Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Over 2000 studies say GMO's are safe

spartan max2

i happen to have a personal problem with mixing animal and vegetable dna.

[...]

But eating vegetables that already share bunch of genes with animals doesn't bother you...

[...]

as for going to the wilderness and surviving - i could probably survive ok if there were tthings to hunt and vegetation that was edible. i know a little about that sort of thing. i can even build a shelter, how about that!

so what is your point?

I can assure you, shelter would be the last of your concerns. Try it, for a month...

And my point is that many of us taking abundance of food for granted.

PS I wouldn't be surprised to see some people thinking that bred grows on the trees.

But eating vegetables that already share bunch of genes with animals doesn't bother you...

I can assure you, shelter would be the last of your concerns. Try it, for a month...

And my point is that many of us taking abundance of food for granted.

PS I wouldn't be surprised to see some people thinking that bred grows on the trees.

ok i still don't see the point in challenging me, or anyone for that matter, to go forage in the wilderness for food as a comparison to not eating food genetically modified by humans.

your point is irrelevant to the issue.

as for the other

sharing genes is not the same as crossing them unnaturally from vegetable to animal. i don't believe that is something that should be done by humans. i believe that in future we will find that it causes problems we never anticipated. it is my opinion, granted, and my opinion was the basis of my post earlier.

as for your comment that many take having abundance of food for granted. well duh no kidding. that is a given i think. what it has to do with this topic, again, eludes me.

please don't bother yourself with commenting further on it though.

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

[...] i believe [...]

We reached the roots of the issue: if "I believe" would had prevailed in 18th, 19th centuries, we wouldn't have heated greenhouses, nor huge variety of hybrids ("artificial", "vicious science" was thought by some), nor many other things.

Anything new needs testing for safety, not just GMOs, but they too need testing.

sharing genes is not the same as crossing them unnaturally from vegetable to animal. i don't believe that is something that should be done by humans.

please don't bother yourself with commenting further on it though.

Sounds like rank superstition. Why shouldn't it be done by humans? Is this something only God should do?

Your invitation for the other person to not comment on it further is a new one. Why shouldn't they if they want to? Because you don't like what they say?

I am still on the fence when it comes to GM..

I would rather wait another 50 years to see what mutations etc might come about in the crops before I deem them 'safe'

Well odds are you will be dead or very old and it won't matter. Nothing is perfectly safe in this world, so we use judgment and test things until we are reasonably sure, and then keep our eyes open. For the life of me though I don't see where this is inherently so scary to so many. It isn't as though we haven't been genetically modifying things for ages and just didn't know we were doing it.

Meh. First it was people scared of radiation that turned Peter Parker into Spiderman. Nowadays, it is the genetic boogeyman that fascinates and horrifies the crowd that loves to be fascinated and horrified.

Genetically modified food has been around for roughly 3.5 billion years or so. The only difference is that this stuff has been intentionally modified, putting it in the roughly 12,000-9,000 year old range of food items that have been finangled by humans. It is curious that the more precise and controlled we have gotten with food, as well as the higher the safety and health standards have gotten, the less some people have grown to trust it, based on little more than a distrust of the groups that made it.

Meh. First it was people scared of radiation that turned Peter Parker into Spiderman. Nowadays, it is the genetic boogeyman that fascinates and horrifies the crowd that loves to be fascinated and horrified.

Actually, I could use me some super powers!

Too bad it's just us tweaking the plants vs the randomness of nature. Nothing really nefarious or 'super power' inducing.