Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Rock Art ‘May Have Been Aliens'

Sweetpumper

Though the White House maintains that there has not yet been credible evidence that suggests the presence of extra terrestrial life, a new volume of an official NASA e-book released this week details the hunt for such evidence by the space agency and other organizations and even suggests that unusual patterns cut into rock actually “might have been made by aliens.”

http://www.theblaze....made-by-aliens/

• "The article contains information about art and aliens 'n stuff. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such."
  • "Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, SP does not represent, warrant, undertake or guarantee ... that the information in the article is correct, accurate, complete or non-misleading."
  • "We will not be liable to you in respect of any special, indirect or consequential loss or damage."

Edited by Sweetpumper

Okay... in tracking the thing down, I find several items that are pretty hinky:

It's not a NASA publication. If you use the search function on NASA's site, it's not findable. In fact, it's not listed on the NASA ebooks index. (here's one of their books that WAS published by them and is findable by their searches: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/a_new_twist_detail.html#.U3zEHCgbFus)

What's even more interesting (I looked at the ebook) is that it doesn't seem to be saying what the news article SAYS it is saying.

• Like 1

im-not-saying-that-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens.jpg
  • Like 2

im-not-saying-that-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-aliens.jpg

You beat me to it. I was just about to paste the same pic. :D

Giorgio Tsoukalos, the man with the hurricane-proof haircut.

It looks like he's always located right behind the afterburner of a F16.

Here is a few more composed memes of the man.

ea97d3ea-38b0-4fc4-8e3a-5a1eee999cfc_zps5b48d171.jpg

I love his enthusiasm. :)

Edited by EllJay
  • Like 4

Okay... in tracking the thing down, I find several items that are pretty hinky:

It's not a NASA publication. If you use the search function on NASA's site, it's not findable. In fact, it's not listed on the NASA ebooks index. (here's one of their books that WAS published by them and is findable by their searches: http://www.nasa.gov/...ml#.U3zEHCgbFus)

This is the book e-here:

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/archaeology_anthropology_and_interstellar_communication.html

• Like 1

This certainly is a NASA publication. I have yet to read it, but judging by the relevant excerpt, the discussed connection of extraterrestrials to rock art seems to be that problem of understanding the communication of either is similar in some respects.

If we have no knowledge of the symbology used, this may present a formidable challenge. It is possible that ET communications intended for the uninitiated to understand will rely on presumably shared knowledge, such as basic mathematics.

The passing remark that some ancient rock art could have been made by extraterrestrials is true, but this is the thinnest sort of speculation. It is obviously not intended for a serious scientific hypothesis. Its probability appears low.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

This certainly is a NASA publication. I have yet to read it, but judging by the relevant excerpt, the discussed connection of extraterrestrials to rock art seems to be that problem of understanding the communication of either is similar in some respects.

If we have no knowledge of the symbology used, this may present a formidable challenge. It is possible that ET communications intended for the uninitiated to understand will rely on presumably shared knowledge, such as basic mathematics.

The passing remark that some ancient rock art could have been made by extraterrestrials is true, but this is the thinnest sort of speculation. It is obviously not intended for a serious scientific hypothesis. Its probability appears low.

you deleted your link before i posted my reply

i wonder if you still think it's a valid nasa publication or you're just sliding out without explaining your edit?

http://www.nasa.gov/...ions.TAGGED.pdf

Page Not Found

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

you deleted your link before i posted my reply

i wonder if you still think it's a valid nasa publication or you're just sliding out without explaining your edit?

http://www.nasa.gov/...ions.TAGGED.pdf

Page Not Found

Try this:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/Archaeology_Anthropology_and_Interstellar_Communication_TAGGED.pdf

BTW, before the conversation gets too derailed on the point, it's an official NASA ebook and is available for freely downloading on their website at the links I posted above.

This is the book e-here:

http://www.nasa.gov/...munication.html

Yes, I found it and downloaded it (but found it strange that you can't locate it on the site from the site's own search engine and that it wasn't on the book catalog when I looked.)

I don't see that it says that space aliens are responsible for rock art, though. The only mention of art is in the introduction, where he mentions the cover art... "symbol" is not a word in the document (at least, according to the search) nor is petrograph or pictograph or lithic. The closest chapter title may be "Archaeology, Anthropology, and Interstellar Communication", and I read the chapter and there's nothing in it about rock art created by aliens.

So, something's very wonky. There's a real disjoint between what the article SAYS the book is about and what it's about.

• Like 1

True. But as far as I can tell, the only time they mention something similar involves the Hindu Valley Scripts and the decypherment of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.

I looked for, but didn't find that passage in there. Of course, I was just hitting the chapters where I thought the statement might be found and didn't read the whole thing.

I looked for, but didn't find that passage in there. Of course, I was just hitting the chapters where I thought the statement might be found and didn't read the whole thing.

Bison wasn't quoting it directly. Here's the relevant passage from the book:
Such ancient stone carvings can be found in many countries, and the example in Figure 15.1 is from Doddington Moor, Northumbria, England. We can say little, if anything, about what these patterns signify, why they were cut into rocks, or who created them. For all intents and purposes, they might have been made by aliens.13

The 13 refers to a footnote which reads as follows:

One need only think of books by Immanuel Velikovsky or Erich von Daniken to see where that line of thinking can end up.

Which shows you what they think of those clowns and their theories.

• Like 8

Page Not Found.

The page you requested either doesn't exist anymore, or was moved.

You can try searching for the topic, or follow the links below.

Come on, I want my Ancient Aliens dose for the day!

Weird. First bison's link goes dead and now both my links are dead, a direct link to the PDF and one to the download page.

Too late NASA, I've already downloaded your ancient aliens PDF!

• Like 1

The link I posted this morning didn't work when i checked it. JesseCuster had posted a working link at the same time I was typing my post, so I omitted my link. Yes, the ebook discussed is was available through a NASA website, and is a legitimate NASA publication. The idea that ETs are responsible for rock art is apparently merely referred to in passing. It is not defended or advocated.

I confirm that the previously working link is now down. Perhaps the way The Blaze publicized it caused the site to be overwhelmed with traffic, or perhaps NASA wasn't comfortable with this sort of publicity.

Edited by bison

The idea that ETs are responsible for rock art is apparently merely referred to in passing. It is not defended or advocated.

And reading it in context it appears what they are saying is that because ancient rock art like the one being discussed is so hard to decipher and make sense of, for all intents and purposes it might have been made by aliens, i.e. they're not actually suggesting it might have been aliens, just that it may as well have been so obscure and unknown is its meaning. Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 7

• "The article contains information about art and aliens 'n stuff. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such."
  • "Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing paragraph, SP does not represent, warrant, undertake or guarantee ... that the information in the article is correct, accurate, complete or non-misleading."
  • "We will not be liable to you in respect of any special, indirect or consequential loss or damage."

Interesting. Some topics keep raising their head again and again. I wonder why?

I feel some precision stone walls making an appearance here in the not too distant future.

B)

And reading it in context it appears what they are saying is that because ancient rock art like the one being discussed is so hard to decipher and make sense of, for all intents and purposes it might have been made by aliens, i.e. they're not actually suggesting it might have been aliens, just that it may as well have been so obscure and unknown is its meaning.

Don't you think some of the rock art depicts aliens? It looks incredibly suspicious to me.

Edited by zoser

I feel some precision stone walls making an appearance here in the not too distant future.

Dont bother trying to divert yet another thread :td:

• Like 3

I confirm that the previously working link is now down. Perhaps the way The Blaze publicized it caused the site to be overwhelmed with traffic, or perhaps NASA wasn't comfortable with this sort of publicity.

tumblr_monjzu0zqZ1qzw0uno2_r1_500.png

Interesting. Some topics keep raising their head again and again. I wonder why?

Do you plan to read it? I have it downloaded and can email it to anyone who wants a copy if NASA don't put a link back up on their website.

Do you plan to read it? I have it downloaded and can email it to anyone who wants a copy if NASA don't put a link back up on their website.

Is it a big doc?

Why do I think this will show up in my "Things you thought were news, but weren't" feed next week.

Is it a big doc?

Cone on JC, if its more than 2 paragraphs long he wont be able to manage it...

:w00t::clap: .... told ya!

Edited by seeder