Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychic ability is science

FlyingAngel

I've been thinking.. if a smartphone could send a signal up to space, 1000 miles away, then why shouldn't our brain ?

Empathy, gut feelings, telepathy connections... maybe all of them are true?

What do you think?

• Like 1

I've been thinking.. if a smartphone could send a signal up to space, 1000 miles away, then why shouldn't our brain ?

Empathy, gut feelings, telepathy connections... maybe all of them are true?

What do you think?

I agree. We are not phones.

Also..empathy is not a psychic ability. It is just a fancy way of saying "I can see you are feeling sad/happy/angry..".

Gut feelings are also a fancy way of saying "I think such and such will happen if nothing is done to correct this situation."

It would be nice if these abilities were real but so far any studies that have been done are conducted by those who are too influenced by what they want to be true and thus their results are often slanted and doctored to support their desires.

Again no one has been able to tell me just what real use and real advantage these abilities have in ones real life.

So far it seems that any incident with so-called "abilities" has been easily defined by normal, mundane explanations.

• Like 2

You didn't think this out very well did you?

But hey if fish can breathe underwater then so can you..

• Like 3

I agree. We are not phones.

Also..empathy is not a psychic ability. It is just a fancy way of saying "I can see you are feeling sad/happy/angry..".

Gut feelings are also a fancy way of saying "I think such and such will happen if nothing is done to correct this situation."

It would be nice if these abilities were real but so far any studies that have been done are conducted by those who are too influenced by what they want to be true and thus their results are often slanted and doctored to support their desires.

Again no one has been able to tell me just what real use and real advantage these abilities have in ones real life.

So far it seems that any incident with so-called "abilities" has been easily defined by normal, mundane explanations.

Yeah we are not phones. But a brain emitting radio wave for 1000 miles distance is not impossible, right? It's just that we don't have anything to capture and read it, right?

You didn't think this out very well did you?

But hey if fish can breathe underwater then so can you..

So as you say, our brain has no ability to emit radio wave?

Well there are things in this world that share common things : human can't breath underwater, so does a cat?

Edited by FlyingAngel

Science is a system for analyzing things and producing measurable results that anyone (or anything) can replicate with a high degree of success.

If I push a rock off a cliff, it falls at 32ft/second (squared) in Earth's atmosphere, no matter where I am, no matter how old I am, no matter if the rock is pushed by a snake or by the wind or Albert Einstein. Likewise, we can measure the strength of muscle cells (science) whether the muscle is from a fish, a clam, an earthworm, or Albert Einstein (poor Albert!) and we get results that are true for every fish, clam, earthworm, or human.

If it "only works some times and only if the conditions are exactly right and only for special people, then it's not science.

• Like 2

So as you say, our brain has no ability to emit radio wave?

Well there are things in this world that share common things : human can't breath underwater, so does a cat?

You should try to breathe underwater.

Science is a system for analyzing things and producing measurable results that anyone (or anything) can replicate with a high degree of success.

If I push a rock off a cliff, it falls at 32ft/second (squared) in Earth's atmosphere, no matter where I am, no matter how old I am, no matter if the rock is pushed by a snake or by the wind or Albert Einstein. Likewise, we can measure the strength of muscle cells (science) whether the muscle is from a fish, a clam, an earthworm, or Albert Einstein (poor Albert!) and we get results that are true for every fish, clam, earthworm, or human.

If it "only works some times and only if the conditions are exactly right and only for special people, then it's not science.

It's science as long as it falls under the law of physics.

You should try to breathe underwater.

I tried and I can't.

A monkey can climb a tree, I bet you can too (with a little of training) :)

Edited by FlyingAngel

I tried and I can't.

A monkey can climb a tree, I bet you can too (with a little of training) :)

It doesn't fall under the laws of physics. No part of the brain generates radio waves and no part could transmit them even if it did. I suggest brushing up on some high school science.

• Like 1

Maybe we can... there's the observer effect. Who says it has to be radiowaves though?

Edited by Mikko-kun

Yeah we are not phones. But a brain emitting radio wave for 1000 miles distance is not impossible, right? It's just that we don't have anything to capture and read it, right?

But is it plausible? Possibility and plausibility are two different things.

Psychic abilities however, doesn't fall under the umbrella of physics.

It cannot be categorized since it has never been actively observed to the point that it can be distinguished as being separate from any other biological function.

Edited by Ryu

No, science also includes anthropology, paleontology, archaeology, biology, medicine, informtatics, psychology, chemistry, mathematics, geology, computer science, statistics, planetology, oceanography, astronomy (but not astrology), meterology, cosmology, gerontology, toxicology, zoology, botany, genetics, radiochemistry, geomorophology, vulcanology and a whole list .... you can find a big (but incomplete) list here if anyone's curious.

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Science/types-of-sciences.html

The problem with "psychic science" is you can't make it happen reliably and frequently. I can make a computer program (for instance) and it will perform (once I debug it) every time I run it. OR (if you're looking for personal talent type things), that portion of the population which has "perfect pitch" can sing a "middle C" note every single time you ask them (no matter where you are or who asks) and it will be the precise same frequency every time you ask for that note (and scientists have been studying whether this is genetic or training.)

The point is that a rare talent works every single time someone asks them to perform and with measureable results.

• Like 1

It doesn't fall under the laws of physics. No part of the brain generates radio waves and no part could transmit them even if it did. I suggest brushing up on some high school science.

Well, I say waves in general. It doesn't have to be "radio". Scientist is developing machine that relies on brain waves...

High school science doesn't say or does say about waves emitting, it just doesn't mention it at all

No, science also includes anthropology, paleontology, archaeology, biology, medicine, informtatics, psychology, chemistry, mathematics, geology, computer science, statistics, planetology, oceanography, astronomy (but not astrology), meterology, cosmology, gerontology, toxicology, zoology, botany, genetics, radiochemistry, geomorophology, vulcanology and a whole list .... you can find a big (but incomplete) list here if anyone's curious.

http://www.altiusdir...f-sciences.html

The problem with "psychic science" is you can't make it happen reliably and frequently. I can make a computer program (for instance) and it will perform (once I debug it) every time I run it. OR (if you're looking for personal talent type things), that portion of the population which has "perfect pitch" can sing a "middle C" note every single time you ask them (no matter where you are or who asks) and it will be the precise same frequency every time you ask for that note (and scientists have been studying whether this is genetic or training.)

The point is that a rare talent works every single time someone asks them to perform and with measureable results.

Well then I think this is about neurology and radiochemistry... It's about brain and waves emitting...

But is it plausible? Possibility and plausibility are two different things.

Psychic abilities however, doesn't fall under the umbrella of physics.

It cannot be categorized since it has never been actively observed to the point that it can be distinguished as being separate from any other biological function.

I called it psychic, maybe it's not about psychic at all, it's just undiscovered science : brain, radio, waves emission. I heard somewhere say that everything in this world is made of waves..

Edited by FlyingAngel

Well, I say waves in general. It doesn't have to be "radio". Scientist is developing machine that relies on brain waves...

If you mean the electricity that is transmitted along neurons, maybe. But those aren't waves at all, they're basically small impulses travelling along your nerve cells. Nothing is broadcast. Frankly there's nothing in the brain generating anything that could be broadcast, nothing to send out broadcast, or even receive broadcasts.

High school science doesn't say or does say about waves emitting, it just doesn't mention it at all

Can't possibly imagine why.

The fact that it's not science because it's not reproducible does not mean a thing is not true or accurate, however. It just means that it can't be scientifically proven. Yet. As science advances, as instrumentation develops, it may, in the future, be able to explain "psychic" phenomena. A couple of hundred years ago science believed illness was caused by demons or bad humors. Then the microscope was invented that led to a new & better understanding of our world. Today science is dealing with dark matter, unsure of what it is, how it came to be, it's functions, but pretty sure the universe is full of it. Eventually they'll find some answers. Science doesn't know everything.

I remember this story about the middle ages. The educated, scientific folk believes that the tides were caused by a great dragon that lived in an underwater cave. When the dragon left the cave the tide receded, when it occupied the cave, the tide advanced. They scoffed at the ignorant peasants who insisted on maintaining the belief that the tides were affected by the moon.

• Like 1

Yeah we are not phones. But a brain emitting radio wave for 1000 miles distance is not impossible, right?

Er.. yes, that is impossible actually.

You're just inventing physics.

• Like 2

Er.. yes, that is impossible actually.

You're just inventing physics.

Why impossible? We have everything to create radio waves.

How do you make a radio wave?

When a direct electrical current is applied to a wire the current flow builds an electromagnetic field around the wire. This field sends a wave outward from the wire. When the current is removed, the field collapses which again sends a wave. If the current is applied and removed over and over for a period of time, a series of waves is propagated at a discrete frequency. If the current changes polarity, or direction repeatedly, that could make waves, too. This phenomenon is the basis of electromagnetivity and basically describes how radio waves are created within transmitters.

Other kinds of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, are made by natural processes such as the nuclear reactions in a star.

http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/projects/vss/docs/communications/3-how-do-you-make-a-radio-wave.html

From the definition, only an electrical current and a wire are enough to create radio waves

Why impossible? We have everything to create radio waves.

http://www.qrg.north...radio-wave.html

From the definition, only an electrical current and a wire are enough to create radio waves

And where does any of that exist within the human body? What hidden organ could transmit those waves if they were generated, and what organ could receive them if they could be transmitted. You can't just say "It's possible" without putting thought into what's already known and considering every single bit of it. Sorry but it doesn't work like that. Science isn't democratic, your ideas don't get validation just because you have them.

• Like 2

And where does any of that exist within the human body? What hidden organ could transmit those waves if they were generated, and what organ could receive them if they could be transmitted. You can't just say "It's possible" without putting thought into what's already known and considering every single bit of it. Sorry but it doesn't work like that. Science isn't democratic, your ideas don't get validation just because you have them.

Well, we have an electric current in our brain, and neurons are wires that could transmit electrical signals. By definition, it's enough.

We don't care at the moment what organ could receive them, but here is the thing, we have enough conditions to create a wave signal.

Well, we have an electric current in our brain, and neurons are wires that could transmit electrical signals. By definition, it's enough.

Well, no its not! There is a world of difference betwwen an electric current and an electromagnetic radio wave.
We don't care at the moment what organ could receive them, but here is the thing, we have enough conditions to create a wave signal.

The fact you're willing to skip over the basics is apparent. Hell, you can't even get the basics right, yet sewm to be so certain you have this "science" thing down. Mein gott, no wonder the world can't make progress.

• Like 1

Well, no its not! There is a world of difference betwwen an electric current and an electromagnetic radio wave.

The fact you're willing to skip over the basics is apparent. Hell, you can't even get the basics right, yet sewm to be so certain you have this "science" thing down. Mein gott, no wonder the world can't make progress.

Just try to read the definition above. It clearly says that an electric current flows through a wire create an electromagnetic radio wave :whistle:

I wasn't informed when the definition of the word science was changed....Someone update me

• Like 1

Just try to read the definition above. It clearly says that an electric current flows through a wire create an electromagnetic radio wave :whistle:

There are no wires in the human brain despite what you may think,your theory is nonsense

• Like 1

We generate a bio-electromagnetic field and the human brain is affected by magnetic fields (to a degree based on the strength of the magnetic field). It is possible that we can influence each other through this. I highly doubt that it could be from miles away. If we could then it's a different mechanism that allows it. I have not experienced any conclusive proof. However the strange fact that women's periods synch up makes me wonder.

I'm all for the possibility of psychic abilities. Empathy is psychology, I think it's mirror neurons (not sure feel free to correct me). I believe intuition and instinct account for some psychic abilities. Then again life has it strange randomness.

• Like 1

Well, its obvious you don't care about getting the basics right.

On a fundamental level this is just completely wrong. The brain does create waves due to electrical signals - but these are orders of magnitude quieter than what we consider to be standard "radio waves". Most standard radio waves exist between 50-1,000 mhz - at the top level thats a billion cycles a second. The human brain, when emitting waves, weighs in at around 10-100 cycles a second. Can you see the problem here?

• Like 2