Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cops shooting good dogs

F3SS

I'm getting a little tired of seeing a story every two days about cops shooting dogs. I understand certain circumstances call for certain actions but so many of these stories I read lately are about cops shooting dogs flippantly without discretion. Often they state that they can't use discretion as their imminent safety is of utmost importance. Instead of posting a bunch of stories, except the one I just read that set me off http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/14/after-cops-fatally-shoot-puppy-in-his-own-back-yard-owner-gets-furthest-thing-from-sorry-you-can-imagine/ , I'll supply a simple google search. There are plenty. https://www.google.com/search?q=cop+shoots+dog&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

I think it's time law enforcement aquires some type of easy to access fast acting K-9 repellent. I dont know what it could be and I do know that a seperate tranquilizer gun is not practical. Maybe something already exists but there's got to be something to prevent this tactic. I also realize that there are some loony cruel LEO's that will kill a dog for enjoyment. I'm not asking to rid the world of evil but I don't think what I want is out of the realm of today's technology.

Edit: if the google link fails just search 'cop shoots dog' or 'cops shoot dog'.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 7

If a charging puppy makes you fear for your life, then perhaps you should seek a line of work other than police officer.

• Like 8

Give overly macho men a firearm and the impunity to use it, this is what happens.

If an average citizen did anything of the sort, the uproar would be deafening.

• Like 2

If a cop shoots my dog he best shoot me next. First thing I do when I call the cops or an ambulance (if I am able) is tie the dog or put her in a room. Safer all around.

Oh a pitbull mix in Detroit. I'm not surprised.

Problem is, you get a lot of people going for pitbulls to act "tough". These people only have the dog for the image, they don't know how to look after it properly. I witnessed a pitbull owned by youths going for a "tough" look where their dog went to bite an elderly man as he was walking it ran up to him.

You want cops to stop shooting your pits? You're looking at the wrong problem folks.

• Like 2

Problem is, you get a lot of people going for pitbulls to act "tough". These people only have the dog for the image, they don't know how to look after it properly. I witnessed a pitbull owned by youths going for a "tough" look where their dog went to bite an elderly man as he was walking it ran up to him.

You want cops to stop shooting your pits? You're looking at the wrong problem folks.

This isn't about cops shooting bad dogs. This is about finding a solution that allows a cop to act swiftly with or without discretion in a humane way. There's got to be something besides blow Fido's head off for nothing more than reacting excitedly as dogs do when there's commotion or a person entering their territory.

• Like 1

This isn't about cops shooting bad dogs. This is about finding a solution that allows a cop to act swiftly with or without discretion in a humane way. There's got to be something besides blow Fido's head off for nothing more than reacting excitedly as dogs do when there's commotion or a person entering their territory.

Indeed, I can see what Orc is saying, and that false bravado might instigate fear in an officer knowing people train these dogs to maim. But as you say, that does not appear to be anything like the case in the above, and if you have seen this happening it does seem a serious problem. I am not sure that a doggy taser or the like is warranted, perhaps more training for officers in this area. I am not sure how much, if any, that is received with regards to handling animals. My sister was in the RAF and she was terrified of Dogs, I could see her reacting the same way in the same situation. It should be part of the psyche test, and formal training given. A qualification perhaps.

The average person can be much worse. We have something of a problem in a suburb called Coomera where Dogs were being stolen for fighting while owners were at work. Small ones for baiting practices and food, and the big ones for betting on. One has to be a pretty vile and low human being to find such a display interesting, and one has to be downright sick to organise and prep these events. The group doing this want to hope Police catch them and not the community. And they will be caught sooner or later. My wife follows the Police Beat facebook page, and told me about it. I was sick to my stomach to hear about it.

• Like 2

Most officers carry mace, works very well on dogs. Not sure why they do not use it instead.

• Like 1

There is no good psychological test to be done before people are accepted into police force and i guess that is why there are many idiots working in police force, usually cowards who get chance to use their guns legally. Short time ago we have seen story about policeman shooting family dog for no reason.

• Like 2

They shoot dogs other than pit bull type. A few years back while attempting to serve a search warrant at the house of the mayor of a small town in Maryland, they shot 2 Labrador types.

Indeed, I can see what Orc is saying, and that false bravado might instigate fear in an officer knowing people train these dogs to maim. But as you say, that does not appear to be anything like the case in the above, and if you have seen this happening it does seem a serious problem. I am not sure that a doggy taser or the like is warranted, perhaps more training for officers in this area. I am not sure how much, if any, that is received with regards to handling animals. My sister was in the RAF and she was terrified of Dogs, I could see her reacting the same way in the same situation. It should be part of the psyche test, and formal training given. A qualification perhaps.

The average person can be much worse. We have something of a problem in a suburb called Coomera where Dogs were being stolen for fighting while owners were at work. Small ones for baiting practices and food, and the big ones for betting on. One has to be a pretty vile and low human being to find such a display interesting, and one has to be downright sick to organise and prep these events. The group doing this want to hope Police catch them and not the community. And they will be caught sooner or later. My wife follows the Police Beat facebook page, and told me about it. I was sick to my stomach to hear about it.

We have the same problem happening here in Melbourne - the Altona/Werribee area to be exact, funny enough some work colleagues who live in that area were talking about it. One of them is going away for a few weeks and was just going to have a family member come over and feed and spend some time with the dog each day while she was away. Because of this problem, she has decided she will not feel safe unless it is in a proper pet care centre.

It all depends on the situation

Yes it does. The perceived "immediacy" of the threat. Whether the gun was the quickest to reach and handle and the police officer's state of mind in the environment. A level of anxiety is always going to be present when they enter suspected perps terrritories or unknown homes, after awhile on the beat they have seen too much of violence and abherrant human behaviour, as well as pet behaviour to have the same world view of those of us that are not typically exposed this way in our own daily lives.

It is a tough one, I couldn't stand it if it happened to my Matilda or anyone I knew, I think it would send me into a rage but from a distance I can see alot of "mitigating" circumstances can lead to this decision being taken by particular police in specific callouts.

I think it's time law enforcement aquires some type of easy to access fast acting K-9 repellent.

they wont use it, why should they? they kill any dog they want and they will almost always get away with it. no one investigates such shootings, almost half of all firearm discharges by cops in usa are shooting of an animal, almost always a dog. i posted data on this before

Edited by aztek

they wont use it, why should they? they kill any dog they want and they will almost always get away with it. no one investigates such shootings, almost half of all firearm discharges by cops in usa are shooting of an animal, almost always a dog. i posted data on this before

I agree. The underlying issue aside from dead dogs is that there are zero repercussions. Someone shoots a police dog and the whole city is made aware. I don't have a problem with that but it's a crappy double standard.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another where the cops probably could've figured something else out. A Milk Bone perhaps?

What Started Out as Police Responding to Burglar Alarm Ends in Tragedy for Homeowner’s 'Best Friend'

A dog was shot and killed inside his owner's home - all because of a door that wouldn't stay shut.

Police in Round Rock, Texas, responded to a home alarm being set off on Friday, announced themselves and entering the home.

Inside, they found no burglar - the homeowner later said the alarm was probably set off by the faulty front door coming open accidentally - but they did encounter a Rottweiler named Bullet, KTBC-TV reported.

The rest... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/02/what-started-out-as-police-responding-to-burglar-alarm-ends-in-tragedy-for-homeowners-best-friend/

Edited by F3SS

Does anyone have the statistics for number of cops that are ex-military? I kind of remember reading something last year that explained a lot of police aggression as ex-soldiers that gravitated towards law enforcement after their service ended. Hence the high numbers of trigger happy cops that don't take "no" for an answer.

Does anyone have the statistics for number of cops that are ex-military? I kind of remember reading something last year that explained a lot of police aggression as ex-soldiers that gravitated towards law enforcement after their service ended. Hence the high numbers of trigger happy cops that don't take "no" for an answer.

A quick search tells me a more in depth search is required. Nothing jumped out.

Soldiers are accountable for every single round and have to follow very strict rules of engagement. They are far from trigger happy.

i do not think ex military are the ones that are trigger happy.

Soldiers are accountable for every single round and have to follow very strict rules of engagement. They are far from trigger happy.

A quick search tells me a more in depth search is required. Nothing jumped out.

Welp moving on then

• Like 1

I'm not sure the number of former military in today's police forces are a statistical significance, but I have read several stories in the last few years of a number of cops that went postal that had been former military.

The July 20, 2013 WSJ had an excellent article related to that written by Radley Balko.

It is not a good thing. The notion of cop as "peace officer" is fading dimmer and dimmer.... :cry:

if one wants to do a study, it is very easy, from reports we know names of cops that shot dogs,. one can serch everything about them, even easier than for civilians, if you know where to look,