Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shadow people

kidagakash

Last Summer the encounters started happening again. It had been years since anything has happened. Last year they started happening again. I documented these on another forum so I would retain a concrete recollection of events and maybe even get some perspective on the situation but the shadows forum there hasn't seen activity other than my own in almost a year so I am re posting them here in hopes of getting anyones thoughts on what has been happening. I am a relatively sane person with no history of mental illness and I am not a writer with aspirations of creating 'creepypasta' These experiences all took place between July 2013 and February 2014. Since February I haven't had a significant experience since but I am still having nightmares where they are present. The first experience:

icon_post_target.gifby Kidagakash on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I haven't conversed on forums like this since the dial-up days, but I have been increasingly concerned as of late. When we were both growing up my brother and I once saw something dark and misty rising from the ground. It had almost reached the same height as us (about 4-5 ft at the time) when we both ran back into the house terrified. We lived in a desert climate at the time, and it almost never fogs there. I had subsequent feelings of terror most nights, feeling as if something in the yard was out there watching me. It got to the point where I couldn't, and rarely still can not sleep without my back to a wall, and even then, I feel a presence, not always, but frequently, watching me. I've been followed by this presence no matter where I am. I infrequently had nightmares of a motionless figure, staring at me, and then suddenly comes forward to me, at which point I wake up completely terrified. The figure always approaches from the same point in the back yard in the dream, as where my brother and I actually saw something come up from the ground. I found out a couple months ago while talking to my brother, that he had actually seen figures at night whom he could not identify. One spoke to him, when he asked who it was. It told him to go back to bed. I haven't seen them in the waking world, except in half-glimpsed moments that I could not get a clear look at anything, but was sure there was something around me. I recently moved over 1000 miles away from that house, which was pretty much the only place these things took place. For over 2 years now my encounters with this entity which for whatever reason was always showing up had all but vanished. This Summer my brother moved out here too. That was when we talked about and realised we had both continued to have these experiences. We simply stopped talking about it, as adults who buy in to the unknown are largely regarded as mentally ill. In the months following his arrival, I noticed strange behavior in myself, himself, and others around the house. Emotionally high activity... sort of like, exaggerated. Then I started noticing them again. I had forgotten how terrifying the feeling is, like someone is right behind you, or even in all directions around you but not visible. The first time it happened in this house was in the basement getting laundry. Out of nowhere, I felt something staring at me from behind, something powerful. I turned around and there was a small spider on a strand of web, directly eye level to me about 12 inches away. This isn't the first time I've felt this happen and then had a spider charge at me out of nowhere. I mostly stay out of the basement if I don't have to go down there, but I can still feel the presence appear in my room. It's very malevolent. It rarely makes any other sign of its existence, except that on occasion, I can feel it pass through me. When this happens I get goosebumps and my skin in that area goes really cold. My only possible theory at this time, is that when my brother moved here, something tagged along? He has always wanted more contact with these entities, or shadows, or whatever they are, and to my understanding could have unwittingly invited them in. I have fought them my whole life out of my presence, but to no avail mostly. Does anyone have any thoughts, or advice on this? Since having them show up again, majorly bad things have happened to my life, and I'm worried a very negative force is causing these things to happen.

Not too long after that I actually saw one for the first time without doubt:

icon_post_target.gifby Kidagakash on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 pm

There was a large thunderstorm blowing through this town yesterday just after sunset. Roughly 15 minutes before the rain hit, I saw clear as day, this mostly formless shadow move through the parking lot in the church near my house, toward the trees on the edge of the lot. I'm only cataloging this event because I almost never see them with my waking eyes. My brother was also there (we had gone outside to watch the storm move in) and claimed to see a second shadow, but much larger, moving in the same general direction. Something about lightning storms seems to really boost paranormal activity. Just my opinion, anyway. Oh interesting side note, my brother told me they are attracted to churches... I hadn't heard that before, will have to see if there's credibility to that.

The last one was very upsetting. The house has been a lot calmer lately but I still feel them here sometimes at night. I am hoping a major incident does not happened again for a long time, if ever. Another one from last year that I didn't document and won't get into right now cost me my job and I couldn't leave my room except to get food and cigarettes for a month.

icon_post_target.gifby Kidagakash on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:10 pm

My brother had been living here for 2 months now. I had become increasingly upset over his lack of regard for our parent's house while they were south for the Winter. One night, I suddenly snapped and started shouting all these things I had always felt but never said about his disregard for the home we live in, It wasn't anything threatening, just to stop treating the house like a dumpster, to take care of it, etc, nothing threating to them just outrage over a neglected home. I'm not an angry or violent person ever, but I screamed things that I didn't know I was capable of. Even the my voice was much louder and growling than I ever thought I could sound. He and his girlfriend left shortly after to stay at her Dad's house. After they left the cats started meowing a lot. I got this wierd panicky feeling, uncomfortable.... nervous. I tried to calm myself down, and relax. Then I started speaking out loud to myself (A process I use when I am stressed and need to calm down) but I wasn't trying to calm myself, I was saying "Something gave me a voice." "I couldn't say that on my own." I thought about that for a moment, and then kept trying to divert my attention and calm down. I had work early the next day. I eventually went out to the room to sleep on the couch. (I haven't been sleeping in my own room for a couple weeks. I just can't do it anymore) My kitty came to snuggle next to me and sleep, and I pet him for a while, and he was purring and falling asleep. Out of nowhere, he bolts away from the couch and runs upstairs in about 3 seconds.He must have lept 6 feet straight through the air and was scratching his way upstairs like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. I felt very anxious, and afraid. I called out for him to come back for a few minutes, desperate to not be alone, and very disturbed by his abrupt and fast departure from the room. He has never done that before. Then... I feel fingers, the top half of a hand on my shoulder, almost on the back of my neck. It wasn't in my mind, and it lasted for several seconds. The amount of fear I felt was indescribable. I pulled the blanket completely over my body and cried out for my kitty to come back and keep me from being alone for at least 10 minutes. he did not come back in the room. I suddenly became so overwhelmingly drowsy that I fell asleep. I don't remember anything else after that except waking up and vomiting up some clear liquid, and feeling very anxious, and tired, like I hadn't slept for a minute, but I had been asleep for almost 9 hours. I have seen them only once that I can remember, but I can feel when they are close, and it's very terryfying. I have every working bulb burning in this house right now as I type this. I'm not writing this for amusement for myself or others. I'm documenting an experience that was very unpleasant, and I hope that it offers someone solace that they might not be crazy. I'm a normal person. I don't have voices in my head, or have wierd psychological trauma. I only want to ask one thing. Has a shadow ever touched anyone else before? I won't ever forget the feeling, I can't even describe it, but it was very bad. Those are the worst of my experiences that I can remember. There have been others. Some forgotten, some repressed, and some I am not willing to dredge into my concious mind long enough to write about. I have had very little to go on besides my own research and maybe 2 replies at the other forum. If anybody has any thoughts and any of this at all I would be very greatful for yout perspective or ideas. Thank you for your time. Apologies for the spelling and grammar errors.

Edited by kidagakash
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting read, for me anyways. This kinda stuff doesnt happen to me and i wish it did. Even my own mother experienced something of the paranormal. But then again, i dont know what id do if it came down to it, scream like a girl maybe? lol

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting read, for me anyways. This kinda stuff doesnt happen to me and i wish it did. Even my own mother experienced something of the paranormal. But then again, i dont know what id do if it came down to it, scream like a girl maybe? lol

The last thing you want to do is panic and be consumed by fear. Any time this has happened, fear exascerbates the situation. I can't say that I wasn't terrified some of those times, though. It's a runaway effect once you let fear set in. I should make one last edit to this. If you ever have this sort of thing happen you won't wish it did, anymore. I can't deny being intruiged by everything I've seen or felt or whatever... but I'd rather it didn't exist. Their influence has nearly killed me more than a couple times.

Edited by kidagakash

Ok, You posted the experiences else where on um, You had people reply so i am not sure why you are reposting these same threads.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

Interesting experiences.

I had a few experiences last summer, but I didn't see human shapes, I just saw shadows.

I was camping, and I saw out of the corner of my eye what looked like a black dog running through the trees near a clearing, but there was nothing there when I looked. Another, I was riding my bike and I saw something black jump down from a tree. I wasn't looking directly at it, but my face was turned towards it, so it was more than just seeing it out of the corner of my eye. Then there was one where I was facing it again but closer in my field of vision, I was almost looking right at it, but I saw this shadow go under a small bridge, and I actually thought it was a little creature so i went to look, but there was nothing there.

They were like shadows, but thicker almost... They didn't have that shadow transparency.. But at the same time, they were shadows.

It was weird.

Ok, You posted the experiences else where on um, You had people reply so i am not sure why you are reposting these same threads.

It was an entirely different website and to even view the posts I made you had to create a login so after barely getting a response after almost a year I hoped I might here.

• Like 1

It was an entirely different website and to even view the posts I made you had to create a login so after barely getting a response after almost a year I hoped I might here.

I noticed that last night... Welcome to UM, I hope you find the answers you're looking for :)

Last Summer the encounters started happening again. It had been years since anything has happened. Last year they started happening again. I documented these on another forum so I would retain a concrete recollection of events and maybe even get some perspective on the situation but the shadows forum there hasn't seen activity other than my own in almost a year so I am re posting them here in hopes of getting anyones thoughts on what has been happening. I am a relatively sane person with no history of mental illness and I am not a writer with aspirations of creating 'creepypasta' These experiences all took place between July 2013 and February 2014. Since February I haven't had a significant experience since but I am still having nightmares where they are present. The first experience:

icon_post_target.gifby Kidagakash on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I haven't conversed on forums like this since the dial-up days, but I have been increasingly concerned as of late. When we were both growing up my brother and I once saw something dark and misty rising from the ground. It had almost reached the same height as us (about 4-5 ft at the time) when we both ran back into the house terrified. We lived in a desert climate at the time, and it almost never fogs there. I had subsequent feelings of terror most nights, feeling as if something in the yard was out there watching me. It got to the point where I couldn't, and rarely still can not sleep without my back to a wall, and even then, I feel a presence, not always, but frequently, watching me. I've been followed by this presence no matter where I am. I infrequently had nightmares of a motionless figure, staring at me, and then suddenly comes forward to me, at which point I wake up completely terrified. The figure always approaches from the same point in the back yard in the dream, as where my brother and I actually saw something come up from the ground. I found out a couple months ago while talking to my brother, that he had actually seen figures at night whom he could not identify. One spoke to him, when he asked who it was. It told him to go back to bed. I haven't seen them in the waking world, except in half-glimpsed moments that I could not get a clear look at anything, but was sure there was something around me. I recently moved over 1000 miles away from that house, which was pretty much the only place these things took place. For over 2 years now my encounters with this entity which for whatever reason was always showing up had all but vanished. This Summer my brother moved out here too. That was when we talked about and realised we had both continued to have these experiences. We simply stopped talking about it, as adults who buy in to the unknown are largely regarded as mentally ill. In the months following his arrival, I noticed strange behavior in myself, himself, and others around the house. Emotionally high activity... sort of like, exaggerated. Then I started noticing them again. I had forgotten how terrifying the feeling is, like someone is right behind you, or even in all directions around you but not visible. The first time it happened in this house was in the basement getting laundry. Out of nowhere, I felt something staring at me from behind, something powerful. I turned around and there was a small spider on a strand of web, directly eye level to me about 12 inches away. This isn't the first time I've felt this happen and then had a spider charge at me out of nowhere. I mostly stay out of the basement if I don't have to go down there, but I can still feel the presence appear in my room. It's very malevolent. It rarely makes any other sign of its existence, except that on occasion, I can feel it pass through me. When this happens I get goosebumps and my skin in that area goes really cold. My only possible theory at this time, is that when my brother moved here, something tagged along? He has always wanted more contact with these entities, or shadows, or whatever they are, and to my understanding could have unwittingly invited them in. I have fought them my whole life out of my presence, but to no avail mostly. Does anyone have any thoughts, or advice on this? Since having them show up again, majorly bad things have happened to my life, and I'm worried a very negative force is causing these things to happen.

Not too long after that I actually saw one for the first time without doubt:

icon_post_target.gifby Kidagakash on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 pm

There was a large thunderstorm blowing through this town yesterday just after sunset. Roughly 15 minutes before the rain hit, I saw clear as day, this mostly formless shadow move through the parking lot in the church near my house, toward the trees on the edge of the lot. I'm only cataloging this event because I almost never see them with my waking eyes. My brother was also there (we had gone outside to watch the storm move in) and claimed to see a second shadow, but much larger, moving in the same general direction. Something about lightning storms seems to really boost paranormal activity. Just my opinion, anyway. Oh interesting side note, my brother told me they are attracted to churches... I hadn't heard that before, will have to see if there's credibility to that.

The last one was very upsetting. The house has been a lot calmer lately but I still feel them here sometimes at night. I am hoping a major incident does not happened again for a long time, if ever. Another one from last year that I didn't document and won't get into right now cost me my job and I couldn't leave my room except to get food and cigarettes for a month.

icon_post_target.gifby Kidagakash on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:10 pm

My brother had been living here for 2 months now. I had become increasingly upset over his lack of regard for our parent's house while they were south for the Winter. One night, I suddenly snapped and started shouting all these things I had always felt but never said about his disregard for the home we live in, It wasn't anything threatening, just to stop treating the house like a dumpster, to take care of it, etc, nothing threating to them just outrage over a neglected home. I'm not an angry or violent person ever, but I screamed things that I didn't know I was capable of. Even the my voice was much louder and growling than I ever thought I could sound. He and his girlfriend left shortly after to stay at her Dad's house. After they left the cats started meowing a lot. I got this wierd panicky feeling, uncomfortable.... nervous. I tried to calm myself down, and relax. Then I started speaking out loud to myself (A process I use when I am stressed and need to calm down) but I wasn't trying to calm myself, I was saying "Something gave me a voice." "I couldn't say that on my own." I thought about that for a moment, and then kept trying to divert my attention and calm down. I had work early the next day. I eventually went out to the room to sleep on the couch. (I haven't been sleeping in my own room for a couple weeks. I just can't do it anymore) My kitty came to snuggle next to me and sleep, and I pet him for a while, and he was purring and falling asleep. Out of nowhere, he bolts away from the couch and runs upstairs in about 3 seconds.He must have lept 6 feet straight through the air and was scratching his way upstairs like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. I felt very anxious, and afraid. I called out for him to come back for a few minutes, desperate to not be alone, and very disturbed by his abrupt and fast departure from the room. He has never done that before. Then... I feel fingers, the top half of a hand on my shoulder, almost on the back of my neck. It wasn't in my mind, and it lasted for several seconds. The amount of fear I felt was indescribable. I pulled the blanket completely over my body and cried out for my kitty to come back and keep me from being alone for at least 10 minutes. he did not come back in the room. I suddenly became so overwhelmingly drowsy that I fell asleep. I don't remember anything else after that except waking up and vomiting up some clear liquid, and feeling very anxious, and tired, like I hadn't slept for a minute, but I had been asleep for almost 9 hours. I have seen them only once that I can remember, but I can feel when they are close, and it's very terryfying. I have every working bulb burning in this house right now as I type this. I'm not writing this for amusement for myself or others. I'm documenting an experience that was very unpleasant, and I hope that it offers someone solace that they might not be crazy. I'm a normal person. I don't have voices in my head, or have wierd psychological trauma. I only want to ask one thing. Has a shadow ever touched anyone else before? I won't ever forget the feeling, I can't even describe it, but it was very bad. Those are the worst of my experiences that I can remember. There have been others. Some forgotten, some repressed, and some I am not willing to dredge into my concious mind long enough to write about. I have had very little to go on besides my own research and maybe 2 replies at the other forum. If anybody has any thoughts and any of this at all I would be very greatful for yout perspective or ideas. Thank you for your time. Apologies for the spelling and grammar errors.

Is this still happening? How is it affecting your life currently.

Is this still happening? How is it affecting your life currently.

Yes it is still happening. It probably always will. Because of my intensive deliberation on the subject last night I was of course attacked in my sleep. This happens but not frequently. There was some huge party going on, but I was locked in a building similar to my old house in AZ. I was being treated like a slave to the party. made to wear ridiculous outfits or no outfit.Somehow I decided that this was so much like my old home that even though the masters of the party had keys to get it, I looked for the small deadbolt at the top of the front door. It was there so I latched it. Then I remembered how we had blocked the sliding door with wood, and I did that.Soon after I did that of course they realized and approached the front door. The masters were an old couple, I can't describe much more other than that they were very ugly and mean looking. They just stood there I think one remarked that they approved of the silly costume I had decided to wear (before I went to bar the doors I realised I was not wearing much but underwear and needed to cover up, and everything they left me to wear were like ridiculous costume clothes.They seemed to approve of my combination of humiliation and defiance in blocking them out so I felt I was allowed to approach the party outside. There were benches which many people were seated at, so I took a seat. There didn't seem to be any purpose to the gathering. People were just sitting around a lot of trees and plants and water. Suddenly people started to stand up and leave so I did too. I recall walking a short distance down a city street until an arm grabbed me from behind. It was this VERY old VERY mean looking woman (When they come while I sleep I have often seen this old woman) and she starts ranting at me claiming I had done something bad and she wasn't going to let me go. I kept trying to pull my arm out of her grip but if I managed to get free she would cling to my arm again too quickly for me to escape. I became indignant and started ordering her to let me go, I had done nothing wrong, but she refused to stop. I noticed a pay phone in arms reach and threatened to call the police. That didn't seem to sway her to let me go so I did. at first I dialed 911 then I remembered that wasn't the police so I hung up and dialed 0. I asked if this was the police and he said no this is the operator dispatch or something it was so hard to hear the voice on the phone. Just then I saw the man who runs the store I work at(no idea why he was there), and had an idea. I caught his attention calling out his name loudly, and explained that this crazy old lady had been harrasing me and wouldnt let go of me. I asked for his help. As soon as I did that she was no longer grasping my arm and pulling at me. She was just standing there with a blank expression. Then she was gone. It released me from the bulk of the ominous feeling for a while until for some reason I was compelled to return to where the people had gathered before. This time everyone was gathered more cheerfully. People were talking in small groups, some eating snacks, some swimming in this pool of water. Then the sky got dark and dusty windy, and for some reasons fully grown trees about 10-15ft tall were suddenly hurled down from the sky like projectiles. The first one just barely missed impaling my head, but did cut my cheek and ear as I ducked to avoid it. Then more trees kept coming at us. some at others, most seemed to be going after each new spot I found to take shelter. Suddenly I see a door with a window under this porch, and my brother is yelling for us to get inside. So I called out to everyone to get through the door quick. I can't remember much after that point. Sorry if this is long but I was typing this immediately after I woke up and needed to get every detail before I forgot anything. I just remembered what the old ugly lady accused me of. She said I had taken something of hers. It was a long thin white tube, like 20-30 inches long. I saw it when I returned to the gathering of people. It was on a table broken into many fragments. The pieces looked like that drywall stuff in houses except for its shape. broken pieces of a long thin cylindrical object. Every time I try to reach out for information or answers or thoughts on this stuff I usually get attacked soon after. They do not like me trying to figure this out. I slept with all my lights on last night but that doesn't do anything once I am asleep. They only have to be as close as right outside my window to mess with me. I was glad that I was able to try to stand up to this thing at least somewhat. BTW to actually answer your other question it infrequently affects my life to a point where really bad things happen like fully awake visual encounters I had last year. One of those sent my brother into a delirious trance where he could only either cry or rant angrily about nothing. That week I lost my job from the stress and lack of sleep. One experience led me to accidentally almost kill myself, but I won't go into detail. For the most part since february I have only had them try to get to me in my sleep, or a couple times they were nearby outside at night but I kept my head down and didn't ever try to see them. I knew where they were by feel and just bee lined it home and got inside quick.

Seems a bit crazy. Have you considered calling the authories and asking for their professional opinion on this matter?

• Like 1

I've had dreams similar to your experience where there's a big black figure in my room and I cannot see it's face or body or anything but i know I'm asleep and in the dream I try to wake up the nearest person but it's like they were swallowed by a thick black smoke cloud, I know they are there but I can't see them and I scream and tell but nothing comes out... It's gotton so bad to the point I've had to wake myself up and often woke up crying

I believe I have had one experience with what may have been a 'shadow person', albeit really not a very exciting one, and the validity of my account may be questionable. I'm going to give a little bit of background context, though. At around the age of 17 I'd suffered greatly with depression, this affected my sleeping in terms of hypersomnia (sleeping too much) and waking up or stirring before reaching the 16 hour mark was quite unusual. I'm also mentioning my mental health as a few years prior I'd reached quite a severe state and had suffered delusions. Just delusions to my knowledge (never hallucinations, unless you count this) and in terms of where I was at on the crazy-o-meter, at this point I was nothing more than irrationally sad. I'd left my bedroom door open and hall light on before returning to my state of hibernation, however this time had awoken at around 3AM. I rolled over, looked at my door. And there was a silhouette of a young man, perhaps late teens or early 20s, just loitering and I'm assuming looking at me. Strangely, I didn't feel any fear or anxiety over this apparent intruder, but was very calm and stared at him for a few seconds. I had enough time to register his posture as timid, or perhaps just very reserved, before he turned and walked towards my bathroom, situated as the room next door. For some reason, I'd felt the urge to follow him. So, in the space of about a second after he'd turned along the hall, I slipped out of bed and went to investigate. Nothing. There were no means of escape in that direction, and having a few additional seconds to think about what had just happened, I proceeded to check all of the doors and windows in the house from downstairs up. But there was nothing, and even when reaching the realisation that this could be a dangerous situation, I strangely felt like I was looking around the house for a friend that night. Almost as though he'd come to check on how I was doing. And that was.... well, just a nice thing.

Additional speculation:

There was something that stands out to me now, a few years after discovering other people have also witnessed a shadowy, humanoid mass, and was that (unlike many other reports I have come across) the person appeared to me as very modern. His outline appeared to show that he was wearing a standard T-Shirt, and his hair was spiked up. He was averagely tall, I'd say a little under 6', and he was quite thin, or at least had thin arms. His appearance appeared to be a dark charcoal grey, slightly opaque. Not opaque enough to see through, but almost as though if I'd reached out my hand it would have passed straight through it. The density of how a cloud appears, if that makes any sense at all. The way I explained his posture earlier on is somewhat ambiguous, so I'd like to clarify. His arms were bent and looked as though they were drooped in front of his belly, as though he didn't really know what to do with them.

Of course there is a part of me that doubts what I saw was real (being the sophist that I am), but genuinely, deep down, I just really don't think that was a figment of my imagination. But as depression often comes with an unshakable feeling of loneliness, perhaps I was just subconsciously looking for a bit of comfort. That's all I can really describe it as. Not scary, not frightening, but comforting. Whatever it was, my mind or the paranormal, I am grateful for the experience.

• Like 1