Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shostak dismisses claims of alien visitation

SETI astronomer Seth Shostak doesn't believe that we have ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

Despite passionately pursuing the hunt for extraterrestrial intelligence in the universe, SETI's Seth Shostak is not convinced by the thousands of sightings of Unidentified Flying Objects, alien abduction accounts and other similar reports that seemingly indicate that we may not be alone.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...lien-visitation

So basically what he's saying is, all the high-ranking military officers testifying in the Disclosure Project in 2001 and the Citizen Hearing in 2013 - they watch too many movies?

• Like 6

So basically what he's saying is, all the high-ranking military officers testifying in the Disclosure Project in 2001 and the Citizen Hearing in 2013 - they watch too many movies?

It's another example of what I call 'Casual Expert Syndrome'.

He's probably seen a few youtube video's with laser pens and CGI and drawn his brilliant conclusion.

• Like 1

Thats correct.

• Like 8

SETI astronomer Seth Shostak doesn't believe that we have ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...lien-visitation

Notice how little he backs up his revelation.

Opinions are three hundred to the dollar. Worthless.

• Like 2

Yes, correct, thats what he basically says:

"When Jules Verne wrote about flying saucers, everybody started seeing flying saucers. Before that people saw angels. When people watch movies then we get a lot of reports that are tied to what’s in the movies."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/freezing-stabbing-victims-in-suspended-animation-could-save-lives-as-trials-begin-9435005.html

And I agree with him.

Anyone who believe these high ranking officials have fallen straight into their cunning little plan, "the gullible will believe us"! They want people to believe in ET so they do,not ask questions on what they are really up to....building high tech undetectable planes, and jeebus knows what experiments they are doing behind closed labs.

You keep looking up at them skies, saves you looking at what is really happening on the ground.

• Like 3

What a shame that Seth Shostak did a turn about.... especially after all the committed and hard work he put into it :unsure2:

Even Churchill and Eisenhower believed we were being visited in WW11.

Didn't they agree to cover up a Raf Aircraft plane's UFO encounter? They were certainly not unintelligent men :innocent:

• Like 1

If you'd read the article they do make a distinction between ufo's and aliens visiting. Their claim is the one hasnt anything to do with the other

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

It's another example of what I call 'Casual Expert Syndrome'.

He's probably seen a few youtube video's with laser pens and CGI and drawn his brilliant conclusion.

It seems that you have a very little idea about the knowledge, skills and work of Shostak and you can be sure that he

don`t harvest his knowledge from lousy YT clips as you mostly do. Your problem with Shostak is simple to explain. He

is a scientist so he is working with facts that are verifiable and he is using tools that are able to provide verifiable facts

in case of contact. He does not judge blurry pics/clips showing some light effects, blops on windows or "testimonials"

of drunken farmers as a proof of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life forms present on earth, in the past and/or

present. But you are doing that. In addition, he did not finally excluded these options, he just stated that he does not

believe so as there is no evidence for such events, means real evidence and not that kind of modificated evidence that

you are using. And you by youself are judging a lot of sightings as a proof of aliens even if you do not have verifiable

evidence to back your claims. Do you see the difference between Shostak and your person now?

And as you are one of the believers that the aliens are still here I would like to ask you a question: are you an active

member of the seti@home community?

• Like 6

Didn't they agree to cover up a Raf Aircraft plane's UFO encounter? They were certainly not unintelligent men :innocent:

I'm sure there has been plenty of examples of this kind of thing. Both in the US and the UK.

• Like 1

It seems that you have a very little idea about the knowledge, skills and work of Shostak and you can be sure that he

don`t harvest his knowledge from lousy YT clips as you mostly do. Your problem with Shostak is simple to explain. He

is a scientist so he is working with facts that are verifiable and he is using tools that are able to provide verifiable facts

in case of contact. He does not judge blurry pics/clips showing some light effects, blops on windows or "testimonials"

of drunken farmers as a proof of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life forms present on earth, in the past and/or

present. But you are doing that. In addition, he did not finally excluded these options, he just stated that he does not

believe so as there is no evidence for such events, means real evidence and not that kind of modificated evidence that

you are using. And you by youself are judging a lot of sightings as a proof of aliens even if you do not have verifiable

evidence to back your claims. Do you see the difference between Shostak and your person now?

And as you are one of the believers that the aliens are still here I would like to ask you a question: are you an active

How much study into Ufology cases of the last 70 years has he done do you think?

Compare that to the well known Ufologers such as Hynek, Friedmann, etc.

Find out at and report back.

Edited by zoser

What a shame that Seth Shostak did a turn about.... especially after all the committed and hard work he put into it :unsure2:

What turn? Shostak never claimed that aliens were/are present on earth.

So what.

Even an IQ of 170 does not automatically protect from insanity or exclude weird thoughts generally.

• Like 3

How much study into Ufology cases of the last 70 years has he done do you think?

Hynek didn't believe that the ufo reports were alien spacecraft either

• Like 2

If you have searched for 70 years in your own poo-poo for gold nuggets does not mean that you have a

70y experience in gold-seeking but it means that you have searched at the wrong place.

I do not compare scientific research and its methods and results with such originated stuff in general.

My correct answer would not be in compliance with the forum rules but the answer contains my body part

that I´m sitting on and your body part that you need to articulate. :yes:

BTW:

BTW2:

What altitude the object in the clip had reached do you think and based on what facts do you measured this? How high can a

RC drone go as per your opinion?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=266811entry5180179

BTW3:

Is your grammar in the German language perfect, Mr. Z.?

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265904entry5156397

• Like 2

He's a man of science and ufology isnt a science. Its just a fringe pseudo-science. However, Shostak has all the toys at SETI for doing investigations in deep space and other planets....and SETI, head and shoulders above the woowoo crowd, have BEEN SEARCHING FOR ALIEN LIFE all the time, thats what SETI means

REMEMBER...he is dismissing visitation, he is NOT dismissing the chance of life on other planets. Do you understand that?

Quote from another recent Shostak article 4 days old:

Astronomers in America have told the US congress that the search for extraterrestrial life is “plausible and warrants scientific inquiry”.

Dan Werthimer and Seth Shostak of the SETI Research Center at the University of California, Berkeley presented evidence to the House Committee to secure further funding to find alien life in outer space.

“In the last fifty years, evidence has steadily mounted that the components and conditions we believe necessary for life are common and perhaps ubiquitous in our galaxy,” said Werthimer in his written testimony.

“There may even be primitive extraterrestrial life in our own solar system, perhaps on a moon of Jupiter or Saturn. Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, is thought to have a liquid water ocean beneath its icy surface, perhaps a good environment for life as we know it.”

The pair said that although “no evidence exists for the presence of life outside of the Earth”, the sheer abundance of planets – “roughly one trillion in our Milky Way galaxy; three times more planets than stars” – suggests that the universe is “teeming with primitive life.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/seti-astronomers-tell-us-congress-theres-alien-life-out-there-9419702.html

• Like 4

Yes, they were called Germans.

• Like 5

What turn? Shostak never claimed that aliens were/are present on earth.

So what.

Even an IQ of 170 does not automatically protect from insanity or exclude weird thoughts generally.

I may have wrongly worded the "turn about" remark. I do know that the man has put hard work into his studies. I thought he was not totally opposed to the idea that they may have visited here. I may have been thinking of someone else :innocent:

Even so, there are many Scientists, other high ranking people, and ordinary folk that do believe that we have been visited.

Also, I am going to ignore the "IQ" statement that you made. It simply implies ignorance :-*

I may have wrongly worded the "turn about" remark. I do know that the man has put hard work into his studies. I thought he was not totally opposed to the idea that they may have visited here. I may have been thinking of someone else :innocent:

Even so, there are many Scientists, other high ranking people, and ordinary folk that do believe that we have been visited.

Also, I am going to ignore the "IQ" statement that you made. It simply implies ignorance :-*

Scientists and high ranking people, as explained earlier...want you to believe in ET and UFO`s from "allegeded" other planets, then you will not question their actions on Earth.

As for thinking of someone else, you really need to get the "man" right before trying to debate on him / her / them / those / it.

Peace.

Edited by freetoroam

I may have wrongly worded the "turn about" remark. I do know that the man has put hard work into his studies. I thought he was

not totally opposed to the idea that they may have visited here. I may have been thinking of someone else :innocent:

No problem.

Yeah that`s quite right but there is a difference in between belief and facts/reality. And I´m a facts/reality fan-boy.

Nope it`s not ignorance, it`s reality.

Scientists and high ranking people, as explained earlier...want you to believe in ET and UFO`s from "allegeded" other planets, then you will not question their actions on Earth.

As for thinking of someone else, you really need to get the "man" right before trying to debate on him / her / them / those / it.

Peace.

Well, I'll agree to disagree with you as far as ie: wanting to believe in ET and UFO's from other planets etc....What actions on earth do you mean?.....sounds ominous :o

Yes, I do agree with you about getting the "man" him/ her/ those / it/ right. Thank you for the advise....eh! only human :unsure2:

• Like 1

Well, I'll agree to disagree with you as far as ie: wanting to believe in ET and UFO's from other planets etc....What actions on earth do you mean?.....sounds ominous :o

Yes, I do agree with you about getting the "man" him/ her/ those / it/ right. Thank you for the advise....eh! only human :unsure2:

The scientists are in their labs doing who knows what experiments, we know that one...things like your mobile phone, to us they are relatively quite new, but not to the "high military" officials, they have had the gadgets for years, we only get the product when they have got themselves something even more advanced, these we do not hear about until they want us to, if they want us to.

As for the labs, human experiments are not new, Roswell IMO was an ideal cover up for them, they did not have aliens, they were doing experiments on humans as well the flight tests on their "special planes", so as long as people believed Roswell aliens came from the skies, it saved the questions being asked to what was really going on underground. The scientists and military could not believe their luck when the alien thing started, they just played on it even more because they knew that making people think there was a cover up must have meant there were aliens....jeeze, the gullible fell for it!

• Like 2

The scientists are in their labs doing who knows what experiments, we know that one...things like your mobile phone, to us they are relatively quite new, but not to the "high military" officials, they have had the gadgets for years, we only get the product when they have got themselves something even more advanced, these we do not hear about until they want us to, if they want us to.

As for the labs, human experiments are not new, Roswell IMO was an ideal cover up for them, they did not have aliens, they were doing experiments on humans as well the flight tests on their "special planes", so as long as people believed Roswell aliens came from the skies, it saved the questions being asked to what was really going on underground. The scientists and military could not believe their luck when the alien thing started, they just played on it even more because they knew that making people think there was a cover up must have meant there were aliens....jeeze, the gullible fell for it!

Good grief!.....cover up's to hide more cover up's......the mind boggles :wacko:
  • Like 1

Good grief!.....cover up's to hide more cover up's......the mind boggles :wacko:

The thing is, they did not even try to cover up Roswell, it was an experiment gone wrong, they just did not want it to go any further, then came the alien thing....it was their lucky day!

• Like 1

The debate is simple.

If someone spends decades studying the phenomena they are in a much better position to state the case.

Not all of them are open to any claims. Friedman for example is quite a discerning guy and maintains the ratio of hoaxes to real events is something like 20:1

That's why I only listen to Ufologists to get the truth.

• Like 1