Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian sleep epidemic baffles scientists

UM-Bot

Maybe there is absolutely nothing to do in that town except sleep.

Me too I've had chronic insomnia all my life

New weight loss diet. Eat one day. Sleep 6. Repeat.

If the issue is uranium leakage from the mines, wouldn't there be some increase in radioactivity noticed in the patients or water supply? Uranium doesn't decay that quickly.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

Me too I've had chronic insomnia all my life

Try some "chronic"...

• Like 3

It may come as a surprise to the two or three who have read my posts, but not all of my content is of a serious nature. That said, I'd like to be a little more serious in this reply.

Even though I've never been there and know nothing of the case except for that article, I would suspect the possibility of a low level of carbon monoxide poisoning in that area. That might not explain the sleeping-for-days part, but it might explain the drowsiness or sleepiness part.

• Like 1

It may come as a surprise to the two or three who have read my posts, but not all of my content is of a serious nature. That said, I'd like to be a little more serious in this reply.

Even though I've never been there and know nothing of the case except for that article, I would suspect the possibility of a low level of carbon monoxide poisoning in that area. That might not explain the sleeping-for-days part, but it might explain the drowsiness or sleepiness part.

The government should test the air for CM. Maybe put CM detectors in the homes.

• Like 1

I suspect this is going to be diagnosed as a case of mass hysteria or a variation, much has happened many times with other groups, though most are more likely to be school-age children. One or a small handful of people get sick (quite possibly as a result of any of the suggested causes other posters listed here) and start exhibiting some symptoms, and it becomes a psychological epidemic, though most of the time, only the most pronounced symptoms tend to repeat in the "reflectors" (that acquire a psychosomatic form of the actual medical condition), with more general stress, anxiety, nausea and flu-like symptoms being more common among the larger majority of people who have contracted this temporary condition.

I believe its chemicals in the air. Anyway where's that button?!

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

I dont think it is mass hysteria.. this isnt like affecting high school kids but the general population, most cases of what the media published as being mass hysteria, end up turning out to be something else. Besides it is only one symptom and a serious one at that (it is so unnatural to sleep 6 days without waking up!!) which doesnt sound like hysteria cases. Unless someone has gone catanonic.. someone with mental health issues would wake up. Hysteria people are very anxious!, they wouldnt just sleep and sleep.

As there is nothing really I can think of which causes this symptom of a person unexpectively out of the blue, just falling asleep without getting other symptoms too and it lasting up to 6 days, I dont think that fits anything so I think this may be something new.

Is the population there being used to test a new experiemental weapon? That wouldnt be a too weird possibility, we all know governments have done testing of things onto unexpecting populations.

I have another thought thou based on my own experience and knowledge of something. Maybe its a new virus? Think of average viruses, most of them last up to 6 days. A virus can hit a small population quite hard and be localised (there's been many outbreaks of things like that). A virus wouldnt single out any age group.

I have ME/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). With this in my case I can fall asleep quite suddenly (Ive fallen asleep with my head on the sink while trying to do dishes). Sometimes my desire to sleep cames on sudden and is overwhelming.

With ME/CFS, Ive come across others in the ME/CFS forums who have got it and can tell you the very moment it hit. They will say they were good one moment and sick the next and never recovered. Those ones Ive heard them describe it as "suddenly it was like something turned on" just like the comment of the guy in this article.

Thou this other thing hasnt got all the symptoms of ME/CFS, maybe there is something related going on.. note most ME/CFS cases start out from a virus. So maybe this new thing is a new mutated virus that only causes people to sleep but then the people are getting over it? (or are they.. the article didnt make it clear if everyone was completely recovering or if they were having reoccurring bouts of it.. as happens in ME/CFS).

Edited by sea-dove

I suspect this is going to be diagnosed as a case of mass hysteria or a variation, much has happened many times with other groups, though most are more likely to be school-age children. One or a small handful of people get sick (quite possibly as a result of any of the suggested causes other posters listed here) and start exhibiting some symptoms, and it becomes a psychological epidemic, though most of the time, only the most pronounced symptoms tend to repeat in the "reflectors" (that acquire a psychosomatic form of the actual medical condition), with more general stress, anxiety, nausea and flu-like symptoms being more common among the larger majority of people who have contracted this temporary condition.

Hi have you seen an article which says these people with this thing in Russia are getting nausea, flu-like symptoms and other symptoms other then the just suddenly falling asleep one and staying asleep for up to 6 days? If so can you please post the link as I'd love to read it. (I didnt think it could be hysteria as due to the only one symptom and a serious one at that).

Most hysteria causes have later been found out to be other things eg poison in the water, toxic spillage caused or a missed illness .. usually the stories arent followed up by the big media when the cause is finally found as its old news so general public stays with the idea it was hysteria. The symptoms you said there, many of those causes which were said to be hysteria at the time turned out to be ME/CFS outbreaks eg the big outbreak in Lake Tahoe in the 1980s is one example of this.. the CDC said it was mass hysteria at first!! Nowdays its a well known ME/CFS outbreak and most of those people are still sick with the illness.

Edited by sea-dove

There are many applicable examples that one could look to as possibe similar events, keeping in mind environment and social structure and local events of import can create various symptoms. Below are a selection at random from varous artilcles dealing with similar but not identical "outbreaks" of "coversion disorder" which could be at work in Russia.

http://www.today.com/health/teen-girls-mystery-illness-now-has-diagnosis-mass-hysteria-1C9381970

From http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/collective-hysteria.htm

In 2006, a mysterious illness began to affect girls at a boarding school in Chalco, Mexico, near Mexico City. The school, which is run by Roman Catholic nuns, is

one of 10 in Asia and Latin America operated by a charity called World Villages for Children in Asia. The girls, ages 12 to 17, showed strange symptoms: difficulty walking, fever and nausea. After the girls returned from a 10-day Christmas break, the illness spread. Eventually 600 out of the 3,600 girls at the school showed symptoms. Still, no one could figure out what was making the girls sick, and public health officials were called in.

After conducting numerous tests, surveying the facilities and interviewing some of the afflicted girls, doctors have decided that a psychological disorder is responsible. Its official name is mass psychogenic disorder, also called collective hysteria, mass psychosomatic reaction or mass hysteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria (and various famous cases)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/may/26/teen-girls-mass-hysteria-new-novel-tackles-rare-mysterious-illness

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/neurologic_illness_or_hysteria_a_mysterious_twitching_outbreak/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/magazine/teenage-girls-twitching-le-roy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/world/americas/16mexico.html

You'll see from the chart below, in one group's research, drowsiness/fatigue presents in 31% of the patients considered to be part of a convergance group. The link to the page is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness

Jones compiles the following symptoms based on their commonality in outbreaks occurring in 1980–1990:[4] Symptom Percent reporting Headache 67 Dizziness or light-headedness 46 Nausea 41 Abdominal cramps or pain 39 Cough 31 Fatigue, drowsiness or weakness 31 Sore or burning throat 30 Hyperventilation or difficulty breathing 19 Watery or irritated eyes 13 Chest tightness/chest pain 12 Inability to concentrate/trouble thinking 11 Vomiting 10 Tingling, numbness or paralysis 10

Very cool I bet it has something to do with the area or something they are eating.i would not mind sleeping for a few days lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why isn't Putin doing anything to stop this?

Maybe because he is planning it? *Dr. Evil pinkie, muahah.*

• 5 months later...

Very sad, looking at they place they don't have much but their health. Doesn't look like their health is up to much either so maybe the authorities should do the right thing and move them and demolish what is left.

Out on a limb time......

They're not really sleeping. They are metaphysically existing in a parallel universe offering them more pleasure, comfort, happiness than their actual town. In a sense they escape to "Xanadu". And they can only remain there until such time as their physical bodies require maintenance.

Where do I sign up?

It seems to me if somebody slept for 6 days the would die unless some how they had water, maybe by IV. Also I need to go to the bathroom every so often, 6 days your bladder would burst.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

at time 11:25

" stong rain followed by strong wind...."

It sounds like some chemitrail had caused this coma like effect!

Sounds nothing like an imaginary chemtrail.