Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychic ability is science

FlyingAngel

I've been thinking.. if a smartphone could send a signal up to space, 1000 miles away, then why shouldn't our brain ?

Empathy, gut feelings, telepathy connections... maybe all of them are true?

What do you think?

High-mindedness is one thing,

twisted control is another.

Control by remote is unspeakable.

Wired brains are unconscionable

enough as is it:

New Mind Reading Research Aims to Synchronize Humans

Who wants his hands moved by another?--

triggered on impulse in place of customary reserve?

Edited by aka CAT

High-mindedness is one thing,

twisted control is another.

Well, sure. Cause and effect.

Control by remote is unspeakable.

Wired brains are unconscionable

Tell that to the guy stuck in the wheelchair.

Well, no.

More accurately, "New Mind Reading Research Aims to Understand How Humans Synchronize With Each Other"

Who wants his hands moved by another?--

The guy trying to perform emergency first aid on his buddy without the faintest clue as to what he is doing while simultaneously holding a cell phone to his ear and listening to the 911 operator trying to talk him through it?

triggered on impulse in place of customary reserve?

The synchronization the linked article is talking about is pretty much one and the same. They aren't creating a new form of artificial synchronization. They are studying and attempting to recreate the same synchronization that humans already use with each other.

• Like 1

The neurons in our brain use electricity.

A radio transmitter uses electricity

Therefore our brains should be able to transmit data as a radio wave.

OK, lets try that again.

Our muscles are controlled by electricity

A dockyard loading crane is controlled by electricity.

Therefore, by the OP logic, we should all be able to lift up 200 ton container vessels by hand and - yeah and verilly - stretch our arms by 100 meters (300 feet) and load them directly into the hold of a ship.

A radio transmitter has to have LOTS of power to radiate. Hundreds, or even thousands, of Watts. Our brains can't produce even a fraction of that.

No biological species on earth has ever adapted to produce radio signals.

The neurons in our brain use electricity.

A radio transmitter uses electricity

Therefore our brains should be able to transmit data as a radio wave.

OK, lets try that again.

Our muscles are controlled by electricity

A dockyard loading crane is controlled by electricity.

Therefore, by the OP logic, we should all be able to lift up 200 ton container vessels by hand and - yeah and verilly - stretch our arms by 100 meters (300 feet) and load them directly into the hold of a ship.

A radio transmitter has to have LOTS of power to radiate. Hundreds, or even thousands, of Watts. Our brains can't produce even a fraction of that.

No biological species on earth has ever adapted to produce radio signals.

Exactly, according to this site http://wiki.answers....nerate?#slide=1 We, human body, produce 11k Watt/hours, which is equivalent to 200 light bulbs of 60 Watt

Edited by FlyingAngel

Our muscles can actually lift a surprising amount of weight. A muscle fully activated can lift the back end of a car. It's called hysteric strength. Some individuals (strong men) can lift nearly a ton of weight. I've gotten angry at work trying to move some equipment (forklift was broke) using a 6 foot crowbar, and bent it in half. I've trained my nervous system to access more muscle fibers. So I'm stronger than I look.

Have you ever consider how little electricity a cell phone uses? Perhaps synchronizing with someone's bioelectromagnetic field could explain telepathy or even DMILS.

If Psychic abilities existed then there would be signs of the ability in other species such as other Primates, as a species doesn't just magically evolve a new ability or appendage etc over night. Take for example our bipedal stance, when we look back at our ancestors we can see how we gradually became better adapted top walk upright, our ancestors didn't just wake up one day and suddenly develop the ability of bipedal locomotion.

Evolutionary speaking Psychic abilities wouldn't really make much sense as we are a social and very vocal species, making the idea of us being Psychic redundant. We can communicate perfect well with each other as we are, without having an extra form of communication thrown into the mix. As generally speaking traits that are more useful to a species will flourish whereas those not needed will atrophy, for example we have good colour vision but a poor sense of smell because sight was more useful to our ancestors in finding food than sense of smell. So if we had Psyhic abilities then we would most likely see it affect our vocal communication as we would not be required to vocalise in as much detail and yet we still have one of the most complex languages in the animal kingdom.

• Like 1

If Psychic abilities existed then there would be signs of the ability in other species such as other Primates, as a species doesn't just magically evolve a new ability or appendage etc over night.

Paranormal scientists have argued that "instinct" is some form of psychic ability in animals. They've never been able to prove this.

Do those 200 light bulbs generate radio waves? No they do not. And that's why we don't either.

Are we talking about energy/electricity or if one object can generate radio wave? I think you missed the point.

Are we talking about energy/electricity or if one object can generate radio wave? I think you missed the point.

You were talking about both which means you're missing the point.

Exactly, according to this site http://wiki.answers....nerate?#slide=1 We, human body, produce 11k Watt/hours, which is equivalent to 200 light bulbs of 60 Watt

Okay, first, as a general rule, don't trust things from "answer" sites, like Answer.com. Crowdsourcing is fine for opinions or leads, but you are setting yourself up for failure using it as actual knowledge. Even when the information is correct, it is often misunderstood or misapplied.

Such as in this case, where this little blurb is copied and pasted over and over and over again, by people using it to support the idea that the human body generates electricity like the gasoline generator you bought at Home Depot. Put simply, no, that is not what the article states. The article is referring to the energy a person could generate by converting that fat into work, by turning a hand crank or running on a treadmill. It is not talking about directly turning fat into electricity inside the body (for what possible purpose would the human body do such a thing?).

Our muscles can actually lift a surprising amount of weight. A muscle fully activated can lift the back end of a car. It's called hysteric strength. Some individuals (strong men) can lift nearly a ton of weight. I've gotten angry at work trying to move some equipment (forklift was broke) using a 6 foot crowbar, and bent it in half. I've trained my nervous system to access more muscle fibers. So I'm stronger than I look.

There's multiple concepts being mixed together here. There are indeed people who can lift very heavy weights. Nothing even close to a ton, of course, and it requires long, intense, regular training to perform relatively limited and isolated maximum efforts, however the results are fairly impressive. The heaviest deadlift is currently a bit over 1100 lbs, with clean and jerks and snatch records hovering in the 400-500lb region regularly. This, of course, is the result of training and growing muscles conventionally, at unconventional levels.

Hysteric strength is a different issue. Its existence is in doubt, as there are no examples of cases where a person has lifted more weight than their body is physically capable of doing, and it is biologically illogical (why would the resistance of a car being lifted off the ground have less priority than the resistance of a muscle tendon attached to a bone?). There is, however, within the body a system that allows for something similar: The sympathetic system, which has, as one of its functions, the well-known Fight-or-Flight adrenaline response.

Adrenaline doesn't actually make you stronger. A doddering old granny or a 10-year old child cannot lift cars and whatnot simply due to an adrenaline rush. Adrenaline is more like a NOX boost for the engine, both flooding the muscles with energy and stimulants and flooding the brain with pain-suppressors. And, like NOX, it comes with a heavy price. The average adult is capable of lifting the back end of a car off the ground, but doesn't do so because they don't want to damage themselves. What is often not mentioned with these stories of extraordinary strength one hears on the news is the day after, where the hero is laid up with muscle tears, tendon ruptures, compressed discs, hernias, and various other results of over-taxing their bodies capabilities.

Have you ever consider how little electricity a cell phone uses?

Which is a product of the metallic wires and consistent energy supply it uses, metal being infinitely more efficient at conducting electricity than organic cells and batteries far more regular, powerful, and clean, than the haphazard ionic discharges of neural synapses.

Perhaps synchronizing with someone's bioelectromagnetic field could explain telepathy or even DMILS.

The human brain's bioelectromagnetic field barely manages to extend to the scalp. You need a huge galumphing machine just to detect it it when in full contact with the scalp. It's easier to just detect the ionic voltage changes with an EEG than to try and map the magnetic field.

Edited by aquatus1

We are talking about:

• The difference between a brain synapse using a protein imbedded in its cell membrane to physically shuttle NA+ and K+ ions in and out of the cell till the voltage differential is great enough to cause an instantaneous cascade discharge (between -40 and -70 millivolts), compared a regular source of steady, clean, and optionally variable output electricity such as cell phone batteries.
  • The difference between a magnetic field created by metal wires with steady current and intentional alignment (which results in both a controllable, directional, field, with optional variable power capacity), compared to the magnetic field created by randomly aligned synapses firing off at random intervals, with random voltage differentials (which is why you need around 50,000 or so synapses firing off just to get a minimum reading).
  • The difference between the current flow potential of a metal wire (which is limited almost solely by the heat destruction of the wire due to resistance) vs. the current flow through the axon of a synapse, which is limited to the occasional cascade discharge before having to set up for the next, meaning it doesn't really have a current to speak of. Nor, for that matter, do all synapses have axons to begin with. Nor are axons tied together in a loop for current to flow through.

We also haven't talked about it much, but there is a difference between a magnetic field and a transmission. Magnetic fields don't dynamically transfer information. They are more like stamps, stamping a static magnetic field on top of something and influencing it. Transmissions are dynamic, and the information can be changed continuously, which is why we can use them for cell phone conversations.

The human body does not transmit...anything, radio or otherwise. The heart and the brain, the only two parts of the body with bio-electric components, do generate magnetic fields, but only the heart's magnetic field can extend outside the body any significant distance. Not only is the heart's bioelectric generator much more powerful than the brain's (after all, its primary purpose is to regularly and for an entire lifetime stimulate the strongest muscle in the body to physically pump your viscous blood through the 60,000 miles of circulatory system in your body), it is also fairly close and relatively unshielded from the outside world, unlike the heavily fortified brain.

• Like 1

Its existence is in doubt, as there are no examples of cases where a person has lifted more weight than their body is physically capable of doing

It can be done. My lower back is a constant reminder of what the mind can push the body to do. What happens is that tendons tear and bones break. You damage the body. When you learn how to intentionally break past mental barriers you can do some amazing feats of strength. You've just got to do something that strengthens the tendons, ligaments, and bones to handle the increase neuro-muscular force. I can sum it up in a single word, Motivation.

Edited by XenoFish

**I am SO sorry! I thought I was responding to you, but I had accidentally clicked on "Edit" instead of "Quote"! I rebuilt your post as well as I was able to, but I wasn't able to retrieve the links you posted. Again, my sincere apologies, and I hope I didn't miss anything you considered critical.**

Wow really? I find that pretty hard to believe but will leave it at that and wish you the best :)

The mod Edit button is on the same bar as the Quote button. It's...not the first time this has occurred to us (my second time though).

Wow really? I find that pretty hard to believe but will leave it at that and wish you the best :)

It does happen, it has happened to me before. Mods have a slightly different looking interface to members. We have additional buttons on that bar and when in edit mode it looks identical to reply mode. It's easily done and Aquatus is not the kind of person to do something like that deliberately.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• 1 month later...

The reason why abilities are not usually proven to work during testing or what have you, is because abilies arent meant to be shown. If you truly believe then your abilies will manifest themselves whether you realize it or not. You are not supposed to show them off or talk about them not even make a profit off of them. If you dont believe "psychic" abilities are real then so be it.

The reason why abilities are not usually proven to work during testing or what have you, is because abilies arent meant to be shown. If you truly believe then your abilies will manifest themselves whether you realize it or not. You are not supposed to show them off or talk about them not even make a profit off of them. If you dont believe "psychic" abilities are real then so be it.

lol sorry nope. A crazy person also thinks her dellusions are true, but unless she can proof it it is not true. That is science.

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 1

The reason why abilities are not usually proven to work during testing or what have you, is because abilities aren't meant to be shown. If you truly believe then your abilities will manifest themselves whether you realize it or not. You are not supposed to show them off or talk about them not even make a profit off of them. If you don't believe "psychic" abilities are real then so be it.

Either something is real or it is not. None of this "believe" stuff; a lot of people don't "believe" they had any aptitude for music, for example, yet when they play the instrument of their choice, their proficiency is quite apparent.

Conversely there are plenty of people who truly believe they are wonderful singers yet once they open their gobs, all the bats in a 1/2 mile radius fly at warp speed to the next county.

This whole "you're not supposed to even talk about them" sounds awfully cult-ish to me.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 2