Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeleton of legendary devil dog Black Shuck?

Still Waters

Yesterday, 500 years after Black Shuck first went on the prowl, archaeologists were examining the skeleton of a 7ft long dog unearthed in the remains of an ancient abbey.

It was discovered a few miles from two churches where Black Shuck is said to have killed worshippers during an almighty thunderstorm in August 1577.

http://www.dailymail...ast-Anglia.html

• Like 2

Interesting! So perhaps a particularly bad thunderstorm coupled with a particularly terrified large dog may have led to the legend.

Or perhaps it's just coincidence and some wealthy landownder cherished their companion enough to have it buried in the same century as the Black Shuck incident?

Could the dog have been struck by lightening? I know that's maybe a stretch, but still?

Have to admit I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the black dog legend.

Edited by Urisk

Awesome Weather Vane.

The bones will be put on display I would imagine.

Awesome Weather Vane.

The bones will be put on display I would imagine.

If the remains can be radio-carbon dated to the period, I imagine that the towns of Blythburgh and Bungay will be scrapping over the bones of Black Shuck.

• Like 1

Could be an Irish Wolfhound...just as big as Great Danes.

Scooby-Doo - Where are you!

My favorite kind of black schuck.... You knew I had to....

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

So there is nothing supernatural about the size of the dog found? Normal if large?

A slightly less sensational version: http://www.eadt.co.u...shuck_1_3600768

A version of this says "stood 7 feet tall on its hind legs", which makes it the size of a smaller Great Dane. If you've ever had a dog stand with its paws on your shoulder, you'll understand how a dog can easily be over 7 feet tall.

Edited by Kenemet

My favorite kind of black schuck.... You knew I had to....

Tune!! Not heard that in a loooooong time.

Struck by lightning? On fire and all flamey? No wonder it was in a rage, poor thing must've been terified :(

Edited by Urisk

Great story, but I admit to never having heard of it before. Is Black Shuck a commonly known legend in England?

This is really cool and exciting!!! Great stuff! Let us know the results of the tests please.

Could that have been a wolf?

The Great Dane breed wasn't around that long ago, was it? I know there were big dogs in the ancient world resembling modern dogs.

• Like 1

Yesterday, 500 years after Black Shuck first went on the prowl, archaeologists were examining the skeleton of a 7ft long dog unearthed in the remains of an ancient abbey.

It was discovered a few miles from two churches where Black Shuck is said to have killed worshippers during an almighty thunderstorm in August 1577.

http://www.dailymail...ast-Anglia.html

I wonder if it's buried in the Abbey because the Abbot and his mates set out to capture "Satan's own Hound" and buried it on Sanctified Ground just to make sure it doesn't come back.

• 3 weeks later...

So the skeleton of a dog the size of a Great Dane, couldn't be--a Great Dane? And once again it falls on me to figure out the mysteries of the universe!

Edited by SaraT