Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive Military Exercise going on

Thanato

Approximately 4,500 Canadian Armed Forces members are taking part in the largest Canadian military exercise of the year, Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE 2014 (EX MR14) at Garrison Wainwright, Alberta from May 5 to June 1.

Also participating in the exercise are units from the United States Army, United States Marine Corps, and a British Infantry Company, bringing the total number of troops to nearly 5 000 and making this year’s exercise the largest Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE ever.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2014/05/13/4500-canadian-military-personnel-taking-part-in-exercise-maple-resolve-2014/

And it sucks! Ha

Military exercises are generally not much fun, if that is what you mean, but they are not intended to be.

Military exercises are generally not much fun, if that is what you mean, but they are not intended to be.

Yea dust is everywhere

Get ready ´cause here we come.

The kind of dust that makes clear vision difficult.

The kind of dust that makes clear vision difficult.

The kind of dust that makes to start hacking up a lung. Oh sunny sunny wainwright

Oh, I don't know about that. When I was in the military during exercises we got to blow stuff up and run around basically pretending like we were attacking or defending against enemies. It was like a grown up version of cowboys and Indians. (And when we got pretend blown up, we went back to the barracks and were magically made alive again the next day.) Of course I might just be looking at the positive side of the exercises. (fun-wise)

• Like 7

The kind of dust that makes to start hacking up a lung. Oh sunny sunny wainwright

I don't know how dusty Wainwright is, but you should spend some time at the US National Training Center - Fort Irwin, California... It's dusty on a good day - other days it's just plain miserable... and hot...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Oh, I don't know about that. When I was in the military during exercises we got to blow stuff up and run around basically pretending like we were attacking or defending against enemies. It was like a grown up version of cowboys and Indians. (And when we got pretend blown up, we went back to the barracks and were magically made alive again the next day.) Of course I might just be looking at the positive side of the exercises. (fun-wise)

I never really had exercises; I had training and the real thing and then they discovered my English and I was off to Hanoi. I did not object.
  • Like 2

I don't know how dusty Wainwright is, but you should spend some time at the US National Training Center - Fort Irwin, California... It's dusty on a good day - other days it's just plain miserable... and hot...

Been there... 2 months in winter (warm though) but it rained for about a month straight. Miserable time ha rivers running through camp soaked from digging drainage rivers. Good times! They did bus us to Vegas so I guess not all that bad

• Like 1

Approximately 4,500 Canadian Armed Forces members are taking part in the largest Canadian military exercise of the year, Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE 2014 (EX MR14) at Garrison Wainwright, Alberta from May 5 to June 1.

Just don't get too "King in the north!" about it up there, and that'll be fine.

33 days without a shower...July-August. Good times.

• Like 2

33 days without a shower...July-August. Good times.

My first chance at a shower there, I guess it had been 20 days - also in July/August, I got in the shower fully dressed in all my 'battle-rattle' (less the protective mask) and gradually soaped/rinsed and then removed each piece of

equipment/clothing... I must have been in there for an hour (advantage of being a senior NCO and going after everyone, I could take as long as I wanted)... Still felt dirty when I came out but didn't smell half as bad...

Edited by Taun

Have fun, Thanato! /sarcasm

• Like 1

Oh god...Canadians?

They'll be aggressively pleasant!

Hey! Watch it, we might just get 'forward'!

(“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden.)

Edited by Likely Guy

chinooks

I know that this isnt the case.

I always think someone's being racist whenever I read the word chinook.

And I never know who I think they're insulting. It's just one of those words I guess

'Chinook', it's a helicopter, named after an unexpected warm winter wind.

'Chinook', it's a helicopter, named after an unexpected warm winter wind.

Right. like I said, it's just one of those words that makes me double take

• Like 1

I think calling 4,500 troops a "Massive" military excerise might be slightly exaggerating things a bit,hell when i was a kid i think more people than that showed up for paintball on any given saturday :lol::gun:

I think calling 4,500 troops a "Massive" military excerise might be slightly exaggerating things a bit,hell when i was a kid i think more people than that showed up for paintball on any given saturday :lol::gun:

I have to agree..my brigade alone was well over 5,000, and we had brigade size exercises 3 times a year.

• Like 1

It may sound small but when you only have three brigade groups and one is on exercise it's a massive ex.

Also on a sad note 2 days ago the CO of the Artilary Regiment (2RCHA) was killed when his LAV IIi rolled over.

Sorry to hear about the Arty CO...

With all the maneuvers, noise, dust and confusion, it's really something of a miracle that more training accidents don't happen..