Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How would you react?

JJ50

In the unlikely event it could be proved with absolute certainty that no deity or afterlife exists, and when you die you cease to be, what difference would it make to your life?

nothing... as long as my name will echo for eternity

• Like 2

It would make no difference to me at all.

• Like 1

Actually, I would live each day to the fullest... oh wait, I try to do that all ready... :tu:

In the unlikely event it could be proved with absolute certainty that no deity or afterlife exists, and when you die you cease to be, what difference would it make to your life?

No difference at all ,you have just stated my beliefs in your question

fullywired

It would make no difference to me, as well. I saw through the falacy of religion when I was about 14 years old. From then on I had the idea that after death is the same as before birth.

I don't remember me before I was born, and if I don't remember me after I die, death is nothing to worry about.

I'd sale babies to homosexual couples and smite people that asked stupid questions like why are you taking my kid away from me

Edited by 029b10

I would look at hot Woman with lust, and still make sure they do not catch me looking at them that way.

I'd sale babies to homosexual couples and smite people that asked stupid questions like why are you taking my kid away from me

You forgot to end with "Because without God, there are no morals".

You forgot to end with "Because without God, there are no morals"

I disagree. Morality is not based on religion or ideas of life after death, it is based on the self-preservation and wellbeing of the individual within society. A moral and well-ordered society is more beneficial to the individual than anarchy, and we all realize this (except for the thugs here and there who will always exist within any society).

• Like 1

I disagree. Morality is not based on religion or ideas of life after death, it is based on the self-preservation and wellbeing of the individual within society. A moral and well-ordered society is more beneficial to the individual than anarchy, and we all realize this (except for the thugs here and there who will always exist within any society).

I agree with you.

That's an interesting question for a Christian. Many churches would disband, although I suspect a few would remain in existence for the fellowship. For me personally, there would be no more Bible study, I suppose. Past that, I don't think I would change much. I would still consider the goals of "spiritual fruit" (peace, joy, love, compassion, patience, kindness, and others) to be laudable, so I would still try to incorporate those into my character. However, I would still have to seek an answer for the spiritual phenomena I have experienced which I perceive to be real.

I would kill everyone I didn't like because the fear of hell fire is the only thing stopping me now.

• Like 2

However, I would still have to seek an answer for the spiritual phenomena I have experienced which I perceive to be real.

Just study Neurology, and Psychology.

I would kill everyone I didn't like because the fear of hell fire is the only thing stopping me now.

I trust that is a jokey comment?

That's an interesting question for a Christian. Many churches would disband, although I suspect a few would remain in existence for the fellowship. For me personally, there would be no more Bible study, I suppose. Past that, I don't think I would change much. I would still consider the goals of "spiritual fruit" (peace, joy, love, compassion, patience, kindness, and others) to be laudable, so I would still try to incorporate those into my character. However, I would still have to seek an answer for the spiritual phenomena I have experienced which I perceive to be real.

I think all experiences which appear to be 'supernatural' in origin are actually created by the mind. Throughout my life I have had some extremely weird experiences, but I am still of the same opinion.

• Like 1

None. God is about mentoring me and empowering me, so I can be the best I can be, and give the most I can give, in this life now. It has nothing to do with any hypothetical life after death.

• Like 1

I have to ask, why does there have to be a GOD, or a devil, in order to be an afterlife??

• Like 1

I trust that is a jokey comment?

Of course it is.

I have to ask, why does there have to be a GOD, or a devil, in order to be an afterlife??

Yea that's the basic idea in Buddhism. Gods if they exist are just dead people in another life. Pretty much all sentience has existed from the very beginning and goes through life after life, giving what otherwise would be reflexive mechanical organisms their ability to experience the world and be aware.

I don't know how much of this is real. It was worked out over the centuries by monks arguing and thinking about it, and it makes sense and has the benefit of providing a framework for understanding consciousness without resort to dualism and souls and so on. My approach is to think this is the most likely but I would not call it my belief.

I think all experiences which appear to be 'supernatural' in origin are actually created by the mind. Throughout my life I have had some extremely weird experiences, but I am still of the same opinion.

Might I suggest that all your experiences, not just those that seem supernatural, are created by the mind. Incoming light photons striking your retina would be nothing more if you did not have a mind to experience color and form and movement.
  • Like 1

Might I suggest that all your experiences, not just those that seem supernatural, are created by the mind. Incoming light photons striking your retina would be nothing more if you did not have a mind to experience color and form and movement.

Thats ridiculous, what about blind people?

But seriously, I would think science had failed us.

Thats ridiculous, what about blind people?

Extend frank's comments to all our senses of hearing, touch, smell, etc. It is our mind which experiences these, as the impulses come from the various sensory organs to the mind, for processing. Every experience we have is a mental one, prompted by "information" (from both internal and external stimuli) impacting on various sense organs.

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1