Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon

Still Waters

A leading neurosurgeon has controversially claimed that cyclists who wear helmets are wasting their time.

Henry Marsh, who works at St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, said that many of his patients who have been involved in bike accidents have been wearing helmets that were 'too flimsy' to be beneficial.

http://www.telegraph...in-surgeon.html

There was a programme on t.v a while ago about cycle helmets, some did the job, but many of the cheaper ones did not....because, they were too flimsy.

If I decide to ride above 12 mph constant, I wear my helmet. But if I joyride, going much slower, I don't wear one.

Edited by Realm

I haven't been able to get the story to load, but I will say I think I owe my life to a motorcycle helmet. I was riding behind the driver on a dirt road when we came up to the edge of a paved road, and there was a couple inches of bump that we passed over, causing the cycle to flip backward and I hit my head hard on a rock. I shudder to think what if I hadn't had that helmet on.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to get the story to load, but I will say I think I owe my life to a motorcycle helmet. I was riding behind the driver on a dirt road when we came up to the edge of a paved road, and there was a couple inches of bump that we passed over, causing the cycle to flip backward and I hit my head hard on a rock. I shudder to think what if I hadn't had that helmet on.

This is about bicycle helmets, but I agree, motorcycle helmets are a must for me.

• Like 1

This is about bicycle helmets, but I agree, motorcycle helmets are a must for me.

I have seen some ride their motorcycles without helmets,back in my younger and dumber days they saved my life on a few occasions.With actual bike helmets i would have to agree with this surgeons views,some i have seen people wear you could slap them in the back of the head and give them a concussion.

Mr Marsh is an idiot. He flat out stated at the end that he will run a red light as a cyclist. I'm sure that's perfectly safe to do. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A leading neurosurgeon has controversially claimed that cyclists who wear helmets are wasting their time.

Henry Marsh, who works at St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, said that many of his patients who have been involved in bike accidents have been wearing helmets that were 'too flimsy' to be beneficial.

http://www.telegraph...in-surgeon.html

The problem is the helmet. Saying wearing them is a waste of time is going to far -- just get a good one. In Vietnam everyone wears motorbike helmets, and there are standards about them, and death rates have been cut sharply. I know I had an incident where I was riding behind someone and we went over a bump too fast and I went over backward and hit the back of my head. If I hadn't had a helmet on I would have been blood everywhere. As it was I got up and brushed myself off.

I would like to add something to that -- this points out that sometimes (not always -- all systems have their advantages and disadvantages) living in an autocratic country is a good thing. If the society in Vietnam had had its way, motorbike helmets would never have come into use. They are a nuisance -- they are hot, mess your hair, expensive, have to be carried around or stored somewhere -- but the powers in Vietnam went over the numbers and decided to make them mandatory.

Now that it has saved so many lives, public opinion, which at first was not just opposed but hostile, has come around.

There's bicycle helmets for $15 and bicycle helmets for $200. Then again, an Arai motorcycle/race car helmet can cost $4000.

I always assumed the helmets were more for minor falls to prevent bumps or a small fracture. Anything more severe and a helmet isn't going to do anything to protect against the g-forces and brain trauma, your brain is still going to rattle around your head like jello.