Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It must not have been my night to die

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Mickey Location: Spokane, Washington

This event took place in Spokane Washington, sometime around the year 2000, to the best of my recollection. I was working for a Chevron station, in a convenience store / gas station. I had the closing shift on this particular night and was getting all of my work done so that I could close and be on ...

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/111520/it-wasnt-my-night-to-die

• Like 2

Wow, phew, that was a close call. You were very very lucky that's for sure.

• Like 1

Before I began carrying a concealed weapon I was a lot quicker to give back attitude when a rude person messed with me. Now I am more patient and tolerant because if a situation escalated and the weapon had to be used I have to be able to show I was doing EVERYTHING I could to defuse it.

• Like 2

Ok, without being disrespectful, I find this a nice "story", I think the facts have been exaggerated. he clearly states it was dark and yet can give a full description of the car down to the rust? He knows exactly what the driver is doing and the drivers reactions are to the police, far too much detail for someone to have gathered while driving a car, hence why it sounds like a story, although some may be based on the truth, but exaggerated all the same to add excitement.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

It wasn't exaggerated in the slightest. I could see him and his car, in sections because of the street lights we were driving under in that part of town. I could clearly see everything he was doing except for what it was that he had in his lap. I guess it was my mistake for not clearly stating that it was dark outside, as in it's night time, however there was lighting in sections where we were driving. Another failed part of mine was to mention how easy it was to drive and keep pace with him, and pretty much just keep my eyes on him, as he was right next to me. It's not the smartest way to drive, but trust me, if you were placed in the situation I was, you wouldn't keep your eyes off the guy either.

I don't know why, but this post was edited. They left out the ending of the story, and I'm not sure why.

>

A week later, the same guy pulls into the station while I'm working, and gasses up his car. At this time my boss is on her knees getting into the Safe. I'm kicking her saying, Paula, that's the guy that wanted to shoot me the other night. I always parked my car in front of the station, so that's how he was able to figure out that I worked there. OH, he just drove off without paying for his gas. In Spokane, it's commonly known that anytime someone drives off without paying, they will take it out of the employees check, but not at the station I worked at.

He couldn't successfully shoot me, so he figured he would just try to dip into my pocket book, but my boss doesn't do that. This guy needs to seriously give it up. G-Boy your not.

He might however eventually become famous on America's Dumbest Criminals at the rate he's going.

Edited by mickeymudge
  • Like 1

Wait, what? Employers think it is justified to take the price of a theft of petrol out of an employees pay check? What exactly is it that they expect an employee to do? Place themselves in harms way and chase the non payer around town to collect the price of the petrol from them? That is just plain ludicrous and encouraging unsafe work practices in the extreme. There really needs to be a law against some so exploitative imo.

Ok, without being disrespectful, I find this a nice "story", I think the facts have been exaggerated. he clearly states it was dark and yet can give a full description of the car down to the rust? He knows exactly what the driver is doing and the drivers reactions are to the police, far too much detail for someone to have gathered while driving a car, hence why it sounds like a story, although some may be based on the truth, but exaggerated all the same to add excitement.

Well then you probably wouldn't believe that this guy, was so crazy, that the story didn't end there. I just shared what happened after this. Not sure why, but my story seems to have been edited.

Wait, what? Employers think it is justified to take the price of a theft of petrol out of an employees pay check? What exactly is it that they expect an employee to do? Place themselves in harms way and chase the non payer around town to collect the price of the petrol from them? That is just plain ludicrous and encouraging unsafe work practices in the extreme. There really needs to be a law against some so exploitative imo.

I'm used to it. It's just something you get used to. At least in Texas, you can legally shoot em.

I'm used to it. It's just something you get used to. At least in Texas, you can legally shoot em.

A person can get used to all sorts of behaviour that is just plain wrong, like an abused spouse that stays in the relationship. I'm glad I live in a country where it is not something anyone has been expected to get used to. Yes, employees in some retail settings, mostly in gaming and bar tending must have balanced tills or pay the difference but in general retail and any type of work environment where it is not reasonably in the employees capacity to prevent theft, they are not expected to place themselves in harms way. In today's world of surveillance cameras etc, there is no excuse whatsoever - the employer should be chasing after the registration and reclaiming the cost from the thief not an innocent of the crime.

A person can get used to all sorts of behaviour that is just plain wrong, like an abused spouse that stays in the relationship. I'm glad I live in a country where it is not something anyone has been expected to get used to. Yes, employees in some retail settings, mostly in gaming and bar tending must have balanced tills or pay the difference but in general retail and any type of work environment where it is not reasonably in the employees capacity to prevent theft, they are not expected to place themselves in harms way. In today's world of surveillance cameras etc, there is no excuse whatsoever - the employer should be chasing after the registration and reclaiming the cost from the thief not an innocent of the crime.

Well, ya, you have a valid point, and one that I have tried to express to our system and public. But the fact of the matter is, I live in a capitalist country. People with money get to do unthinkable things, and that's how it's always been. Just recently we ended up voting in a president that noticed there is a problem, because the countrys employees don't even have health insurance. I just got a message from an old friend on FB how upset she is because she now has to pay tax for her employees health care. I told her HEY, if you paid them enough money to begin with, they wouldn't need welfare healthcare. You pay them $10 an hour and expect them to be able to pay for rent, food, utilities, car upkeep, gas, insurance, health insurance, and medication. But I'll bet you sure have a cow when they call into work sick. What she wants is a slave. but even back when our country had slaves, at least they were taken care of when it came to health care. So NOW our country has health care.

The whole capitalist thing seriously gets under my skin. I was even fired from a job, for trying to get my car alternator fixed at a shop, when I worked at an alternator shop. Employers think that just because they employ you and pay you a crappy wage, that they also control you outside of work. It's happened to me SEVERAL times.

Edited by mickeymudge
  • Like 1

Well, ya, you have a valid point, and one that I have tried to express to our system and public. But the fact of the matter is, I live in a capitalist country. People with money get to do unthinkable things, and that's how it's always been. Just recently we ended up voting in a president that noticed there is a problem, because the countrys employees don't even have health insurance. I just got a message from an old friend on FB how upset she is because she now has to pay tax for her employees health care. I told her HEY, if you paid them enough money to begin with, they wouldn't need welfare healthcare. You pay them $10 an hour and expect them to be able to pay for rent, food, utilities, car upkeep, gas, insurance, health insurance, and medication. But I'll bet you sure have a cow when they call into work sick. What she wants is a slave. but even back when our country had slaves, at least they were taken care of when it came to health care. So NOW our country has health care.

The whole capitalist thing seriously gets under my skin. I was even fired from a job, for trying to get my car alternator fixed at a shop, when I worked at an alternator shop. Employers think that just because they employ you and pay you a crappy wage, that they also control you outside of work. It's happened to me SEVERAL times.

Yes our species predisposition to negate the rights of others if it's suits their hip pocket to do so, is really quite disgusting.

well, it is in the 'submitted stories' category. at least there's that
  • Like 2

well, it is in the 'submitted stories' category. at least there's that

Touche`

• Like 1

Yes our species predisposition to negate the rights of others if it's suits their hip pocket to do so, is really quite disgusting.

Here is a prime example of how bad things in this country can be. Way back about 1996, I was in college at the time for Electronics. We had two girls in our class total. I was over talking to one, one day, just to check on her and see how she is doing. At the time we had just gotten back from a rally, where the college had put together an educational event about drugs and so forth. So she starts revealing to me that she was out at a restaurant last night with her young daughter, and just couldn't help but over hear, and listen to this conversation by two lab technicians. These two technicians were talking about the fact that they have certain employers that have paid them extra money under the table to illegally test for things other than drugs. Now this is clearly a violation of anyones rights, but the fact is, once again, money prevails. It's the sick and twisted capitalist country we live in. Now what they were testing for could have been anyones guess. There is DNA through testing so perhaps they were simply looking for the "high risk" gene. This gene would most likely tell you if the person is bipolar, even if they don't know, themselves. In that, those people tend to be depressed, and have mood swings, and make very poor judgment calls when it comes to money. People that end up living on disability because of bipolar condition, have to actually have a payee, to keep track of what they are using their money for. They might have even been able to test for HIV. maybe the employer is homophobic. They could probably test for any signs of autism, or learning disabilitys.

Now the funny thing is, I'm a clean person, I despise drugs, but you can see why I might refuse a drug test.

Edited by mickeymudge

It used to be that way here too (British Columbia) until a gas station attendant was run over and drug to death trying to stop a 'gas and dash'. Now you have to pay before you pump - problem solved!

• Like 3

It used to be that way here too (British Columbia) until a gas station attendant was run over and drug to death trying to stop a 'gas and dash'. Now you have to pay before you pump - problem solved!

Isn't it just sick how someone has to die for people to realize there is a serious problem. At least BC did something. Here in the USA, the poor guy would have made the paper and the guy would have been arrested if he ever got caught, and the family of the victim probably would have sued the guy as well. But in order for our town, state, or country to mandate a change for protection, it would have to be an endemic problem, and even then it might be months or even years before anything was enacted.

It reminds me of the early years that the Westclock corporation was actually painting their clocks with uranium. They worked in rented areas and paid insanely good wages. The problem was that they either knew that uranium was deadly, or didn't care, or just wanted to get their product on the market like most businesses do. Unfortunatly the employees were playing with, and handeling the uranium. Painting it on their teeth, all over their body, which of course later on revealed itself results causing cancer and disfigured body parts. They were under the impression that this glowing green goo was harmless. Westclock would pick up and move locations ASAP anytime they would catch wind of the Feds looking for them. They would open up shop elsewhere and start production again

To this day, there are still clocks in peoples homes with uranium dials that will actually give off a reading to a geiger counter.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know what I would do in a situation like that. I think I would have panicked and probably have gotten into an accident. :no:

You never really know what you would do, until you are placed in that situation. I have never been one to run away in the face of fear. Of course this isn't always good. If it's a bear, maybe you should run. If the person has an ak-47, maybe you should run. It's just the sort of thing where you need to assess all of the possibility to make sure your not taking unnecessary chances. For some reason the way I figured this was, if he did have a gun, he would still have to aim, after he pulled it up. I would have just slammed on my breaks. If he had an assault rifle, I was probably dead no mater what I did. That tap on the shoulder was probably telling me, this is not a time to take chances.

• 5 months later...