Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Altered States of Consciousness

Alan McDougall

I hope this is of interest, I am new to the forum and would like to see how my experiences are accepted by the other members

Alan

Altered states of Consciousness (Not drug induced!)

While in an altered state of consciousness I had revelations about how poorly we understood our bodies or what a great, potential, extremely precise instrument of amazing sensitivity it could become, if we really learned how to utilize it to its full power, as the great gift it is from the Divine, who put our souls in this body in this transient vehicle, for us to occupy, in the brief time we get to exist as mortal beings on planet earth. Our brains are as far as we know, are the most complex material thing in the physical universe, but in reality we should include in that statement that the whole human body is the most complex material living entity, because in reality it should be thought of as one great unit, a composite entity of interconnected, integrated, communicating aware living cells.

Our bodies the total of the brain/mind/ body/soul and spirit is in reality our composite greater being, which consists of our physical parts and our infinite eternal soul and spirit. Our human bodies were created by God for us to use as one composite entity as one amazing instrument of interconnected cells, that constantly communicate with each other by countless means, in various ways, from different sources, both from the outside physical world around us, and from the inner world that makes up our unique awareness's in order to maintain its balance as one harmonious whole.

The body is really an instrument of untapped and potentially, unimaginable sensitivity and precision. However, to achieve the advanced state of continual heighten awareness with our bodies, as was the intention of its creator and maker, namely God, we must learn how this truly amazing biological machine could be used, if it were brought together by the brain as one combined thinking aware entity.

Our bodies are similar in some ways to an insect swarm , but instead of thousand little separate entities/insects, our bodies are a composite biological machine of closely connected and integrated cells, each one be they in the brain or within the body has its own particular purpose and function that contribute to the unity of entire single entity that we humans live, breath and sustain our being all the days of our mortal lives on planet earth.

During the altered state of consciousness, I became aware of the fact that my entire physical body was one great thinking mind and began to really utilize all of its senses, instead of just those that originated from the brains neurons, connections and synapses. In this state of amplified awareness I became aware of a much greater intensity and vibrancy of colors, some unlike those I had ever noticed before, that were beautiful never normally observed.

My entire body became like one great eye perceiving with all its cells you like. Everything, began to blaze with high definition dimensions of, colors dazzling and beautiful. While looking out at my normal average garden, I saw in the heightened state awareness, that all the flowers had begun to shimmer, glisten, sparkle, gleam with living light of a beautiful million hues and shades, and that all things living or even the inorganic, had unique harmonious , melodious and very pleasant musical vibrations, in reality every object in creation is constantly broadcasting the music and songs of the universe, like one great eternal symphony, the masterpiece of Gods creation.

By this time I knew that I had gone around most of my life partially deaf , blind the true beauty and reality that surrounded me and that I had perceived but a tiny portion of the real world around me, just enough to get by but nothing more , to exist in what we call called normal life. Because our ears are constantly battered by noises for which they were not designed, most of the beauty of sound is missed by us While in deep meditation I experimented in the quite of a peaceful night letting the peaceful velvet dark cover me in the dark night, I began to learn to hear sounds which were like the singing of a trillion voices, from some distant source, joined together quietly, in strange plaintive songs, within what might have been a heavenly host.

Everything vibrated at its own particular frequency one could see that music had colors , that sounds had fragrance, that touch had sound, that music had taste and touch. The whole body as one entity, absorbed and absorbed the exhilarating vibrations of life, much more vivid, more intensely more, protracted and profound than the normal grey by comparison our dim world normally perceived around us, dim perception evolved into a blazing wonder of the beauty total reality, we hardly ever see during our life times.

It was during these moments, that I came to realize that I had never come even remotely aware and knowing of what a truly almost infinite precise instrument a human's whole body really was. It is not only the brain that perceives reality, it each cell is individual aware part of my body. Our bodies should be utilized like one composite entity. Then even in this material realm of ours we can make a heaven on earth albeit, momentarily.

In this heightened state of awareness it is possible to see everything in the minutest detail, things that were in the past simply overlooked or just shrugged off as an unimportant where now messages and information of which we are unaware of in a normal state of consciousness. Who knows it might be possible to plug into the universe at large while like this and join the stars with the song of creation.

If we were to learned how to utilize the amazing precise sensory organ that is our entire body it would be possible, this state of awareness, to stand still and hear the chirp of a billion birds which are as quantum particles flashing in the mind of God. They sing the song of existence and creation and we are deaf to their beautiful song and its real meaning.

Learning to use the whole body, as one great sensory instrument, one could perceive things that normally go completely unnoticed. Looking carefully with all our combined bodily senses it is possible to read the messages from the things in the world at large and out far into the greater cosmos at large.

Perception of things as minute as a vibrating electron, or the great hiss of the expanding universe, glimpses of the past, present and future, come into the realms of possibility.

If we tried to observe with great care, using all our senses we would see everything, taste, smell, feel, hear, breathe, and see as well as our better all use our innate psychic intuitive abilities.

Objects like a rock or brick vibrated with images and sounds if we would only put our hands on them and patiently wait. Everything around one contains information or memories if you like.

Then almost nothing would overtake us as a complete surprise as we become one with all existence and hear the song of creation all around usual the time.

Plants radiated outward in a different manner to those of animal life they are more like a huge being encompassing the entire planet earth. Insects had tiny points of awareness's and a swarm could radiate as much thought energy as a single human or more

There were times when I had to retreat in shock and horror from the dark bleak rage and hate that spewed out of the minds of depraved entities, some alien, some human and some demonic, that sometimes entered my mind. It is a protracted learning process to filter them out the bad and evil and to accept and embrace all that is beautiful and loving about our beautiful blue water planet

What is out in our unimaginable universe and could be a sort of interconnected Super-mind, something like a sentient living internet embracing the galaxy, or even the entire universe, this is an exciting idea, because it would lead to instant communication across the boundless vastness of the cosmos, instead of the snail pace of the light speed barrier .

In the most heightened state of interconnected awareness of the body, mind, soul, spirit, which is really our true selves of total memories, would finally be able to truly merge with the Super- Consciousness, and expand with it to embrace the total cosmos, in such unimaginable exhilaration that the finite mind or self would embrace all of existence.

Then might we not see and understand everything, just like God does, albeit for just one tiny glorious infinitesimal tiny moment, of course we will always reverted back to self and retained our own unique identities, because we are not God, but his creation and his children if we love him, respect him and avoid as far as possible to act out evil or keep depravity from our minds?.

Love is the only Infinite Inexhaustible source of power, use it wisely and you could search the universe.

Best Regards Alan

• Like 5

What is out in our unimaginable universe and could be a sort of interconnected Super-mind...

Hello Alan. Nice post.

I'd like to address the concept of a "cosmic, interconnected super-mind".

To grant that concept validity, we have to accept mind is a field phenomenon - but is it? Mind is undoubtedly a consequence of a central nervous system (not necessarily just a brain) and is 'powered', if that term is used a bit loosely, by chemical-electrical reactions happening within the biological body.

However, no measurement of any 'field of mind' has ever been validated scientifically. Yes, our bodies generate a very weak electrical field, but that is not 'mind'. Given this lack of support for a 'mind field effect' we have to conclude mind is an isolated local, not field, phenomenon. Being local and isolated, mind cannot be 'connected' to another mind - at least, not in the sense to generate a 'super-mind' the likes of which you suggest.

You gave a very enjoyable, lush expression of what has driven me to many different forms of bodily exercise, from short periods of martial arts to pure bodily performance training to tai chi to animalistic exercises like sneaking, balancing & creative "honest" sincere moves. Our body-mind connection doesn't merely exist, they are not merely closely tied together, they work as one.

Bodily exercise cannot replace the faintly-vibrating strength of sensitivity however, the strength of awaking awareness. I dont think any form of art has a reserved right to it as we're beings of nature. To find it through different arts though is interesting, as we learn to look and discover the same awareness through going different ways about it.

Everything is a cycle. It will not be cut, just transcended.

Hello Alan. Nice post.

To grant that concept validity, we have to accept mind is a field phenomenon - but is it? Mind is undoubtedly a consequence of a central nervous system (not necessarily just a brain) and is 'powered', if that term is used a bit loosely, by chemical-electrical reactions happening within the biological body.

However, no measurement of any 'field of mind' has ever been validated scientifically. Yes, our bodies generate a very weak electrical field, but that is not 'mind'. Given this lack of support for a 'mind field effect' we have to conclude mind is an isolated local, not field, phenomenon. Being local and isolated, mind cannot be 'connected' to another mind - at least, not in the sense to generate a 'super-mind' the likes of which you suggest.

Thanks, the mind is not a weak electric field located near the physical brain, it is much more fundamental than that and reached out to the far ends of the universe, I base it somewhat on plsma experiment of David Bohm as reflected in the folowwing paragraphs

Quantum non-locality tells us that fundamental particles can and do exist in more than one place at one moment in time. Double Split experiments have proved this as a fact Quantum entanglement also might account for cosmic interconnectedness, leading to a conscious super mind like I proposed

Physicist David Bohm, in his plasma experiments, at the Berkeley Radiation Laboratory, Bohm found that individual electrons act as part of an interconnected whole. In plasma, the gaseous electrons more or less assume the nature of a self-regulating organism, as if they were inherently intelligent.

This scientific discovery of Non-Locality, the wave/particle duality, meant that everything is joined or connected together. Space and time is composed of the same essence as matter. Bohm found this to be a conscious atomic sea and extending out from this sub-atomic reality, all of material creation may also be said to be conscious. Since all matter and events interact with each other, time (past, present, future) along with space and distance, all is relative to the observer and operate as one under the law of Non-Locality.

"A principle related to nonlocality is called Bell's Theorem. This is a quantum physics law that says that once connected, objects affect one another forever no matter where they are. Following the principle of Bell's Theorem...an invisible stream of energy will always connect any two objects that have been connected in any way in the past."

I base my 'Superconsciousness on the above statement. I am not suggesting this superconsciousness, is God or a type of god!

Edited by Alan McDougall
  • Like 1

Quantum non-locality tells us that fundamental particles can and do exist in more than one place at one moment in time. Double Split experiments have proved this as a fact Quantum entanglement also might account for cosmic interconnectedness, leading to a conscious super mind like I proposed.

The double slit experiment only tells us about uncertainty - that we cannot be certain of where the photon is. It does not tell us about non-locality as we cannot rule out the interaction of the photon with the experiment as being the 'cause' of the interference, rather than assume the photon "interferes with itself".

Physicist David Bohm, in his plasma experiments, at the Berkeley Radiation Laboratory, Bohm found that individual electrons act as part of an interconnected whole. In plasma, the gaseous electrons more or less assume the nature of a self-regulating organism, as if they were inherently intelligent.

Yes, quite - when contained within an area (such as by a magnetic field) outside of which there is no interaction. This does not lend itself to any interpretation of a "cosmic interconnected whole" unless we are to postulate a "cosmic containment field" similar to the magnetic field used to contain a plasma. Such a thing has not been discovered and so cannot be included into any interpretation of Bohm's experiments.

I base my 'Superconsciousness on the above statement. I am not suggesting this superconsciousness, is God or a type of god!

I wasn't suggesting you were. My apologies if I gave that impression.

Hello Alan. Nice post.

To grant that concept validity, we have to accept mind is a field phenomenon - but is it? Mind is undoubtedly a consequence of a central nervous system (not necessarily just a brain) and is 'powered',

However, no measurement of any 'field of mind' has ever been validated scientifically.

Mind body duality is still hotly debated Leo, I would challenge you to present evidence that doesnt support its null.

Filds are only detected by the instruments and materials they interact with. In the case of a mental or consciousness field that would only be a consciousnes mind. Which of course has been marginalized as an instrument. Quantum fields are not detected either. They emerge from mathematics.

There are things out there that show the mind is not purely local either. Just for starters.

http://www.wired.com/2010/11/feeling-the-future-is-precognition-possible/

Edited by White Crane Feather

Mind body duality is still hotly debated Leo, I would challenge you to present evidence that doesnt support its null.

Filds are only detected by the instruments and materials they interact with. In the case of a mental or consciousness field that would only be a consciousnes mind. Which of course has been marginalized as an instrument. Quantum fields are not detected either. They emerge from mathematics.

There are things out there that show the mind is not purely local either. Just for starters.

http://www.wired.com...ition-possible/

We seem to be on the same page, also just because science has not detected a phenomenon does not mean it does not exist.

In response to Leonardoes comment on he Double Split comment below

Leonrado quoted

The double slit experiment only tells us about uncertainty - that we cannot be certain of where the photon is. It does not tell us about non-locality as we cannot rule out the interaction of the photon with the experiment as being the 'cause' of the interference, rather than assume the photon "interferes with itself".

You are correct! I muddled that one up a more than a little, but I have a good understanding of physics.

I should have mentioned that experiments have proved that the spin of one split quantum particle changes the instant you alter spin of its ,regardless of the distance between them. Albert Einstein disliked this idea intensely and called it "Spooky action" if you recall?

My point being, if it is true that fundamental particles are able to interact and interfere with one another instantaneously regardless of how far they are separated from each other, why cant we do the same, because after all we are also made out of fundamental building blocks of the universe?

Edited by Alan McDougall
  • Like 2

http://www.wired.com...ition-possible/

We seem to be on the same page, also just because science has not detected a phenomenon does not mean it does not exist.

If science doesn't recognise something, then we cannot use science to describe it. You are entitled to believe what you will, but that does not make it scientifically valid.

You are correct! I muddled that one up a more than a little, but I have a good understanding of physics.

I should have mentioned that experiments have proved that the spin of one split quantum particle changes the instant you alter spin of its ,regardless of the distance between them. Albert Einstein disliked this idea intensely and called it "Spooky action" if you recall?

My point being, if it is true that fundamental particles are able to interact and interfere with one another instantaneously regardless of how far they are separated from each other, why cant we do the same, because after all we are also made out of fundamental building blocks of the universe?

Entanglement is a strange phenomenon indeed, but it doesn't appear to 'just happen' but requires an energetic reaction between the two particles being entangled. Also, entanglement is not known to produce the effect you refer to (that being, a state of consciousness) as consciousness is not known to be a quantum phenomenon, despite a popular belief it might be. Experimental evidence seems to suggest it is a classical phenomenon.

Edited by Leonardo

Science dosnt recognize anything . People do. You speak as if there is some scientific judge out thee with a gavel. There is not.

• Like 1

Science dosnt recognize anything . People do. You speak as if there is some scientific judge out thee with a gavel. There is not.

I am using the word to encompass the base of knowledge, the disciplines of study involved, and those who practice those disciplines to build on that base of knowledge. If you are not referencing that base of knowledge, or utilising the disciplines of science to build on that base of knowledge, then you are not 'doing science'. And speculating unscientifically on something that is not in that base of knowledge is included in that.

I am using the word to encompass the base of knowledge, the disciplines of study involved, and those who practice those disciplines to build on that base of knowledge. If you are not referencing that base of knowledge, or utilising the disciplines of science to build on that base of knowledge, then you are not 'doing science'. And speculating unscientifically on something that is not in that base of knowledge is included in that.

So what's the problem with using field concepts to explain consciousness? Especially when no doubt the particles and interactions of a physical brain no doubt interact and are apart of fields themselves. People are always talking about electrical activity in the brain as being the seat of consciousness. Even if this is true ( though there is evidemce thatt its not) dosnt this operate within a field also?

As has been shown many times qualia is a phenomenon that is not well understood, and is hotly debated. To make positive statements that some scientific gavel pound has been leveled on the mind body duality problem is simply untrue.

I'm not jumping on the entanglement boat. I know enough about it to not suggest it as a mode of a consciousness field. There are much better phenomenon to do that job.

• Like 2

Alan you said "I base my 'Superconsciousness on the above statement. I am not suggesting this superconsciousness, is God or a type of god!"

Many have called different levels of consciousness "god or gods" and conceived many misperceptions by using those words! I agree there are many hive like consciousness entities or units that transcend our current perception of the dimensions and magnetic fields between the atoms of creatures and enviroments that can sometimes extend beyond their own body and the conscious level actually into a unit not an individual.

This is what mystics discover and I think it will be the physicists who finally show a way to prove it exists to the closed minded to spirit part of material existence. Spirit is one of those words like god, it is a no no term because it's highly debated depending on each individual's experiences. None the less, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist by another new scientific name. BTW I liked you quoting Einstein's "spooky" physics.

*snipped for brevity*

Good one Alan, excellent subject and one I like to follow in its many and varied forms...

Its interesting you note the hive mind concept and give your views on it as I am of a similar mind in that the body is not a whole but rather a complex arrangement of varied organisms, including viruses and bacteria, which make up a person.

The mind itself is currently inconceivable and only subject to speculation based on personal interpretations but its there non the less and whilst we may yet not have the tech to measure and define it, it doesn't mean that we never will, progress is ever forwards...

Unfortunately, our general hubris demands that we measure the unknown by current levels of understanding which often fail to even come to grasp with the subject matter and this field is no different, still, we need to discuss in order to conceive of a methodology to pursue such a fascinating subject....

Also, you are no recognizing the specializations of disciplines that entitles a mind to speak on a subject but makes them inept on another. Even when The Epi concept is a hybrid of the the two. There are things in nature Leo, that are much more than the sum of their parts. New phenomenon that have huge impacts on the universe that though function off the base parts create new properties that change everything. The problem with takeing a reductionist approach is that you cannot leap to the knew phenomenon because transcendence is not wholly understood only assumed by the determinist.

• Like 1

Hi leonardo,

With respect it seems odd to me that on a forum titled "Unexplained Mysteries", you seem to insist on a scientific explaination for everything. I have been a member of a few strickly science based forums and have learned to avoid anything esoteric while debating with those guys.

Even there they don't always insist on prior scientific proof!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi leonardo,

With respect it seems odd to me that on a forum titled "Unexplained Mysteries", you seem to insist on a scientific explaination for everything. I have been a member of a few strickly science based forums and have learned to avoid anything esoteric while debating with those guys.

Trust me i understand where you are coming from on this lol but you just have to accept it unfortunately. Some Websites are even worse when it comes to debating the Unexplained example Above Top Secret.

Hi leonardo,

If name were to illuminate function; the proper name for this forum would be: Empiricist's Heaven, Theorists Hell