Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How's Coast To Coast?

No Censorship

I was a fan of the show for many years, however when Noory took over the show he added the political dimension to the show, which I don't really care for, however that is not to say I don't disagree. The show did need a little more diversity, I just don't care for that diversity being in the political arena.

If he covers political subjects like he covers paranormal subjects, he'll lose even more affiliates. Put a fork in it, next to the one that's already there.

If he covers political subjects like he covers paranormal subjects, he'll lose even more affiliates. Put a fork in it, next to the one that's already there.

Well, he and Art Bell are beating each other up, Art started his own show, then George took him to court over it. They settled, apparently George and Art had a non-competition clause for some number of years. I have noticed that Art doesn't host any more, which he didn't do much after George took over, but he would pop back in from time to time. Also George is always making comments about Art on the show, nothing bad, but nothing really good either. Stuff like, 'Art's back in the US now from picking up his new Filipino wife from a catalogue.' Just little digs like that. I have also noticed that the conspiracy stuff has increased a lot as well.

The good news is George can make changes to the show and people are still going to listen to him be cause he's on at such an odd time which means he has little competition.

• Like 1

Can anyone suggest/link to an episode of this that's particularly spook? I've always read about Coast to Coast but never actually listened to any of it.

Well, he and Art Bell are beating each other up, Art started his own show, then George took him to court over it. They settled, apparently George and Art had a non-competition clause for some number of years. I have noticed that Art doesn't host any more, which he didn't do much after George took over, but he would pop back in from time to time. Also George is always making comments about Art on the show, nothing bad, but nothing really good either. Stuff like, 'Art's back in the US now from picking up his new Filipino wife from a catalogue.' Just little digs like that. I have also noticed that the conspiracy stuff has increased a lot as well.

The good news is George can make changes to the show and people are still going to listen to him be cause he's on at such an odd time which means he has little competition.

I'm confused by your post. To my knowledge, Noory never sued Bell. Bell had a show on Sirius satellite radio for a short time, and he quit it. The stream of the show had glitches and gremlins. Bell's supposed to start a new program on DMRN in July. He had to wait that long due to a non-compete clause with Sirius. We'll see what takes place when it expires in a few months. It would be nice to hear Bell again, even if he's on for just two or three nights a week.

• Like 2

Can anyone suggest/link to an episode of this that's particularly spook? I've always read about Coast to Coast but never actually listened to any of it.

You can find old Coasts on You Tube. You might like the old Ghost-To-Ghost shows with *Art Bell* as host, as well as the episodes with the EVP researchers.

Yea, I thought Art and George were on good terms too. The only legal issue I've heard about involving Art was with the satellite company he was trying to use for his broadcasts, but then, I haven't been following along for about a year now.

• Like 1

I'm confused by your post. To my knowledge, Noory never sued Bell. Bell had a show on Sirius satellite radio for a short time, and he quit it. The stream of the show had glitches and gremlins. Bell's supposed to start a new program on DMRN in July. He had to wait that long due to a non-compete clause with Sirius. We'll see what takes place when it expires in a few months. It would be nice to hear Bell again, even if he's on for just two or three nights a week.

No it was the other way around, Bell sued Noory. Nothing much really came of it other than Bell then began his other radio show as a counter to Coast to Coast. It died unceremoniously. I understand he's got a new gig on Sirius, as you mention. I think what it all boiled down to was Bell wanted to be shed of the hassle of doing a daily radio show, seven days a week is tough, and if you want some time off then you have to record shows or have a backlog of older shows that you can insert into your time slot. So he cut a deal with Noory, and Noory bought the show from him......I have no idea what he paid for it, and when he did that he could take the show in whatever direction he wanted. My own opinion, for what it's worth is that after Art had some time he missed the show, Noory would have Art on from time to time as a guest host, but then Art didn't like the changes in the format that George put in, and let's be real here for a moment. Art built the show from nothing, it was his baby, but he sold it and George simply was going to do what he was going to do and then all the bickering started in public.

I have to say I don't understand what the big deal was, Bell sold the show to Noory and walked away. Now I have no idea what show business is like but if I sold you my car, we agreed upon a price, you paid it, I signed the title over to you, that is no longer my car. So then you go and have it turned into a lowrider, and I see it and freak out. "Dude! What have you done to my car?!?" Then you take out the title and say, "Excuse me Kevin, see this title? It's got my name on it. That car is mine and I'll do what ever the heck I feel like doing to it." I can't see it being any different. I think Art feels he made a mistake or he's suffering from......"seller's remorse".

I understand that they now have worked out their differences and Art is going to be doing a show on Sirius, but for a while there the two of them were verbally slapping each other every chance they got.

Edited by KevinP
  • Like 1

No it was the other way around, Bell sued Noory. Nothing much really came of it other than Bell then began his other radio show as a counter to Coast to Coast. It died unceremoniously. I understand he's got a new gig on Sirius, as you mention. I think what it all boiled down to was Bell wanted to be shed of the hassle of doing a daily radio show, seven days a week is tough, and if you want some time off then you have to record shows or have a backlog of older shows that you can insert into your time slot. So he cut a deal with Noory, and Noory bought the show from him......I have no idea what he paid for it, and when he did that he could take the show in whatever direction he wanted. My own opinion, for what it's worth is that after Art had some time he missed the show, Noory would have Art on from time to time as a guest host, but then Art didn't like the changes in the format that George put in, and let's be real here for a moment. Art built the show from nothing, it was his baby, but he sold it and George simply was going to do what he was going to do and then all the bickering started in public.

I have to say I don't understand what the big deal was, Bell sold the show to Noory and walked away. Now I have no idea what show business is like but if I sold you my car, we agreed upon a price, you paid it, I signed the title over to you, that is no longer my car. So then you go and have it turned into a lowrider, and I see it and freak out. "Dude! What have you done to my car?!?" Then you take out the title and say, "Excuse me Kevin, see this title? It's got my name on it. That car is mine and I'll do what ever the heck I feel like doing to it." I can't see it being any different. I think Art feels he made a mistake or he's suffering from......"seller's remorse".

I understand that they now have worked out their differences and Art is going to be doing a show on Sirius, but for a while there the two of them were verbally slapping each other every chance they got.

Brother, that just ain't true. Bell never sued Noory or any other Coast host. Bell quit his Sirius gig way back when. His non-compete clause won't expire for close to six months. I also don't know what you mean by buying and selling the show. Noory works for Premier, and they have the rights to Coast. I agree with some of your points, though. Maybe Bell just wasn't into a new show, and he found any excuse or reason to quit. Coast has gone in a new direction, and Bell certainly does *not* like it, but that might be corporate's decision (or the producers). I'm not sure where you got the other information, though. It sounds like someone or something gave some bogus information to you. It happens. :)

• Like 2

Brother, that just ain't true. Bell never sued Noory or any other Coast host. Bell quit his Sirius gig way back when. His non-compete clause won't expire for close to six months. I also don't know what you mean by buying and selling the show. Noory works for Premier, and they have the rights to Coast. I agree with some of your points, though. Maybe Bell just wasn't into a new show, and he found any excuse or reason to quit. Coast has gone in a new direction, and Bell certainly does *not* like it, but that might be corporate's decision (or the producers). I'm not sure where you got the other information, though. It sounds like someone or something gave some bogus information to you. It happens. :)

The way Snoory has always told it, Art told everyone, "George gets it," meaning Bad George has always held forth that Art gave him the Bell stamp of approval. Now I know and you know that Ian was Premiere's **first** choice to take over when Art left, but that was not to be given Ian's educational plans, and gentleman that he is, Art backed Bad George as Prem Rat's choice.

George has also said ad nauseum that Art told him to make the show his own and take it in his own direction--good advice in general, but IMNSHO ultimately harmful in bad George's case.

It's true to some extent that the bones of many topics Art harvested in the '90's have been so well-picked over there's little left but repetition and boredom in re-visiting them (especially with Bad George's 3X5 cards!).

But an effective, smart, educated host willing to do his homework before each show can make all the difference in the world, which is why I always try to tune into Good George on his occasional Sunday nights and why I'd do a happy dance if I heard Ian were hosting even one holiday show over Christmas or New Year's.

• Like 1

The way Snoory has always told it, Art told everyone, "George gets it," meaning Bad George has always held forth that Art gave him the Bell stamp of approval. Now I know and you know that Ian was Premiere's **first** choice to take over when Art left, but that was not to be given Ian's educational plans, and gentleman that he is, Art backed Bad George as Prem Rat's choice.

George has also said ad nauseum that Art told him to make the show his own and take it in his own direction--good advice in general, but IMNSHO ultimately harmful in bad George's case.

It's true to some extent that the bones of many topics Art harvested in the '90's have been so well-picked over there's little left but repetition and boredom in re-visiting them (especially with Bad George's 3X5 cards!).

But an effective, smart, educated host willing to do his homework before each show can make all the difference in the world, which is why I always try to tune into Good George on his occasional Sunday nights and why I'd do a happy dance if I heard Ian were hosting even one holiday show over Christmas or New Year's.

Bell actually said that. To my knowledge, he never explained what he meant by it. Maybe Noory got how to work within the system in a manner that never surprised or upset the suits. He knew how to keep his job.

I agree with your point about the dull and stale subjects. One could think that all paranormal events ceased in the early '00s. Like you say, they could find many interesting stories if they looked for them. Noory won't even read new stories from paranormal news sites.

I haven't listened to a complete live Noory-hosted Coast during the past two years. I caught two shows on You Tube, and he ruined both of them with his inane comments and questions. I thought that there was a tiny chance that his guests could prevent his shenanigans because the topics were, I thought for a split second, impervious to ruination. I gave it a 2% chance, so I wasn't too disappointed when the shows stunk, through no fault of the guests.

I still listen to Knapp and other hosts. I'm not hypercritical, so I'm cool with *all* of them. Yeah, it would be great to hear Punnett from time to time because he truly put his own stamp on the show with mostly fascinating, novel programs, and he had *real* conversations with his guests. Maybe Noory doesn't use index cards; maybe he uses the same list of questions on the same piece of paper that's been in his desk for the past ten years.

That may be, however Bell stated a show called "Dark Matter", didn't run long and it all hit the fan between the two of them. I think they have it all settled out between them now. I think of the two I liked Art Bell better, the only trouble with Bell was he'd all but endorse anything and anyone who came on the phone lines. I recall he'd get a couple different people claiming to be from the future, which makes no sense at all really. You're from the future, odds are you don't want to upset the current time line, so you lay low. You don't get on a nationally syndicated show and start tell everything.

I'm not surprised everyone didn't know more about all the hoop-la between Noory and Bell.

Here's a link: http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/2014/02/08/art-bell-weighs-in-on-the-present-coast-to-coast-controversy/

Seems pretty tame but it did happen.

Last night Richard Syrett hosted... Not a big fan.

Tonight however, Knapp will have none other than Bob Lazar on.

Should be humorous, if nothing else.

• Like 1

Last night Richard Syrett hosted... Not a big fan.

Tonight however, Knapp will have none other than Bob Lazar on.

Should be humorous, if nothing else.

I'm surprised. I thought that it would be another Kennedy roundtable discussion group.

• Like 1

I'm surprised. I thought that it would be another Kennedy roundtable discussion group.

Indeed it was. i was snoring an hour in to it.

Unless they blame the assassination on Hitler, Bigfoot, aliens or a combination of the three, then it's really the same old theory's, wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

That's kind of the thing with the show now. You never really know what you're going to get which is why I often time will try and catch them on Youtube, cuts out the long commercial breaks, if the first person is boring you can fast forward to the more interesting stuff. However, Knapp and Bob Lazar are old tag team buddies. I recall Stanton Friedman did some checking on Bob Lazar, he can't name any of his old professors, he can't say what buildings he had lectures in or where they were located on campus and when Friedman asked them, Calpoly (?) I think it was Calpoly said they had no record of Bob Lazar under any combination of names they could put together. Then came the allegations that the government wiped out his college records. Ok, but they couldn't wipe out his brain. I went to college back in the seventies and I can still name most all my old professors. I can tell you what the names of the building were and where they were located. If I were to go there I could take you to them and tell you what was different about them.

Lazar can't do any of that, not to mention he was busted for runnin' whores in Vegas. So, Lazar and his story while interesting in the beginning is just another Rick Dyer to me and if George Knapp is still playing the game with him then maybe we need to take another look at Knapp as well.

Edited by KevinP
  • Like 3

No way I would sit through those commercials.

• Like 2

Indeed it was. i was snoring an hour in to it.

Unless they blame the assassination on Hitler, Bigfoot, aliens or a combination of the three, then it's really the same old theory's, wash, rinse, repeat.

I was talking about Knapp's show, but, yeah, Syrett brought nothing really new to the (round)table. Some caller blamed the Mossad, so that was somewhat, relatively, comparably "new".

• Like 1

That's kind of the thing with the show now. You never really know what you're going to get which is why I often time will try and catch them on Youtube, cuts out the long commercial breaks, if the first person is boring you can fast forward to the more interesting stuff. However, Knapp and Bob Lazar are old tag team buddies. I recall Stanton Friedman did some checking on Bob Lazar, he can't name any of his old professors, he can't say what buildings he had lectures in or where they were located on campus and when Friedman asked them, Calpoly (?) I think it was Calpoly said they had no record of Bob Lazar under any combination of names they could put together. Then came the allegations that the government wiped out his college records. Ok, but they couldn't wipe out his brain. I went to college back in the seventies and I can still name most all my old professors. I can tell you what the names of the building were and where they were located. If I were to go there I could take you to them and tell you what was different about them.

Lazar can't do any of that, not to mention he was busted for runnin' whores in Vegas. So, Lazar and his story while interesting in the beginning is just another Rick Dyer to me and if George Knapp is still playing the game with him then maybe we need to take another look at Knapp as well.

I hate to say it, but there's truth to what you say. I really like Knapp, but some of his associates and/or guests give me pause. Melba Ketchum comes to mind. I'm a bit of an amateur anthropologist, and let's just say that some of her points seem quite dubious. I don't think that Knapp's a con. I think that he knows some cons, and he's too naive and trusting at times. He's too much of a "nice guy" to call them out on their BS. I'm referring to just his old pals when I say this.

• Like 2

I hate to say it, but there's truth to what you say. I really like Knapp, but some of his associates and/or guests give me pause. Melba Ketchum comes to mind. I'm a bit of an amateur anthropologist, and let's just say that some of her points seem quite dubious. I don't think that Knapp's a con. I think that he knows some cons, and he's too naive and trusting at times. He's too much of a "nice guy" to call them out on their BS. I'm referring to just his old pals when I say this.

I understand not wanting to bash on her, in the interview I listened to it sounded like Knapp was trying to give her a chance to explain or clarify her result and data, which all she did was talk about how her equipment was all the latest generation of testing equipment and how carefully everyone was in collecting the samples......which is strange when you consider that most of the people who claimed to know how to collect sample.....rather indignantly, also talked about just using regular zip-lok bags for sample storage, collection and shipment. Sorry, wrong bags.

In this case he was Mr Nice Guy, and to be honest he probably isn't an expert on the entire process which sort of put him into the position of being the only guy to really give her a chance to talk. However, I rarely if ever hear any of the guys hold someone's feet to the fire and make them 'fess up.

Edited by KevinP
  • Like 1

I understand not wanting to bash on her, in the interview I listened to it sounded like Knapp was trying to give her a chance to explain or clarify her result and data, which all she did was talk about how her equipment was all the latest generation of testing equipment and how carefully everyone was in collecting the samples......which is strange when you consider that most of the people who claimed to know how to collect sample.....rather indignantly, also talked about just using regular zip-lok bags for sample storage, collection and shipment. Sorry, wrong bags.

In this case he was Mr Nice Guy, and to be honest he probably isn't an expert on the entire process which sort of put him into the position of being the only guy to really give her a chance to talk. However, I rarely if ever hear any of the guys hold someone's feet to the fire and make them 'fess up.

I'm talking about Ketchum's results and theories, but you're right about Knapp. He won't challenge her if she's merely sharing her methods. As far as hot feet, Noory's guests all need thermal socks because their cold paws aren't even close to a cooling ember, let alone a roaring fire. He won't challenge even the most over-the-top comments.

• Like 1

No, the show is the springboard for whatever you're into, they don't pay for interviews they allow people to talk about their new book or their new show or documentary or whatever. And yeah, the fringe types show up as well, but that is sort of the fan base. Can't start challenging them too much or you'll loose that fan base.

No, the show is the springboard for whatever you're into, they don't pay for interviews they allow people to talk about their new book or their new show or documentary or whatever. And yeah, the fringe types show up as well, but that is sort of the fan base. Can't start challenging them too much or you'll loose that fan base.

That's why Noory-hosted Coasts sound more like infomercials than conversations. I get your point about the subjects, though. The host needs to find a middle ground between credulity and cynicism. They can do that without taking all claims as gospel. Punnet has that skill. The other hosts, except Noory, seem to have their own ways of doing that too. Bell can do it with an inflection or a sound. It's like a wink to his listeners.

• Like 2

See now you're talking about the difference between styles in their radio personas, and that's just a function of them really and their own differences.

Of course, there is the obvious thing if they were very skeptical then they might well lose their audience base. If I want to watch people getting beat up on TV then I'll watch Nancy Grace. Good Heaven's, that woman beat up on an asian woman once so badly on TV that the woman wound up going home and committing suicide. Then two day later the police exonerated her as a suspect, Nancy's reaction? If she can't handle a tough interview she shouldn't have come on my show, I didn't do anything to her. Or words to that effect. Personally, I hope Nancy Grace dies slowly, painfully and tragically and I live to see it.

But that's another thing altogether.

C2C is a yawner without John B Wells or Art Bell. Knapp is ok. Noory sounds half asleep or disinterested and very fake

• Like 2

C2C is a yawner without John B Wells or Art Bell. Knapp is ok. Noory sounds half asleep or disinterested and very fake

Caravan to midnight is all the fun C2C isn't anymore. Coast has gone stale. All recycling old guests over and over like Dames and the numbers lady. I do wish he would do that show with ouija board though but he always chickens out on it. Which is a shame. Could have been fun and contrary to him I don't believe it will open a gate to hell. If it does I hope it sucks Noory in. LOL

• Like 1