Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Record in Drag Racing

twpdyp

On 10/3/04 John Force from Yorba Linda California broke the standing funny car e.t. and speed records at an event in Joliet Illinois.

4.665 seconds

333.58 Miles/per/Hour

http://nhra.com/2004/gallery/fc/John_Force.jpg

I found this info on the NHRA web site and found it to be fasinating, imagine going from 0 to 333.58 miles/per/hour is 4.665 seconds. That is awsome, at least to me it is.....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twpdyp

• Putte

• Unpro

• Alfaman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is amazing. Whoever drove that car had guts.

* One Top Fuel Dragster 500 inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first four rows (eight cars) at the Daytona 500

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 ½ gallons of nitromethane per second. A fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine does not make enough power to turn the dragster’s supercharger

* With 3000 cfm of air being rammed in by the overdriven supercharger, the fuel mixture is compressed in to a nearly solid form before ignition

* Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane, the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, disassociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gasses

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After ½ way, the engine is dieseling from compression, rather than firing on the ignition, aided by the red-hot glow of the exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down at this point by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4 g’s.

* In order to reach 200 mph well before half track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 g’s.

* Dragsters reach 300 mph before you can finish reading this sentence

* Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from start to finish line

* Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load

* The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm.

* The Bottom Line: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated US $1,000 per second.

* The current Top Fuel elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03 Tony Schumacher)

* The top speed record is 333.00 mph as measured over the last 66 feet of the run. (9/28/03 Doug Kallita)

* Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo Z06 Corvette. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down the quarter mile as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the ‘Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The tree goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him

* Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That folks, is acceleration.

[EDIT: Records shown are not current}

Edited by f8jon360

laugh.gif That folks, sounds like a broken neck.

Kidding...that's awesome.

f8jon360

Very interesting and all true. I am a very big drag racing fan and find the technology very fascinating in the top fuel and funny car ranks.

Wow, that would have been so cool! Thats a great achievement!

f8jon360, that's some great info. Stuns me blink.gif

The performance and technology in this kind of cars is awesome. I wonder when they'll do it under 3 seconds whistling2.gif

Not sure about under 3 secinds but they are quickly heading for a sub 4 second run and getting close to 350mph.

I cannot begin to comprehend what it would feel like to unleash approx. 7000 horse power. I remember when the record got below 7 seconds, the race fans all saying they can't go any faster. I live near Atlanta Dragway, Commerce Ga. But as big a fan as I am I have never went and seen these awsome cars run in person. I am hoping to go this coming season.

• 6 months later...

I know this isn't a drag racer but check out the picture, it's hrust SSC going through the sound barrier.

The 4 lines above the car are the sound waves distorting the image of the hills in the background.

Just to remind you it averaged 763.055 mph over two, one mile runs, which it covered in about 4.7 seconds.

post-18085-1119349383_thumb.jpg

Awsome picture Alfaman. 763.005 mph is an incredible acheivment. I am throughly fasinated by this type of technology. F1 race cars, American Stock cars(NASCAR), NHRA Drag Racing, ETC, ETC. If it has wheels and some form of engine I want to see it race another of its kind.

My car does 0 to 60mph in slightly more than 13 seconds!! Take that!!

0 to 100 mph on about a minute

and 0 to 160mph.. well, it does not go that fast, sorry..

ha..ha.. grin2.gif

Unpro Posted Today, 08:07 PM

My car does 0 to 60mph in slightly more than 13 seconds!! Take that!!

0 to 100 mph on about a minute

and 0 to 160mph.. well, it does not go that fast, sorry..

ha..ha..

Your the one that bought my old car, those are the exact same acceleration specs that my old car had, LOL. My current car is a touch better, 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis with approx 205,000 miles on it, wife has the nice car, go figure!!

That thing has some power.. the things not even like super airodinamic.. it has so many lumps on it and stuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/04 John Force from Yorba Linda California broke the standing funny car e.t. and speed records at an event in Joliet Illinois.

4.665 seconds

333.58 Miles/per/Hour

http://nhra.com/2004/gallery/fc/John_Force.jpg

I found this info on the NHRA web site and found it to be fasinating, imagine going from 0 to 333.58 miles/per/hour is 4.665 seconds. That is awsome, at least to me it is.....

347110[/snapback]

That's way old news. The car is a tube chasis top fuel dragster. John Force is sponsored by Castrol and so is his team mate Tony.

Edited by NME_locus

That's way old news.

715607[/snapback]

You do realise that you, yourself, replied to a post from November?

• 6 months later...

The type in red is new records since my last post, quarter mile in under 4.5 seconds and speeds at the end of a quarter mile in excess of 336mph is just damn awesome.

Quarter-Mile Record Holders

Updated 12/01/2005 Professional Categories

Class E.T. Speed Date Driver/Car Location

TF 4.437 10/01/05 Tony Schumacher - Long Grove, IL

'04 R.E.D. Hadman Joliet, IL

TF 336.15 05/25/05 Tony Schumacher - Long Grove, IL

'05 Hadman R.E.D Hebron, OH

FC 4.665 333.58 10/03/04 John Force - Yorba Linda, CA

'04 Ford Joliet, IL

PS 6.633 208.23 03/19/05 Greg Anderson - Concord, NC

'05 Pont Grand Am Gainesville, FL

PSM 6.968 07/30/05 Andrew Hines - Brownsburg, IN