Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dolphins Guide Rescuers To Drowning Girl

Still Waters

One day, my research team and I were following a school of bottlenose dolphins near shore as we do on a regular basis in the waters off Los Angeles, California. We just wrapped up our photo-identification work and were moving on to take video of dolphin social interactions and enter data on behavior.

The dolphins were still feeding in circle near shore, when suddenly, one individual changed direction heading out toward deeper water.

http://newswatch.nat...rl/#close-modal

• Like 5

That young lady will have a great story to tell her children and grandchildren.

• Like 5

Pretty amazing

• Like 1

Maybe another dolphin communicated to the pod with beeps, cracks, and whistles and alerted them of the situation. The pod left after recieving the 411 on the girl, leading the team to the target area. There are so many reports of un- believable dolhin interventions.

• Like 3

From the article:

"I cut the engine and called the lifeguards on the VHF radio. They told us not to do anything until they arrived on site but it was our unanimous feeling that if we didn’t act immediately, the girl would die. We decided to ignore lifeguard’s instructions, instead pulling the frail and hypothermic body on board."

Why on Earth would the lifeguards tell people not to get the girl out of the water?? This seems insane! Good thing the researches actually had brains.

Also, I sincerely hope she gets the help she needs and recovers positively from her suicide attempt.

Edited by Purplos
  • Like 4

What a story, I hope she gets the help that she needs and recovers from this ordeal...dolphins are fantastic...

• Like 5

Who knows if they did it on porpoise or not (sorry couldn't resist, I shall submit myself for punishment at your leisure). Either way it is a great story and just one of those wonderful little anecdotes that nature gives us every now and then.

Edited by Silent Trinity
  • Like 6

Thank goodness all turned out so well. The young lady can thank her lucky stars that some very intelligent and caring beings saved her life that day, human and otherwise.

• Like 5

Fascinating story. Yes, these kinds of anecdotal stories pop up on a regular basis, but what surprised me most was the first comment on that National Geographic article, and I quote;

"what really happens with animals is that God allows animals to react to the prompting of angels to come to the aid of humans. Animals are creatures of God and humans, through Christ life and redemption on the cross, have become children of God. there is a distinction. God has given humans doinion over animals. god made animals for humans , not humans for animals. sometimes humans get that reversed!"

Clearly we have some more work to do, /sigh.

• Like 4

From the article:

"I cut the engine and called the lifeguards on the VHF radio. They told us not to do anything until they arrived on site but it was our unanimous feeling that if we didn’t act immediately, the girl would die. We decided to ignore lifeguard’s instructions, instead pulling the frail and hypothermic body on board."

Why on Earth would the lifeguards tell people not to get the girl out of the water?? This seems insane! Good thing the researches actually had brains.

Also, I sincerely hope she gets the help she needs and recovers positively from her suicide attempt.

More than brains, they had common sense and courage enough to disregard what the authorities had said.

No surprise that the dolphins could or would do this. Animals have powers that humans do not. :gun:

Edited by Babe Ruth
  • Like 1

Really makes ya think.. don't it?

• Like 2

Who knows if they did it on porpoise or not

yeah i laughed at this one

Thankfully animals are dumb and lack souls making it OK with governments to preform horrible experiments on them...

• Like 2

i hope if i'm trying to kill myself by just floating around until i drown that some dolphins will happen about and save me too.

seriously.

• Like 1

I searched but couldn't find any more to this 1974 story. Allegedly a women in pacific ocean floated on the back of a turtle for two days before being rescued.

• Like 1

I searched but couldn't find any more to this 1974 story. Allegedly a women in pacific ocean floated on the back of a turtle for two days before being rescued.

:unsure:

Who knows if they did it on porpoise or not (sorry couldn't resist, I shall submit myself for punishment at your leisure). Either way it is a great story and just one of those wonderful little anecdotes that nature gives us every now and then.

It's OK. Somebody had to.

• Like 1

i hope if i'm trying to kill myself by just floating around until i drown that some dolphins will happen about and save me too.

seriously.

I would hope you would seek help and not try to kill yourself. This I think is the easy way out . Just think of the family and friends you leave behind to pick up the pieces.... They are ones that suffer....

• Like 1

From the article:

If the lifeguards advice was followed I can imagine the Dolphins face palming watching this unfold...

After bringing the boat 3 miles to save the girl they would watch as the humans done nothing but waited for the girl to drown. The dolphins could then all swim away discussing the intelligence of humans with more evidence that we are thick as s* *t.

Modern day health and safety...

When approaching the scene of an accident the first priority is 'do not put yourself in danger'. As ridiculous as it sounds the lifeguards are just following procedure, they where not there to evaluate the situation so they advise caution.

• Like 3

So they can sense that someone is in trouble "3 miles away" ?

A number of people believe that dolphins have some sort "brain waves" that somehow know a person is in distress. Dolphins are so far advanced in marine life

• Like 1

Thankfully animals are dumb and lack souls making it OK with governments to preform horrible experiments on them...

........and thats related about a girl drowning because?

• Like 1

It's so disgusting that man doesn't get it. We seriously don't get it. They are sentient beings and have the right to their natural lives.

Wow, remarkable story. Thanks for posting this.