Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google to build its own self-driving cars

UM-Bot

The search giant is set to begin manufacturing its own custom cars instead of adapting existing ones.

Google's remarkable automated vehicles have advanced to such an extent that the company is now going to start building its own original design for the cars with the hope of seeing them undergo wide scale testing within as little as one year.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...lf-driving-cars

• Like 1

Ugh...this is it; the beginning of the end for the driving experience as we know it..

• Like 1

There is a potential in this, no doubt. But clearly there are pros and cons. First off, it would likely made the road overall much safer, I mean no more distracted drivers and such which are the cause of many accidents and death. There would probably be no more car insurances to pay with these vehicules. I mean you can't be held responsible for the car's mistake at that point, the fault comes down to the manifacturers.

However, technology are not perfect. Softwares may bug or be compromised somehow, potentially causing big troubles. Also, there may be some legitimate concerns about your privacy. I mean all of your itinaries, destinations will be likely recorded and accessible by these tech giants and spy agencies. That's something to consider and all are not comfortable with this.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I suppose this is not surprising as Google has been buying up robotics companies. I believe the most recent was Boston Dynamics the creator of the BigDog self-propelled quadruped. They obviously have the capital to go through the growth expenses of producing 25 mph cars. For now, I will relish the remaining automotive moments I have with my manual transmission, steering wheel equipped vehicle.

• Like 1

I will relish the remaining automotive moments I have with my manual transmission, steering wheel equipped vehicle.

:tu:

I can't stand automatics let alone 'self driving cars', but I see them as an inevitability eventually. I hope they do not become compulsory for a long long time.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

The computer locking up will take in a whole new meaning at 75 mile an hour. I think it the price is going to be prohibitive. I would be surprised if I see it in my life time.

I'd love to have one, personally. I take some long trips with no one else in the car... it'd be lovely to have a nap and let something else worry about the traffic.

• Like 1

no way could i sleep while this thing is driving

I would love this. A taxi without a know-all gabby driver. Heaven.

So Google can create self driving cars resulting in less money from fines and infringments. But try take oil out of the equation... OOOO watch out Toyota, you naughty.

I was reading about this one thing it will do since it will not be prone to human error, i.e speeding, running red lights etc... it will cripple law enforcement agencies dependent on revenue that such human error creates via tickets and associated fines.

i think all cars should have such a max speed to prevent accidents..

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

For now, I will relish the remaining automotive moments I have with my manual transmission, steering wheel equipped vehicle.

Here here brother. This morning on my way to work I paid special attention to the visceral feeling of mechanical shift linkages, road feel translating through the wheel into my palms, the throaty sound of the motor entering it's powerband....the whole driving experience as we know it may well be entering it's final day...

no way could i sleep while this thing is driving

So you sleep when you drive now? :innocent:
  • Like 1

The Johnny Cab!

Or the police car from Demolition Man with the "canolly foam"

I was reading about this one thing it will do since it will not be prone to human error, i.e speeding, running red lights etc... it will cripple law enforcement agencies dependent on revenue that such human error creates via tickets and associated fines.

No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers.

No, it will just allow for more police to capture theives, killer and drug pushers.

I think you severely underestimate how much revenue traffic tickets bring in.

Maybe as I've never gotten a speeding ticket. I've been doing a good bit of travelling the last 3 years going back and forth from our main office to the plant. Three hours each way on I-77 and I-20.. I very rarely see anyone pulled over getting a ticket, unless it's a holiday weekend coming up. Cops pass me when I'm already over the limit! No lights or sirens on. I'm sure some sates write more speeding tickets than others. Virginia comes to mind. But I'm sure it's a big enough piece of revenue, the stares will repalce it wills or some kind of new highway or fuel tax.

It would be interesting to know the effects of the drop in revenue. As the change will be gradual I am sure the balance will be offset through new 'revenue generating' crimes.

I think the changes to the motor insurance and especially the motor repair/maintenance industries will also be very negative.

Maybe they'll have identification software aboard that will lock the doors and take wanted criminals straight to the police station.

Personally, I like the 'driving' aspect to cars. If I dont want to physically drive then I can just take a bus, train or taxi...hands free driving! :lol:

I do get concerns of a future world where none of us have any control over our lives

Cool! Self driving cars paired with solar roadways, AWESOME !!!! The future is coming, I hope to see it in my life time. :)

This is the beginning of big lawsuit payouts for Google vehicles at fault. You know it, I know it, and the Lawyers know it.