Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI: 'we'll find alien life within 20 years'

Dan Werthimer and Seth Shostak presented their latest findings this week at a House Committee hearing.

With money an ongoing issue for the SETI Institute, the two astronomers made the case for further investment in the hunt for extraterrestrial intelligence and emphasized that with enough funding it may be possible to find the first signs of alien life within just two decades.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...within-20-years

no you wont SETI, ET do not exist

This is getting old. I think it's been at least 10 years since I first heard this.

Edited by switchopens

no you wont SETI, ET do not exist

This statement is illogical by math and missing proof but it fits some religious beliefs so its illogical in ternary at least.

• Like 2

The numbers certainly support the notion of the existence of life elsewhere in the Universe. Stating that we will find it within 20 years seems a bit optimistic. I suspect the lack of funding for SETI is prompting Shostak to do a little marketing. His 20 year prediction may well just be a way to encourage donations If true, it is not at all a bad thing, just a little risky on his part.

• Like 2

SETI: "Please give us some money"

I support the idea of searching for extraterrestrial life but I find these kind of declarations very suspicious.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 4

is pretty naive to think there is no other life forms out there, shame money is the most important thing really, the amount spent on wars could cover the costs to try and find them. 20 years? yep, sure is risky cos he will need another top up if he has not found anything. 20 years sounds a long time, but its nothing really when space is concerned. I can not donate, but wish them well.

• Like 2

Were all in this just for the money, Its how we feed,cloth,put a roof over our heads. Its sad that some people just cant understand that Life is out there, and the only question ,is whne we get to know ?

• Like 2

I was always wondering why SETI does not get the needed money from the standard research funds. Compared to other expenses

financed out of the public box the budget required by SETI is quite low. And to keep it in mind again, the SETI research project is

giving the option for one of the biggest discovery in human history ever, if not the biggest one ever.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

They already know that they exist. This is just smoke and mirrors by leaking it out slowly to the masses.

Baby steps, so it doesn't turn the church and their die hard followers and believers up side down on their proverbial heads. Many, many people are aware and suspect that they exist...and many, many people are still in denial and will possibly remain so.

They already know that they exist. This is just smoke and mirrors by leaking it out slowly to the masses.

Baby steps, so it doesn't turn the church and their die hard followers and believers up side down on their proverbial heads. Many, many people are aware and suspect that they exist...and many, many people are still in denial and will possibly remain so.

Stating something as fact without evidence is irrational. Characterizing the lack of evidence as denial is delusional. Is that really the message you want to send?

• Like 3

Stating something as fact without evidence is irrational. Characterizing the lack of evidence as denial is delusional. Is that really the message you want to send?

I'm entitled to my opinion sinewave....as much as you are entitled to yours. This is part of MY belief....and that's all to it.
  • Like 1

I don't see how going before a House Committee to explain why your project needs money is akin to greed. These scientists probably really believe in their mission, so they are being as optimistic as they need to be in order to keep it going.

Unfortunately, that is the way things are done in our country.

I applaud their efforts, and am glad to think a part of my money (via taxes) goes to help fund such important endevours.

I'd much rather have it spend there than on the NSA's spy on everyone program.

• Like 2

I'm entitled to my opinion sinewave....as much as you are entitled to yours. This is part of MY belief....and that's all to it.

Right, it is a belief. You stated it as fact.

Edited by sinewave

Right, it is a belief. You stated it as fact.

That's correct....a fact that I believe in. If you have a problem with that.....well, I'm sorry...but it's your problem...not mine.
  • Like 2

I don't see how going before a House Committee to explain why your project needs money is akin to greed. These scientists probably really believe in their mission, so they are being as optimistic as they need to be in order to keep it going.

Unfortunately, that is the way things are done in our country.

I applaud their efforts, and am glad to think a part of my money (via taxes) goes to help fund such important endevours.

I'd much rather have it spend there than on the NSA's spy on everyone program.

SETI operates on private donations not public funds. There are specific cases where NASA funds have been used for certain projects but the scope is very narrow.

I've had an interest in ufos since the 70s and people were saying that governments know they exist and are slowly releasing the fact to the public back then.Another popular one was disclosure is coming soon.I think personally nobody has proof that ET exist, least of all the ufologists

• Like 1

I've had an interest in ufos since the 70s and people were saying that governments know they exist and are slowly releasing the fact to the public back then.Another popular one was disclosure is coming soon.I think personally nobody has proof that ET exist, least of all the ufologists

Exactly, and for it to be true, the real information would have to have been passed from administration to administration without a leak for over 60 years. That does not seem likely.

• Like 2

I think it's great they're searching. But I think 20 years is optimistic at best.

The search is active. Maybe they have been found at the same time you wrote your post.

• Like 1

I think it's great they're searching. But I think 20 years is optimistic at best.

I still don't understand where this "twenty years" comes from. It reminds me of those documentaries from the 70's that proclaimed we would have a man on Mars by the distant year 2000 because.. well, because it only took us ten years to get the Moon, and Mars is just a little further away so of course another thirty years will be more than enough time to get there!

Yes, I'm aware of all of that. I guess there will always be the believers and the non believers. We could debate it until we all turn blue in the face.

But I'm standing by my belief that they are out there. It would take 100% proof, to prove to me, without a doubt that they don't exist.

Yes, I'm aware of all of that. I guess there will always be the believers and the non believers. We could debate it until we all turn blue in the face.

But I'm standing by my belief that they are out there. It would take 100% proof, to prove to me, without a doubt that they don't exist.

Seeing as no one can prove a negative, your belief is safe. If you are really interested in proof, how did you adopt this belief in the first place?