Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian sleep epidemic baffles scientists

UM-Bot

Dozens of people in two remote Russian villages have been falling asleep for up to six days at a time.

The abandoned Soviet town of Krasnogorsk and the village of Kalachi in Kazakhstan have been the site of a peculiar malady that has seen up to 60 people mysteriously falling asleep and failing to wake up for days.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/267186/russian-sleep-epidemic-baffles-scientists

• Like 3

Very strange, especially if all the obvious tests have been carried out. Perhaps its some new crop insecticide that has found its way into the food chain or something they are injecting local cows with so it's in the milk. Or a prescription medication that is getting urinated out into the local water supply but not being filtered out the usual way. As its local to only that area it's very possibly a local food or drink (maybe moonshine vodka!). In fact as it is only local I bet it is a cheap fresh product that is not worth while transporting to sell. So you are looking primarily at dairy products, fish or meat. As whats injected into cows is normally legal and has to pass certain standards then that leaves fish. The fish living in a local lake or river could easily be contaminated by illegally dumped chemicals.

So my bet is it's in the fish.

-EDIT-

Google Map shows a few large bodies of water in the immediate area. https://www.google.c...d388d926024784d

-2nd EDIT- I think I'm looking at the wrong place, no way that area is abandoned.

Edited by bulveye
  • Like 1

Impossible. Nothing strange ever happens in Russia. If by strange you mean normal, that is.

• Like 7

I want this disorder! I could use some rest.

• Like 5

Me too I've had chronic insomnia all my life

• Like 4

snapback.pngmaximusnow, on 02 June 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

Me too I've had chronic insomnia all my life

Me, three! That sounds like heaven to me. It's rare for me to get 3 hours in a row of sleep at night.

• Like 4

In the USSR era, Krasnogorsk was a secret and 'closed' town run directly from Moscow.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/siberian-experts-say-they-can-solve-the-cause-of-mystery-sleeping-disorder/

The town is not completely abandoned, but this could very well have something to do with the mines, who knows what is coming out of the ground and for how long? But its going to be a tricky one to get the truth out of this if it turns out that man has once again created a disaster.

Wonder how long the authorities knew about this before it reached the media and 'got out'?

• Like 6

A kremlin conversation went like this: "Have you tried turning them off and then on again?"

This was great! Thanks for the smile :)

• Like 4

probably drinking to much vodka ..

Edited by alfonso
  • Like 4

This story is making me sleepy, wake me up when it's over. *sounds like an experimental weapon

• Like 1

Its Russia. Its snow, vodka, bears on unicycles and more snow. What the Hell would you do?

Definitely an odd local phenomena..... My first thought would have been local water source or perhaps airborne contaminants.

And we are really really really sure this is nowhere near Chernobyl? lol.

Beyond that, perhaps the Russian government are carrying out there own tests on a pocket of unsuspecting innocent citizens,

And we are really really really sure that the KGB disbanded?

• Like 1

Something is experimenting with humans.

Edited by Twin Peaks
  • Like 1

Maybe the place is just incredibly boring?

yep, I think boring too much into the ground in the wrong places has a lot to do with it.

• Like 3

yep, I think boring too much into the ground in the wrong places has a lot to do with it.

That's along the lines i was thinking free,maybe some kind of gas leak though i'm not sure what kind would cause these symptoms.When i hear stories like these i think of the Oracle of Delphi reasoning.

• Like 1

That's along the lines i was thinking free,maybe some kind of gas leak though i'm not sure what kind would cause these symptoms.When i hear stories like these i think of the Oracle of Delphi reasoning.

This link will give an idea of where the leaks maybe coming from:

In the USSR era, Krasnogorsk was a secret and 'closed' town run directly from Moscow. Around 6,500 citizens lived here, their work linked to the uranium mine

http://siberiantimes...eping-disorder/

Large-scale uranium mining operations throughout the world have had a significant impact on indigenous peoples and their ways of life, raising questions concerning economic development of "remote regions" in relation to the impact on traditions life styles of these cultures, and resulting health and environmental hazards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_mining_debate

This sleep thing could be a result of much of this, many things like this do not show up til years later, sometimes in the next generation.

• Like 2

Thanks for the links free :tu:

• Like 1

A virus possibly. Bad drugs? Mass hysteria more likely.