Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the purpose of yawning ?

UM-Bot

The conventional idea that yawning is a sign of tiredness or boredom is now thought to be incorrect.

Instead, yawning may actually be about regulating the temperature of the brain. Like a computer, the brain operates best within a certain range of temperatures and when it gets too hot a good yawn can help to cool it down, promoting clearer thinking.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/266429/what-is-the-purpose-of-yawning

What is the purpose of yawning ?

To let people know they are boring you ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 3

I read somewhere that yawning was also the cause of one's body requiring a boost of oxygen in the blood stream. I wish I could remember the article in question.

• Like 2

well i must be a hot head. i yawn constantly

I yawned twice while reading the article.

• Like 1

Maybe there is connection but how can we explain the fact that if u see someone yawning u will do it too :) I did it when seen this picture :)))

I yawned twice while reading the article.

haha me too thats crazy ! lol.

Maybe there is connection but how can we explain the fact that if u see someone yawning u will do it too :) I did it when seen this picture :)))

its true yawing is contagious

I read somewhere that one yawns as an attempt to stay alert when one is bored.

so they can smell your breath and see their vulva, and vice versa, ewwww!!!!

• Like 1

well i must be a hot head. i yawn constantly

So does my dog!
  • Like 1

All this reminds me I have a cat that yawns continually whenever you scratch his head. My other cats don't do that. I doubt that it can be explained beyond "different cat," but it is interesting.

I read somewhere that yawning was also the cause of one's body requiring a boost of oxygen in the blood stream. I wish I could remember the article in question.

That's what I have heard/read as well. Nothing to do with boredom.

A little trick you can pull on a car load of people or a gathering of people is to yawn, wait a bit and yawn again. If you repeat this enough before long several people will start to yawn. LOL

• Like 1

so they can smell your breath and see their vulva, and vice versa, ewwww!!!!

I think you mean uvula but if they want to show the other bits it is fine by me :clap:

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

I buy yawn vacinations every morning, they last 5 hours and taste like fruit.

• Like 1

I have actually "forgot" how to yawn. I don't understand why i can' yawn anymore. It's like i will feel this "surge" of energy come up but when i have my mouth open nothing comes out. I haven't had a good "yawn" in months.

• Like 1

It IS because we are tired n bored!

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

I have actually "forgot" how to yawn. I don't understand why i can' yawn anymore. It's like i will feel this "surge" of energy come up but when i have my mouth open nothing comes out. I haven't had a good "yawn" in months.

Good brain ventilation or you are just to cool for skool ;)

• Like 1

I yawn a lot when my husband explains his job to me. When he looks annoyed that I seem bored I tell him I have air hunger ....he seems to be happy with that explanation :D

• Like 1

I thought it was cause we didn't get enough oxygen. So that it was our bodies way of "manually" getting more air or something... I can't remember the exact wording.