Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superstitions

Maureen_jacobs

What are some of your superstitions?

Mine are,

No shoes on any table

No hairbrush or comb on any dining table

No hangars on door knobs

• Like 3

My grandmother had a strange one. If she ever accidentally opened a can upside down, she'd throw the food away. Something about inviting death into the family. She'd also never use a broom from one house in another because you could move spirits from one house to another.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Mine are,

No shoes on any table

No hangars on door knobs

What's the reasoning?

• Like 1

I dont have any but my father has a strange one that if you eat fish of any kind, and drink milk in the same meal, you'll be poisoned and die.

• Like 1

Sometimes i flip a coin to make a decision when i cant decide between two things. But I feel if i go with the way the coin didnt tell me to go then things are going to turn out bad :innocent:

• Like 1

Shoes on the table was supposed to presage a fight.

I had not heard of the other two, but hangers on doorknobs are a nuisance anyway unless the door is more or less permanently open.

According to my late mother, when thunderstorms were about her grandmother used to cover the mirrors in the house to prevent the lightning coming inside. Apparently a Scots thing.

• Like 3

No idea....

Yeah, like Codenwarra (welcome to UM, btw :) ) alluded to, 'shoes on a table' has a reason for the superstition.

Another one my grandmother had was a wild bird in the house, mean't a death in the family.

eta: This grandmother was Irish.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Don't look under my bed, that's the boogey-mans domain

I never tie my right shoelace before my left.I have been doing this since I was a kid, I don't know why but it has no doubt stopped the world from being destroyed so far :)

• Like 5

I dont have any but my father has a strange one that if you eat fish of any kind, and drink milk in the same meal, you'll be poisoned and die.

Thank God I've survived!

Anyway back to superstitions, there're quite a few that I can remember(my parents are rather superstitious people):

1) Do not cut your fingernails after 6. The nails will allow the spirit to turn into someone who looks like you. (No idea how it works though..)

2) Do not sing/whistle at night. Spirits will be attracted to you and follow you.

3)Not eating/slicing an apple at midnight. You'll see the face of your future husband in your reflection and that's definitely not something you want to see.

Well that's all I can remember for now. It presently seems rather interesting to me, but when I was a kid and my parents told me these - man, it freaked me out real bad.

Edited by pallorprofile

I can't sleep at night with my closet cracked, or any clothes sticking out of my dresser drawers. But this is probably related to my OCD and not all out superstition, my family didn't really have any superstition's to my recollection. Which seems odd because I have a huge family and where spaced out all over this globe. So some of them might actually have superstitions that I don't know about.

I gotta question though would it be considered a superstition to the person who actually believes it? or would it be considered real, If only at least to them

I feel like if I update my life insurance policy or my emergency contact information, those things will be used soon afterwards.

• Like 1

I feel like if I update my life insurance policy or my emergency contact information, those things will be used soon afterwards.

Iv actually heard that one before.

If you break a mirror you will have 7 years of bad luck, at least that's what my parents said??

• Like 2

Something about a Black Cat crossing your path!!

Edited by JVG
  • Like 1

I dunno if I have any obvious ones myself thinking about it, but I had a next door neighbour as a kid who had an oddball belief that seeing a red haired person just after midnight on New Year's Eve brought about bad luck.

Being from a family of redheads, we had a lot of fun with that.

edit: Googling for it, I see the superstition was that the first person into your house after midnight was a red head would bring bad luck which makes sense from what I remember as we used to knock on his door after midnight and he'd refuse to let us in.

I love fish and chips with a glass of cold milk. Edited by JesseCuster

• 2 weeks later...

Pick up a penny that's heads up brings good luck or a pin.

Don't kill a praying mantis it brings bad luck.

My great grandma told me don't put your purse on the floor or it will walk away.

She also gaveing me a red slip-knot and said something about it. I don't remimber what it was.

There's one that is very widely believed in my home town:

Tornadoes can't cross water.

BTW if anyone know about the red slip-knot please tell me.

• Like 1

I never eat pop rocks and drink pepsi :whistle:

On a serious note, I can't think of any superstitions that I personally have, however I am of cuban descent and my grandmother is extremely superstitious. I wish I could think of any right now but i'll have to ponder over it for a bit, either way some interesting ones posted so far.

Some superstitions are more like truisms,

others make sense in terms of likely outcome,

a few reinforce the natural order of things and

most of the remainder are just silly, e.g. my dog

adopted a black tomcat that repeatedly alerted

her of and protected us from copperhead snakes.

0:-) MGby.

Edited by aka CAT

I heard a black cat crossing your path brings good luck when crossing left to right.

Its good luck to put a new pair of shoes on a table, but not old or worn shoes.

Its bad luck to cut a babies finger or toe nails before the childs first birthday, but you can bite the nails to trim them.

Edited by Redefining Success

• 2 weeks later...

What are some of your superstitions?

Mine are,

No shoes on any table

No hangars on door knobs

My maternal grandmother was from London, England. Needless to say I was influenced by far too many crazy superstitions, But I must say I have not heard of the three you mention.

I toss the spilled salt over left shoulder

I don't walk under ladders for safety sake

I do feel worried a tad at breaking a mirror

If I peel an apple or orange in one long peel I throw it over my right shoulder to see what alphabet letter it makes on the floor , Of course I do this to see the first letter of the name of the man I will marry. Is that in the superstition category?

I love black cats and never worry bout them

I believe in many many new years day superstitions

If you speak aloud your worries and fears, the Devil will hear you and make them come true

so many more...gosh thanks grama