from a park one day and never left, then later when the child was

born the cat crawled into the crib and slept curled up against the baby... So I'm thinking the cat thought she was defending one of her kittens ... takes nothing away from what the cat did.. . just helps explain it a bit..

Aww, it makes this story even more heart-warming. The child was adopted by the cat and now has two mums to love him and protect him.

(I’m a little insane, so a part of me believes there’s probably an ancestor or an angel in that cat. The other part says: Shut up, crazy woman :D )

Also, while I do like dogs a lot, I can't remember the last time I heard of a domestic cat going out of it's way to attack a person, yes they will attack someone who screws with them or annoys them, but I've

never heard of one acting like this dog did... sadly I can't say that about dogs...

I usually blame people for things dogs did. But each dog has its unique mind, much like humans, some are *******s and each has set of reasons ranging from genetics over upbringing to experiences that made it an *******.

That dog in the video was deliberately going to get the child, so either it was encouraged before to attack smaller animals and saw one in a child, either it’s one of those rare natural ******* dogs.

I love both dogs and cats so much and it always surprises me to hear someone says they love one and not the other. Except if someone had traumatic experience, it’s just impossible to really care for one and not for the other too.

• Like 4