Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA aims to land humans on Mars by 2035

UM-Bot

The space agency has emphasized that sending humans to the Red Planet is still its primary mission.

At the recent European Lunar Symposium at the Natural History Museum in London, chief NASA scientist Dr Ellen Stofan and deputy chief technologist Jim Adams indicated that a manned mission to Mars may be possible by 2035.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267108/nasa-aims-to-land-humans-on-mars-by-2035

• Like 1

Good to see there are some positive steps being taken in our continued exploration of space. I must admit that one the shuttle was scrapped i feared we had perhaps taken a step backwards. Be interesting to see how this progresses, although, maybe I read it wrong but I don't feel too comfortable with NASA pulling asteroids NEARER to us lol :/

I'll mark the year on my calender in case I have dementia by then.

• Like 2

All well and good and it would certainly advance science and knowledge, but still, it looks to be a lifeless world and man will be confined in elaborate tin cans. The difficulties of getting there, staying there and hopefully returning to Earth one day would seem to take us much farther into the future than 2035, but technology can change quite a bit in 20 years.

• Like 1

The only exciting thing about trapping yourself on a barren hell hole like Mars would be the fact that as a human, you can explore and dig with a good old fashioned shovel to see what (if anything) lies beneath the sands and dried up lakes.

Could be fossils or whatever considering Mars was once like Earth.

Imagine the hysteria if a skull of some kind was found or the foundations of buildings.

The thing about Rovers is, they have to follow a path and are slow as hell.

It would be a hilarious day in human history if a £5 shovel discovered something big that a multi-million pound piece of machinery did not.

Edited by Sean93

Only thing can be linked to this article that also heard by the site that NASA had many plains about mars that they had some kind of program that they chose many people go to mars and be trained and tested for many things for the aid. NASA has talked about in there site few times and mars programs that housing on mars and etc by the sective so many people to do the study and etc to make mars very habitable for human life and other things. I’m not sure you guys heard about it was around year ago or so sadly I haven’t found resent links deeper in the project on mars of housing.

(If you guys find the link please do share it with others)

Unfortunately I'll be an old lady then :(

Same here, i'll be 62 then :(

• Like 1

Bubble burst incoming:

Never going to happen, we won't have the money to pay for it, the US is already trillions in debt and adding to people to its welfare roster hand over fist and not just US citizens but from all parts of the world, not going to be enough funds to pay for that let alone keep a space program afloat.

• Like 2

A private space agency is already planning to colonize Mars by 2025. NASA is slow.

It's not an agency, it is a basically a reality TV show. They intend to send the colonists on a one way journey dispensing with such niceties as bringing the crew members back home.

NASA rather likes to return it's astronauts safely to the Earth.

It may be a case of the tortoise and the hare, but I've read Aesop and I know who my money is on.

• Like 2

Sustain the dream for those of us who will be old or passed ... barriers are there for a reason. They are not to keep us out. Rather, they are there to show us how much we want the dream.

Here is a new idea, build a prison on mars. We could multi task more efficently by monitoring what the prisoners do to survive, if they survive. It would be a reality show, science expedition, a study in evolution and reduce prison over crowding all in one.

Here is a new idea, build a prison on mars. We could multi task more efficently by monitoring what the prisoners do to survive, if they survive. It would be a reality show, science expedition, a study in evolution and reduce prison over crowding all in one.

Yes because, as the Nazis showed us, scientific experimentation on prisoners is a very moral thing to do.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 4

Same here, i'll be 62 then :(

I will also be 62 then.

I just hope i will see a manned Mars mission in my lifetime, i was born too late to experience the moonlandings :cry:

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how this progresses, although, maybe I read it wrong but I don't feel too comfortable with NASA pulling asteroids NEARER to us lol :/

It seems way off target to catch an asteroid and throw it into Moon orbit, that in itself might take until 2035 to achieve. Are NASA even serious? Surely the quickest way to get to Mars is a straight line.

I will be dead by then lol.but we will never see humans on mars its all

science fiction

• Like 1

It seems way off target to catch an asteroid and throw it into Moon orbit, that in itself might take until 2035 to achieve. Are NASA even serious? Surely the quickest way to get to Mars is a straight line.

Are you serious? Do you know anything at all about planetary motions and orbits and all that?

Are you serious? Do you know anything at all about planetary motions and orbits and all that?

A straight line as in not deviating from the goal. What I dont know is I how necessary NASAs asteroid acrobatics would be.

A straight line as in not deviating from the goal. What I dont know is I how necessary NASAs asteroid acrobatics would be.

I don't either; I would guess it has something to do with using the asteroid's momentum to save fuel and time on the trip. They have done things kinda like that on a number of the way out missions with the moon and even the earth as well as other planets.

I wonder if this will be the official Mars One rescue mission?

... Surely the quickest way to get to Mars is a straight line.

You are aware that Mars is not stationary right? Planets are in motion and getting to them requires a bit more than a straight line.

You might want to look at this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circles/Lesson-4/Kepler-s-Three-Laws

Edited by Lilly
addition

You are aware that Mars is not stationary right? Planets are in motion and getting to them requires a bit more than a straight line.

Why does a mission to Mars require first catching an asteroid, and throwing it into moon orbit?

Edited by taniwha

Why does a mission to Mars require first catching an asteroid, and throwing it into moon orbit?

Why did Apollo perform docking in space and orbiting the moon prior to a landing on the moon? Answer this question and you'll have the answer to that question (hint: needed skill sets and testing of equipment).

Why did Apollo perform docking in space and orbiting the moon prior to a landing on the moon? Answer this question and you'll have the answer to that question (hint: needed skill sets and testing of equipment).

Sure, good luck to them catching an asteroid before 2035...