Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How's Coast To Coast?

No Censorship

C2C is a yawner without John B Wells or Art Bell. Knapp is ok. Noory sounds half asleep or disinterested and very fake

It sounds like an infomercial when Noory hosts it. Of course, there's not much info in his 'mercial.

curious... for all of the claims of how much Noory sucks and he's loathed beyond compare and intolerable... he's got you all paying attention.

and yet Noory is doing what he loves and I imagine he's like....post-101621-0-87252100-1417324664_thumb.

curious... for all of the claims of how much Noory sucks and he's loathed beyond compare and intolerable... he's got you all paying attention.

and yet Noory is doing what he loves and I imagine he's like....post-101621-0-87252100-1417324664_thumb.

I never listen to him. In fact, I mute his commercials.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like an infomercial when Noory hosts it. Of course, there's not much info in his 'mercial.

I don't work nights anymore so I haven't listened in a while but I really quit listening not long after Noory started. Even when Bell was either bored with a guest or in non belief he still made the show interesting. He just had the right voice and energy for radio.

I do remember some years ago before Noory they had this female try out as it were. I liked her and I think a lot of others did also but she backed out on her own after a month or so. Going to her site to see what happened, even she said it was like she was presiding over an infomercial...her words...and they wouldn't let her ask what she wanted. That and 12 minutes of ads out of every half hour.

• Like 2

I've never really been able to stomach the live broadcast... those commercials are intolerable.

The only way to go for me, is to download the interesting topics.

• Like 1

I don't work nights anymore so I haven't listened in a while but I really quit listening not long after Noory started. Even when Bell was either bored with a guest or in non belief he still made the show interesting. He just had the right voice and energy for radio.

I do remember some years ago before Noory they had this female try out as it were. I liked her and I think a lot of others did also but she backed out on her own after a month or so. Going to her site to see what happened, even she said it was like she was presiding over an infomercial...her words...and they wouldn't let her ask what she wanted. That and 12 minutes of ads out of every half hour.

The first female host was before my time, although I heard Rollye (weird spelling) James when she hosted from time to time. She was very good at what she did. She once turned a sow's ear subject into a silk purse show, which was the reverse of what Noory almost always did. He routinely sabotaged the best calls and best tales, and he gave the floor to the worst ones.

• Like 1

I've never really been able to stomach the live broadcast... those commercials are intolerable.

The only way to go for me, is to download the interesting topics.

I think that they comprise more than half of the total show time now. Many of them sound like ads for snake oil.

• Like 1

I wish the UK had the equivalent of Coast to Coast AM.

Check out the "The Unexplained". It's a podcast hosted by Howard Hughes, who lives in the UK. He's a great host, and he strikes a good balance between naivety and skepticism. He covers a wide range of *classic* Coast subjects.

• Like 1

Haven't checked in on this thread in awhile, and haven't listened to C2C in *forever.*

Well, let me correct that. Very late New Year's Eve/early New Year's morning, I turned it on **JUST IN CASE** hell froze over, pigs were flying, and by some serendipity Ian was for some reason hosting the New Year's Eve prediction show. I used to love the format for that when Ian did it: one prediction only, keep it short, make it specific, make it something we can't all anticipate as inevitable....

So I click on to hear Snoory hosting, and first up it's some inebriated woman singing an off-key version of Auld Lang Syne. Should have clicked off then, because no, it's not just some drunk calling in that George is humoring at 3:15 a.m. No, no. It's a freaking Auld Lang Syne singing contest, which George tells us, conferring with some producer who isn't Tommy, they'll limit to FIVE A SEGMENT. Oh for criminy's sake!

But thank God for the limit, because next up is a prediction caller. And this guy has it spot on. Oh yeah. He predicts an assassination in 2015. Or maybe an assassination attempt. Or MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THAT. OR SOMETHING. Noory's satisfied. Okay, Producer, write that one down.

If Ian is listening, he's having conniption fits. Well, which is it buddy? An assassination or an attempt? On whom? (Actually, I think Ian disallowed assassination predictions altogether, but you get my point).

Okay, George, we'll check to see if SOMETHING happens in 2015. Check back with ya next New Year's Eve. But I'll probably be busy listening to an episode of Thinking Sideways podcast, which is what I did after Assassination Guy finished his prediction. Couldn't take another drunk version of Auld Lang Syne for George's contest, which he was using to clear (unread?) books off his shelves, as the prize each half hour was five books!

• Like 1

Haven't checked in on this thread in awhile, and haven't listened to C2C in *forever.*

Well, let me correct that. Very late New Year's Eve/early New Year's morning, I turned it on **JUST IN CASE** hell froze over, pigs were flying, and by some serendipity Ian was for some reason hosting the New Year's Eve prediction show. I used to love the format for that when Ian did it: one prediction only, keep it short, make it specific, make it something we can't all anticipate as inevitable....

So I click on to hear Snoory hosting, and first up it's some inebriated woman singing an off-key version of Auld Lang Syne. Should have clicked off then, because no, it's not just some drunk calling in that George is humoring at 3:15 a.m. No, no. It's a freaking Auld Lang Syne singing contest, which George tells us, conferring with some producer who isn't Tommy, they'll limit to FIVE A SEGMENT. Oh for criminy's sake!

But thank God for the limit, because next up is a prediction caller. And this guy has it spot on. Oh yeah. He predicts an assassination in 2015. Or maybe an assassination attempt. Or MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THAT. OR SOMETHING. Noory's satisfied. Okay, Producer, write that one down.

If Ian is listening, he's having conniption fits. Well, which is it buddy? An assassination or an attempt? On whom? (Actually, I think Ian disallowed assassination predictions altogether, but you get my point).

Okay, George, we'll check to see if SOMETHING happens in 2015. Check back with ya next New Year's Eve. But I'll probably be busy listening to an episode of Thinking Sideways podcast, which is what I did after Assassination Guy finished his prediction. Couldn't take another drunk version of Auld Lang Syne for George's contest, which he was using to clear (unread?) books off his shelves, as the prize each half hour was five books!

You beat me to it! :lol: We had the displeasure and misfortune of listening to the unprecedented debacle and unmitigated disaster that was the Coast to Coast New Year's Eve prediction show/ "Gong Show", which was an annihilation (of Biblical proportions) of Art Bell's annual beloved and popular tradition, a destruction so horrible and unpleasant that it honestly and truthfully can be called a "radio Hindenburg" or a "talk show Titanic". "Oh, the humanity!" We turned off the historical calamity before the fourth hour started.

Not content with exorcising the spooky spirit of Ghost to Ghost, Noory sees fit to strangling the New Year baby in his crib while, simultaneously, taking the euthanasia route by pulling the plug on Father Time before the whole world sees 2015. It seems as if he's intentionally destroying the remaining shards and shreds of the house that Art built, and I detected a definite hint of malignant glee in his voice when he introduced the "Auld Lang Syne" bit, as if he knew that listeners, with an ounce of discriminating taste, would hate it. He shot another bird at Art's fans by galloping through last year's predictions with all the cohesion of a sleepwalker dosed with LSD.

I'm sure that Ian Punnett or any other guest host, for that matter, would have sounded like Dick Clark at his 1990s New Year's Eve peak, in comparison to Noory. I should also mention that Art forbade any mention of political murders, and he said that some Secret Service(?) agents talked to him after such crimes were mentioned on a past program. The topic was taboo after that. It's just a shame that Noory didn't air any other taboos (racial slurs, slander, threats, etc.).

I'm like you in that we listened for the first time in ages. I love your analogy about flying pigs in frozen Hell, but there's even a greater chance of that than there is of Noory doing a good show, no matter how great the guests or subjects are. It's simply an impossibility at this point. I don't understand why his detractors still tune in when he hosts the show, and I'm excluding the MST3K justification.

• Like 1

You beat me to it! :lol: We had the displeasure and misfortune of listening to the unprecedented debacle and unmitigated disaster that was the Coast to Coast New Year's Eve prediction show/ "Gong Show", which was an annihilation (of Biblical proportions) of Art Bell's annual beloved and popular tradition, a destruction so horrible and unpleasant that it honestly and truthfully can be called a "radio Hindenburg" or a "talk show Titanic". "Oh, the humanity!" We turned off the historical calamity before the fourth hour started.

Not content with exorcising the spooky spirit of Ghost to Ghost, Noory sees fit to strangling the New Year baby in his crib while, simultaneously, taking the euthanasia route by pulling the plug on Father Time before the whole world sees 2015. It seems as if he's intentionally destroying the remaining shards and shreds of the house that Art built, and I detected a definite hint of malignant glee in his voice when he introduced the "Auld Lang Syne" bit, as if he knew that listeners, with an ounce of discriminating taste, would hate it. He shot another bird at Art's fans by galloping through last year's predictions with all the cohesion of a sleepwalker dosed with LSD.

I'm sure that Ian Punnett or any other guest host, for that matter, would have sounded like Dick Clark at his 1990s New Year's Eve peak, in comparison to Noory. I should also mention that Art forbade any mention of political murders, and he said that some Secret Service(?) agents talked to him after such crimes were mentioned on a past program. The topic was taboo after that. It's just a shame that Noory didn't air any other taboos (racial slurs, slander, threats, etc.).

I'm like you in that we listened for the first time in ages. I love your analogy about flying pigs in frozen Hell, but there's even a greater chance of that than there is of Noory doing a good show, no matter how great the guests or subjects are. It's simply an impossibility at this point. I don't understand why his detractors still tune in when he hosts the show, and I'm excluding the MST3K justification.

You're right! It was Art who originally disallowed any political assassination predictions and Ian continued that policy. (I don't think George had any policies except "Let me get through this show with as little thought as possible.)

What a great and fun tradition the New Year's Eve shows used to be. I say "shows" because my (potentially faulty) memory is it used to be a two night event, with plenty of time to hear listener predictions for the upcoming year and to review the previous year's entries. Both Ian and Art would always spend time *before* the show going through the previous year's list and (novel concept for George) actually researching any entries that might need to be verified for a yes/no classification, just in case there had indeed been a small earthquake in the Maldives that had escaped Americans' attention.

I didn't realize till I looked at the website that Snoory turned the prediction/Auld Lang Syne contest into a pitiful two-hour segment and gave the first two hours over to Robert Young Pelton. I've heard Pelton before with Knapp, I believe, and he's not a bad guest, but why a news round up for two hours on C2C? We can get plenty of that on cable and network TV, and while the website writeup says Pelton "foresees" this and that for 2015, it's not like he's a psychic/prognosticator, just another talking head giving an opinion about where the world is headed. Fine for some other night, perhaps, but seriously, George, that's not what had legions of loyal Coast fans tuning in to hear on New Year's Eve after their own festivities.

That brings me to a tangential point about all holidays and George, the Humble Humanitarian. I absolutely HATE the way he would go on and on about other hosts taking off on holidays, playing taped repeats of shows, but not George. Nope, George knows how many LONELY, PATHETIC LOSERS are all by themselves on holidays, and by gum, if George has to sacrifice his own rich social/family life to be there for them, he'll do it. He'll promise those pathetic losers a LIVE holiday show so he can be their family.

Sheesh. If that's a motivation for doing live shows on holidays he wants to discuss with Prem Rat, producers, and staff, go for it. But is he so tone deaf that he doesn't realize he's insulting a segment of his audience, likely making them feel more pathetically alone than they might otherwise?

I just went searching for a quote in my files and realized Ian last hosted the NYE Predictions shows in December 2012. How far Coast has fallen in only two years! The quote I wanted to find was one Ian always used to close his New Year's show, one he said his father had passed on to him as a young man and one I always found comforting at the start of a New Year, especially if the year ending had had its share of challenges. The last time I heard Ian read this, my mother was in hospice care, and Ian will never know how far his words reached that night:

And I said to the one who stood at the gate of the year, 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the Unknown.'

And he replied, 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.'

But now we have George. Have you tried out Generation Why or Thinking Sideways podcasts? Neither is perfect, but both are worth trying. And of course there's Dave on Darkness Radio. Anything, even silence, is better than Coast at this point. So sad.

Dumb question: what's MST3K?

Edited by 2-B
  • Like 2

I was a Coast to Coast insider and I mainly listened to it while I was at work. But I cancelled my membership because their website/app made it really hard to find old episodes which are the ones I liked. I hate all the newer stuff, it just keeps becoming more and more strange. :no:

• Like 2

You're right! It was Art who originally disallowed any political assassination predictions and Ian continued that policy. (I don't think George had any policies except "Let me get through this show with as little thought as possible.)

What a great and fun tradition the New Year's Eve shows used to be. I say "shows" because my (potentially faulty) memory is it used to be a two night event, with plenty of time to hear listener predictions for the upcoming year and to review the previous year's entries. Both Ian and Art would always spend time *before* the show going through the previous year's list and (novel concept for George) actually researching any entries that might need to be verified for a yes/no classification, just in case there had indeed been a small earthquake in the Maldives that had escaped Americans' attention.

I didn't realize till I looked at the website that Snoory turned the prediction/Auld Lang Syne contest into a pitiful two-hour segment and gave the first two hours over to Robert Young Pelton. I've heard Pelton before with Knapp, I believe, and he's not a bad guest, but why a news round up for two hours on C2C? We can get plenty of that on cable and network TV, and while the website writeup says Pelton "foresees" this and that for 2015, it's not like he's a psychic/prognosticator, just another talking head giving an opinion about where the world is headed. Fine for some other night, perhaps, but seriously, George, that's not what had legions of loyal Coast fans tuning in to hear on New Year's Eve after their own festivities.

That brings me to a tangential point about all holidays and George, the Humble Humanitarian. I absolutely HATE the way he would go on and on about other hosts taking off on holidays, playing taped repeats of shows, but not George. Nope, George knows how many LONELY, PATHETIC LOSERS are all by themselves on holidays, and by gum, if George has to sacrifice his own rich social/family life to be there for them, he'll do it. He'll promise those pathetic losers a LIVE holiday show so he can be their family.

Sheesh. If that's a motivation for doing live shows on holidays he wants to discuss with Prem Rat, producers, and staff, go for it. But is he so tone deaf that he doesn't realize he's insulting a segment of his audience, likely making them feel more pathetically alone than they might otherwise?

I just went searching for a quote in my files and realized Ian last hosted the NYE Predictions shows in December 2012. How far Coast has fallen in only two years! The quote I wanted to find was one Ian always used to close his New Year's show, one he said his father had passed on to him as a young man and one I always found comforting at the start of a New Year, especially if the year ending had had its share of challenges. The last time I heard Ian read this, my mother was in hospice care, and Ian will never know how far his words reached that night:

And I said to the one who stood at the gate of the year, 'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the Unknown.'

And he replied, 'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.'

But now we have George. Have you tried out Generation Why or Thinking Sideways podcasts? Neither is perfect, but both are worth trying. And of course there's Dave on Darkness Radio. Anything, even silence, is better than Coast at this point. So sad.

Dumb question: what's MST3K?

First, I empathize with you, and I resonate with the quote. I went through the same circumstances with my parents in the distant past and the recent past. Some of Ian's quirks bugged me at times, but I always liked him as a host, as well as a person. He was a genuinely (key word) caring, compassionate guy.

Second, "MST3K" is an abbreviation of "Mystery Science Theatre 3000". It's a relatively old show on which the host and sci-fi puppet sidekicks made snarky comments during bad and/or cheap B movies, many of which were first shown as parts of double features at drive-ins. People sometimes follow this model when they listen to Noory-hosted shows. I get that, but I can't even listen to it to joke about it now.

Third, I remember the same thing that you do. Art did two nights of predictions, and one night was devoted to "bonks" and "dings". It was much more organized than this year's "let's just wing it" travesty. I read that, before I even listened to Art, he dedicated a whole *week* to the subject. Next year, Noory might devote ten minutes to it.

Lastly, I think that Noory also had OT segments during his version of the Ghost-To-Ghost program. He talked with two OT guests last night, and he'll talk with a weight-loss expert tonight! It's as if "Good Morning America" and "Today" don't even exist. The "new direction" of Coast might be what it takes to finally lose the few remaining listeners who can overlook the comatose George.

I was a Coast to Coast insider and I mainly listened to it while I was at work. But I cancelled my membership because their website/app made it really hard to find old episodes which are the ones I liked. I hate all the newer stuff, it just keeps becoming more and more strange. :no:

It just keeps becoming more and more dull too. Like we don't have enough outlets for economic subjects, political topics, entertainment gossip, etc. I also can't stand the stuff like "Psychic Jill's New Age Plan For A Better You In The Coming Year". By the way, you might be able to find older programs on You Tube, torrent sites, Bell Gab threads, etc.

• Like 2

It just keeps becoming more and more dull too. Like we don't have enough outlets for economic subjects, political topics, entertainment gossip, etc. I also can't stand the stuff like "Psychic Jill's New Age Plan For A Better You In The Coming Year". By the way, you might be able to find older programs on You Tube, torrent sites, Bell Gab threads, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to do that. Any suggestions on topics that were good that I should focus in on?

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to do that. Any suggestions on topics that were good that I should focus in on?

You're welcome. It's hard to recommend shows since I don't know what you like. Dolan is great on UFO-related subjects, Coleman is great on cryptozoology, Taff is great on ghosts, Tart is great on psychic phenomena, Hancock is great on ancient wonders, and Marrs is great on conspiracy theories. Moody and Taylor are my go-to guests on NDEs and OBEs, respectively. As for melodrama, Art Bell's shows with Harlot the Witch (likely bogus), as well as Malachi Martin, are very intriguing.

• Like 1

You're welcome. It's hard to recommend shows since I don't know what you like. Dolan is great on UFO-related subjects, Coleman is great on cryptozoology, Taff is great on ghosts, Tart is great on psychic phenomena, Hancock is great on ancient wonders, and Marrs is great on conspiracy theories. Moody and Taylor are my go-to guests on NDEs and OBEs, respectively. As for melodrama, Art Bell's shows with Harlot the Witch (likely bogus), as well as Malachi Martin, are very intriguing.

I like a little bit of everything, so what you just gave me is perfect. Thank you. :tu:

I like a little bit of everything, so what you just gave me is perfect. Thank you. :tu:

No problem. Here's another hint and suggestion. Bill Bean told one of the few ghost stories that ever scared me. It likely was the only time that I felt frightened while I listened to Coast.

• Like 1

I need to mention something before you check out the shows. I'm talking about *Jim* Marrs, not *Texe* Marrs! Texe blames it all on Jews and Satanists. He makes David Icke sound reasonable by comparison.

• Like 1

No problem. Here's another hint and suggestion. Bill Bean told one of the few ghost stories that ever scared me. It likely was the only time that I felt frightened while I listened to Coast.

Oooh, i'm going to try and find it tomorrow when i'm at work! I sit at a desk all day and can listen to whatever I want in my headphones, hence my reasoning for wanting to go through C2C archives.

I need to mention something before you check out the shows. I'm talking about *Jim* Marrs, not *Texe* Marrs! Texe blames it all on Jews and Satanists. He makes David Icke sound reasonable by comparison.

I think I have heard Marrs pieces before, has he ever covered JFK?

• Like 1

Oooh, i'm going to try and find it tomorrow when i'm at work! I sit at a desk all day and can listen to whatever I want in my headphones, hence my reasoning for wanting to go through C2C archives.

I think I have heard Marrs pieces before, has he ever covered JFK?

Jim Marrs wrote the book on which the Stone movie was based. He forgot more about it than I learned.

• Like 1

Jim Marrs wrote the book on which the Stone movie was based. He forgot more about it than I learned.

Yes!!! I have heard one of his interviews before, he seems really well informed. I am so excited to look all of this up tomorrow. But if I can't sleep because of the ghost story, i'm blaming you!

• Like 1

Yes!!! I have heard one of his interviews before, he seems really well informed. I am so excited to look all of this up tomorrow. But if I can't sleep because of the ghost story, i'm blaming you!

Well, it might be fake. You never know with a lot of these ghost stories.

• Like 1

Well, it might be fake. You never know with a lot of these ghost stories.

I'll tell myself that if it's really bad. Expect a PM from me tomorrow though!

• Like 1