Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Biggest dinosaur ever' discovered

Troublehalf

Fossilised bones of a dinosaur believed to be the largest creature ever to walk the Earth have been unearthed in Argentina, palaeontologists say.

Based on its huge thigh bones, it was 40m (130ft) long and 20m (65ft) tall.

Weighing in at 77 tonnes, it was as heavy as 14 African elephants, and seven tonnes heavier than the previous record holder, Argentinosaurus.

Scientists believe it is a new species of titanosaur - an enormous herbivore dating from the Late Cretaceous period.

A local farm worker first stumbled on the remains in the desert near La Flecha, about 250km (135 miles) west of Trelew, Patagonia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27441156

• Like 6

What a size! Great find :tu:

• Like 1

The Earth keeps on revealing, and divulging secrets from our past.....Just when we think we know it all, there is always a new discovery to prove us wrong....

• Like 2

The Earth keeps on revealing, and divulging secrets from our past.....Just when we think we know it all, there is always a new discovery to prove us wrong....

Who thinks we know it all? :w00t:

Oh right - religious people always knew it all.

Edit: And as for OP - Looking forward to Jurassic World and this is an amazing find but hoping there are bigger real dino's hiding out there.

Edited by Timonthy

It is hard to even imagine anything so large being a vegetarian. I wonder how much vegetation it had to eat daily just to stay alive.

• Like 2

Interesting how the biggest dinosaurs so far were discovered in Argentina

• Like 2

Nice but Argentinosaurus is 80 to 100 tonnes.So this new Dino should be equal in size to Argentinosaurus and not bigger.I didn't heard any news which i am expecting for a longtime,that is a 200 tonne plus Dino beating the Blue Whale's record.I hope i hear that news before i die.

It is hard to even imagine anything so large being a vegetarian. I wonder how much vegetation it had to eat daily just to stay alive.

2 and half tonnes of Vegetation...

• Like 1

Argentina is a golden land of giants.....

This is the one i remember very well and that is why i don't use to believe some drawings on how a certain dinosaur looked like which is based on fragmentary specimens ----------- (One problem with assessing the weight of both Argentinosaurus and this new discovery is that they're both based on very fragmentary specimens - no complete skeleton is known, which means the animal's proportions and overall shape are conjectural.)

We can't know 100 % on how some large Dinosaurs weighed based on fragmentary specimens..So who knows if Argentinosaurus on average weighed 75 tonnes or 100 tonnes or neither this new Dino.

Anyway, 150 to 200 tonnes plus Dino may be hiding somewhere,come on out baby....

• Like 2

Actually, Argentinosaurus was given 100 tones, originally, then it was reduced to 70. So, no, it isn't.

However, both are difficult to size.

Who thinks we know it all? :w00t:

Oh right - religious people always knew it all.

And young people, of course. :yes:

• Like 2

God put those bone-shaped stones there to fool us.

Harte

• Like 2

A local farm worker first stumbled on the remains in the desert near La Flecha, about 250km (135 miles) west of Trelew, Patagonia.

And he still hasn't stopped screaming in terror

• Like 1

One thing im guessing it might be hard to determine from the bones if the dinosaur is male or female, so it could be an Argentinosaurus.

Based on the scene from Jurassic Park, T-rex would have needed to eat 235 lawyers a year to keep going.

• Like 6

Saw this on the news earlier tonight. I was like: "Omg. I can't believe they're still finding things." It makes me smile. I love the new dinosaur!

• Like 1

Based on the scene from Jurassic Park, T-rex would have needed to eat 235 lawyers a year to keep going.

Id say that's a reasonable price to have T-rexes..T-rexi?

• Like 1

Saw this on the news earlier tonight. I was like: "Omg. I can't believe they're still finding things." It makes me smile. I love the new dinosaur!

Well if it makes you smile; in reality we will never find everything ;)

Undiscovered_species_chart.png

I think the estimates are conservative :yes:

[...] I didn't heard any news which i am expecting for a longtime,that is a 200 tonne plus Dino beating the Blue Whale's record.I hope i hear that news before i die.

Well, the Blue Whale lives in the water, that behemoth should have walked on earth, so maybe it's difficult to see your hope come true.

Anyway, as you pointed out in another post, so far we have only bone fragments, so who knows!

Well if it makes you smile; in reality we will never find everything ;)

Undiscovered_species_chart.png

I think the estimates are conservative :yes:

And that counts only for the natural world: more or less at least 80% of what lies underground archaeologically is still to be discovered

Well, the Blue Whale lives in the water, that behemoth should have walked on earth, so maybe it's difficult to see your hope come true.

Anyway, as you pointed out in another post, so far we have only bone fragments, so who knows!

Blue whales are far less impressive in my opinion, water to sustain their weigh is what makes people think they're the 'largest' when in reality.A few sauropods certainly have more dimensional space when taken into account their vertebrae outstretch a considerable amount more than the mammal.

Blue whales are far less impressive in my opinion, water to sustain their weigh is what makes people think they're the 'largest' when in reality.A few sauropods certainly have more dimensional space when taken into account their vertebrae outstretch a considerable amount more than the mammal.

Points of view DigitalDreamer:

Blue-Whale-Size-Chart.jpg

Surely swimming in water takes some of the "fun" away, but if you consider that one of their fins is long more or less like the height of a T-Rex, that's something!

Anyway, we were talking about weight in this case, not lenght.

I agree with you that, after all, maybe some animals were more impressive than a Blue Whale:

the Jaekelopterus

jaekolopterus11.jpg

or the Arthropleura

go+ahead+keep+telling+yourself+that+_832043882b0626cb8e1973076113e55d.jpgarthropleura-size.jpg

or even the Meganeuropsis Permiana

dragonfly3.jpg

go+ahead+keep+telling+yourself+that+_832043882b0626cb8e1973076113e55d.jpg

Eww... the last thing I saw that was anything like that was a candidate for 'World's Biggest Hoagie'.

On a caraway-seed roll. :P

Godzilla has beeen found! or Gojira if you prefer.Anyway you slice it, it's a great find.

Points of view DigitalDreamer:

Blue-Whale-Size-Chart.jpg

Surely swimming in water takes some of the "fun" away, but if you consider that one of their fins is long more or less like the height of a T-Rex, that's something!

Anyway, we were talking about weight in this case, not lenght.

I agree with you that, after all, maybe some animals were more impressive than a Blue Whale:

the Jaekelopterus

jaekolopterus11.jpg

or the Arthropleura

go+ahead+keep+telling+yourself+that+_832043882b0626cb8e1973076113e55d.jpgarthropleura-size.jpg

or even the Meganeuropsis Permiana

dragonfly3.jpg

When gravity is taken into account it just seems like more a feat being alive with all that,ya know

Sauropod_Size_Chart.png