Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House Directs Pentagon To IgnoreClimateChange

ninjadude

WASHINGTON -- The House passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorization bill on Thursday that would bar the Department of Defense from using funds to assess climate change and its implications for national security.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/pentagon-climate-change_n_5382067.html

The Stupid burns brightly in these

• Like 2

WASHINGTON -- The House passed an amendment to the National Defense Authorization bill on Thursday that would bar the Department of Defense from using funds to assess climate change and its implications for national security.

http://www.huffingto..._n_5382067.html

Just another way to impede Obama's agenda. The House is hardly the only group that does not give total credence to man made climate change. Why should they work with that putz in any area? 2 years... just 2 more years and we can close the book on the worst presidency of all time.
  • Like 6

Just another way to impede Obama's agenda. The House is hardly the only group that does not give total credence to man made climate change. Why should they work with that putz in any area? 2 years... just 2 more years and we can close the book on the worst presidency of all time.

...and hope that the next worst Presidency of all-time doesn't occur: Hillary Clinton, the Butcher of Benghazi.

• Like 6

http://www.huffingto..._n_5382067.html

From the link...

"This amendment will prohibit the costs of the President's climate change policies being forced on the Department of Defense by the Obama Administration," wrote McKinley in a memo to House colleagues on Thursday that was obtained by The Huffington Post. "The climate is obviously changing; it has always been changing. With all the unrest around the [world], why should Congress divert funds from the mission of our military and national security to support a political ideology?"

Seems reasonable enough to me. Why should the Military have to fund Climate Change research?

• Like 7

This is the problem with Republicans (and pretty much politicians in general). Micro-managing a nation's defenses is a sure way to lose. Besides, this means the military, unless they manage to ignore this (and I suspect at least for now the Senate would stop such a resolution, but the Republicans may gain control of the Senate shortly) the US military will be unprepared for a very likely scenario. How absurd.

This is the problem with Republicans (and pretty much politicians in general). Micro-managing a nation's defenses is a sure way to lose. Besides, this means the military, unless they manage to ignore this (and I suspect at least for now the Senate would stop such a resolution, but the Republicans may gain control of the Senate shortly) the US military will be unprepared for a very likely scenario. How absurd.

I'm not sure what you mean. This action would save the military much needed cash for real priorities. That isn't micromanaging - it's keeping some of the rank politics out of the DoD.
  • Like 1

Well I am convinced that global warming is a serious and pressing danger and that it seems nothing will be done until the disasters begin, and then we will have to deal with these disasters. The military should be where decisions like that are made. Simple decisions such as where to base stuff need to take things like rising coastlines into consideration.

I say we leave science to the scientists and not the generals.

If there is some possible threat to the military by Climate Change, I suggest farming out that question's research to some other part of the government. Perhaps one that is sanctioned to investigate weather related issues and has specific experts on staff..

• Like 2

It's just stupid politics trying to pass a law that the tide not come in. Republicans are the stupid ones this time. It is the military's job and duty to plan for every contingency.

Well I am convinced that global warming is a serious and pressing danger and that it seems nothing will be done until the disasters begin, and then we will have to deal with these disasters. The military should be where decisions like that are made. Simple decisions such as where to base stuff need to take things like rising coastlines into consideration.

There's many people who are not convinced though. I personally don't know anyone who believes in AGW enough to support it on a political level. I have a hard time believing in a problem that they claim will go away if we give them more money. This is beyond the fact that they've been telling us "we have less than 10 years before we hit the tipping point" since 1990.

• Like 3

I say we leave science to the scientists and not the generals.

If there is some possible threat to the military by Climate Change, I suggest farming out that question's research to some other part of the government. Perhaps one that is sanctioned to investigate weather related issues and has specific experts on staff..

And leave it to scientists and experts who aren't bought off or otherwise seduced politically...if such there be...

• Like 2

My background was computers and astronomy and mathematics, not meteorology, but I am able to understand the scientific journals, and they are unanimous in their view that man-caused global warming is already here and going to get worse.

It won't be the end of the world, but a lot of heavily populated river deltas are going to be inundated, storms are going to become more severe, as will winters and droughts, and a variety of unexpected things may reveal themselves very much to our displeasure.

It would not surprise me in the least that the military of all nations is making appropriate plans. I'm not privy to Vietnamese military planning, but I do know plans are being made on the civilian level and land use laws that reflect the now virtual certainty of rising sea levels and more northerly, more severe, typhoons (hurricanes in the West) are in place or being planned.

Politics is politics and for some reason some in the American radical right have decided on a course of denial. I suppose they will wake up in the gutter.

• Like 2

From OP link:

None of the funds authorized to be appropriated or otherwise made available by this Act may be used to implement the U.S. Global Change Research Program National Climate Assessment, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Fifth Assessment Report, the United Nation's Agenda 21 sustainable development plan, or the May 2013 Technical Update of the Social Cost of Carbon for Regulatory Impact Analysis Under Executive Order 12866.

This reads to me not that the military is to ignore Climate Changew, or not to Plan for it, but not to financially support organizations that the Administration has specifically targeted to support. Support at least in part for ideological and political reasons.

This is not a ban on the military recognizing Climate Change and acting to be ready. It is a ban on spending DoD money on specific subjects with specific organizations.

From the link...

Seems reasonable enough to me. Why should the Military have to fund Climate Change research?

The real motivation is made clear in the last statement "to fund a political ideology", (how did you ignore that highly politicized statement) climate change is not a political ideology - it is a scientific fact. The Pentagon has already identified it as the single greatest threat to Americas national security in the coming century.

This is the Republicans pursuing their anti-science agenda and the consequences will be dire.

Br Cornelius

There's many people who are not convinced though. I personally don't know anyone who believes in AGW enough to support it on a political level. I have a hard time believing in a problem that they claim will go away if we give them more money. This is beyond the fact that they've been telling us "we have less than 10 years before we hit the tipping point" since 1990.

who claims it will go away if we give the government more money ?

Your buying into the Rubs propaganda rather than following the evidence here.

Br Cornelius

From OP link:

This reads to me not that the military is to ignore Climate Changew, or not to Plan for it, but not to financially support organizations that the Administration has specifically targeted to support. Support at least in part for ideological and political reasons.

This is not a ban on the military recognizing Climate Change and acting to be ready. It is a ban on spending DoD money on specific subjects with specific organizations.

Basically its trying to prevent the military from cooperating with all the state level bodies who are specifically tasked with climate research. If you can't see the denial politicking going on here then I am staggered.

Br Cornelius

yea, yea, how many billions we spend on this myth?? and what are the results? oh i see we did not do enough research, how many more billions needs to be wasted before we admit, we can't really do anything about..

• Like 1

yea, yea, how many billions we spend on this myth?? and what are the results? oh i see we did not do enough research, how many more billions needs to be wasted before we admit, we can't really do anything about..

It seems Aztek that we have not really done anything about the problem other than research it. You cannot expect to solve a problem by sitting on your hands now, can you.

Br Cornelius

well, billions in research turned out 0 useful results, so only logical thing is to pull the plug.

only because politicians are not prepared to do the hard things the research points to. You advocate learning some bad news and then burying your head in the sand rather than dealing with it. You seem to be in good company there.

Best not to listen to the bad men who tell us theres a problem, best to just smile.

Br Cornelius

You advocate learning some bad news and then burying your head in the sand rather than dealing with it.

no, this is not what i advocate, this seem to be in line with your imagination, however.

i advocate taking funds away from those that prove to have 0 results despite billions wasted. that is all, very simple concept,

not to mention i do not need a study to know we can't stop climate change any more than we can stop earthquakes. all i care is how i will adopt to it, but i do not see much research on that subject

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

no, this is not what i advocate, this seem to be in line with your imagination, however.

i advocate taking funds away from those that prove to have 0 results despite billions wasted. that is all, very simple concept,

not to mention i do not need a study to know we can't stop climate change any more than we can stop earthquakes. all i care is how i will adopt to it, but i do not see much research on that subject

Again you are factually wrong. the researchers have produced abundant results from their research - they have delivered value for money on what they were tasked to do. The waste comes in those who tasked them to do the research subsequently ignoring those results. It is not the scientists at fault here - it is the politicians who have decided they don't like the evidence of science they commissioned.

And as to adaption, that represents a substantial part of the research efforts so far - so again you are factually wrong.

Br Cornelius

show us any of those usefull findings. that we did not know before.

well you can say i'm wrong all you want, but someone in the house seem to think we wasted enough, and i agree with them

Edited by aztek

show us any of those usefull findings. that we did not know before.

well you can say i'm wrong all you want, but someone in the house seem to think so as well,.

Unfortunately you don't have to prove your intelligence to get elected to the House.

As to research into adaptation;

http://www.nccarf.edu.au/

However, you can research all you like but it becomes a waste of money when there is no political commitment to heed that research.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest