Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human teleportation ‘could become reality’

Still Waters

Star Trek-style ''beaming up'' of people through space could become a reality sometime in the far future, the leader of a landmark teleportation experiment has said.

Nothing in the laws of physics prevents the teleportation of large objects, including humans, Professor Ronald Hanson pointed out.

http://www.telegraph...me-reality.html

• Like 1

Since the process of teleporting involves breaking down your body at the molecular level, don't you technically die every time you do it? :passifier:

• Like 3

What about the conscience, spirit or soul? I read a story about a man, who weighed multiple persons at the exact moment of death to record the weight of their souls. He discovered repeatedly that 23 grams was the difference. His device instantly changed at the moment of the soul’s departure. We would need a way to mark the atoms to verify that it was transmitted and not copied.

• Like 1

Since the process of teleporting involves breaking down your body at the molecular level, don't you technically die every time you do it? :passifier:

Its interesting. If teleportation becomes reality then its possible to expect that we could break dying person down to molecular level and 'fix' his hearth or brain so when he gets materialized again, he would feel refreshed and healthy. I mean, if u have technology to turn a man into molecules then u are capable of making changes to those molecules - in any way u like.

The amount of energy required for this would be staggering.

While Prof Hansen is correct in stating that 'Star Trek style' teleportation is not impossible by any Law of Physics we know, the article is incorrect when it assumes his advancement in teleportation gives us any indication that it would be possible to 'beam' someone (or something) from one place to another Star Trek style.

The only means of teleportation we know of is possible involves particles already in an 'entangled' state, but the Star Trek teleportation does not make use of quantum entanglement, but relies on matter deconstruction and reconstruction - something we are not capable of doing even if it is theoretically feasible.

• Like 2

What about the conscience, spirit or soul? I read a story about a man, who weighed multiple persons at the exact moment of death to record the weight of their souls. He discovered repeatedly that 23 grams was the difference. His device instantly changed at the moment of the soul's departure. We would need a way to mark the atoms to verify that it was transmitted and not copied.

Well that's the fun question to speculate about, isn't it? What if teleportation ends up proving that the soul exist and all the people the process is tried on end up in a persisted vegetative state? What if they act fully normal, does this mean there is no such thing as a soul or does the soul simply "hone in" on the new location of the body? Or is a new soul, just having the same memories as the old one?

I have heard the 23 grams stuff a couple of times, but I have a bit of a problem with it. I'm not quite sure if the soul is matter and has a weight, it's after all not of the physical world. If we accept that it has a weight, wouldn't we also be obliged to revive all those old superstitions about whether its possible to swallow a departing soul by being in the same room as a dying person or regard dream catchers as highly dangerous instruments that can imprison our souls?

Its interesting. If teleportation becomes reality then its possible to expect that we could break dying person down to molecular level and 'fix' his hearth or brain so when he gets materialized again, he would feel refreshed and healthy. I mean, if u have technology to turn a man into molecules then u are capable of making changes to those molecules - in any way u like.

As far as I remember they can do that in Star Trek, but never do it because it would remove a lot of potential for drama that a television show relies on. They even save a copy of a person's blue-prints in the computer and could theoretically assemble a new one each time someone dies, but then you can't have characters die, even if their actors decide o leave or want a pay rise. The transporter was a fun device full of potential they rarely used.

And yup, the medical benefits teleportation would bring mankind would be truly awesome. Cancer? We just teleport you and leave the tumors/cancerous cells in the old location!

And beyond that those changes you mention: Making a person younger. Copying a person to replace a dead one or even to create a double. Perhaps change aspects by not filtering out color pigments ("curing" somebody of being red haired? Permanently bleaching someones hair?)

And then we get into the real dangerous,mad scientist territory: slicing person apart by teleporting only portions of their body, scattering somebody's molecules through the cosmos, teleporting somebody's entire skin off, fusing two people into one by mixing their molecules, fusing a person with an animal...

As much as I like Star Trek, teleportation is just something I would not want to do!

Your last name McCoy by any chance?
  • Like 1

I was watching a show about string theory where teleportation was discussed and all of the physicists that talked about it were unanimous saying they would never do it personally.

• Like 1

@Orphalesion "As far as I remember they can do that in Star Trek, but never do it because it would remove a lot of potential for drama that a television show relies on. They even save a copy of a person's blue-prints in the computer and could theoretically assemble a new one each time someone dies, but then you can't have characters die, even if their actors decide o leave or want a pay rise. The transporter was a fun device full of potential they rarely used.

And yup, the medical benefits teleportation would bring mankind would be truly awesome. Cancer? We just teleport you and leave the tumors/cancerous cells in the old location!"

ST-TNG actually did do that to Diana Muldaur's character in an episolde where she caught some type of disease on an outpost. In that episode, Riker found a hair in a brush to allow Geordie to reconstruct Dr. Pulaski as she was before she contracted the disease. Geordie needed the hair as he stated the "patterns" were not stored in the transporter after the end of transport.

I thought this was shown to work before?

I'm with Rich from Star Trek - I don't like the teleporter. )

What about the conscience, spirit or soul? I read a story about a man, who weighed multiple persons at the exact moment of death to record the weight of their souls. He discovered repeatedly that 23 grams was the difference. His device instantly changed at the moment of the soul's departure. We would need a way to mark the atoms to verify that it was transmitted and not copied.

Repeatedly? His experiment was a failure.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

• Like 3

Didn't we learn anything from watching The Fly?

• Like 1

Didn't we learn anything from watching The Fly?

I say prove it scientificly and they would not lie on TV, next your going to agree that mermaids are not real! geesssee!

This is inconclusive openion, Nothing proven! They never end the argument as proven fasle, they just dont believe it is.

(Snopes=and i quote:) What to make of all this? MacDougall's results were flawed because the methodology used to harvest them was suspect, the sample size far too small, and the ability to measure changes in weight imprecise. For this reason, credence should not be given to the idea his experiments proved something, let alone that they measured the weight of the soul as 21 grams. His postulations on this topic are a curiosity, but nothing more.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp#1ah6gGOEgvpdrVGM.99

Sorry Sundew , was trying to quote my friend, Orphalesion.

What they have done is transfer a bit of information from one place to another and when I say a bit it is like a one or a zero. The information got from one place to the other but both particles were already in existence. They didn't send matter to another place, so even if they scaled it up somehow, the original would still be in its own place. They could only just make a "clone".

Sorry Sundew , was trying to quote my friend, Orphalesion.

Whew! I was thinking, what did I say?!?! No problem! Ha, ha!