Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Precognition

Duke Wellington

Allow me to share some experiences:

While studying for my degree I had an end of module exam to take. Getting a good grade mean't a lot to me (2.1 or 1st) so I wanted to do well in my test. I experienced multiple deja-vu experiences in the week leading up to my exam. I sat it, flunked it and had to retake the module to get the grade I wanted.

While working at a previous company I got deja-vu experiences in the week leading up to surprise redundancies being announced including mine. My job mean't a lot to me and it was disappointing to be let go.

So, I have noticed on literally dozens of things which have gone badly for me during my life that I've had deja-vu in the days leading up to it. In fact I'm certain I can tell in advance when something bad will happen. Is anybody else the same?

My thoughts are that if I could deliberately work myself into a state of mind where the outcome of a future event means something to me I could predict it. If it is going to fail to occur then surely I could trigger deja-vu experiences leading up to it?

• Like 3

What about the times you had deja vu and nothing bad happened? You probably didn't notice. Its called confirmation bias.

• Like 4

What about the times you had deja vu and nothing bad happened? You probably didn't notice. Its called confirmation bias.

I dont get many deja vu experiences and something bad always happens after the ones I do.

I dont get many deja vu experiences and something bad always happens after the ones I do.

But of course you think that - that's what confirmation bias is. You don't realise you're doing it. You'll put meaning into the hits but literally not even register the misses.

I have that with the number 2012. Every time I look at my phone, it's 20:12. I can remember doing it countless of times over the last few months. Do I remember one single instance of looking at my phone and it being a different time? No. Because by definition, it doesn't register.

Which do you think is more likely - the above, or precognition abilities actually being real??

• Like 2

But of course you think that - that's what confirmation bias is. You don't realise you're doing it. You'll put meaning into the hits but literally not even register the misses.

I have that with the number 2012. Every time I look at my phone, it's 20:12. I can remember doing it countless of times over the last few months. Do I remember one single instance of looking at my phone and it being a different time? No. Because by definition, it doesn't register.

Which do you think is more likely - the above, or precognition abilities actually being real??

I think its real for me.

• Like 1

RapidMongoose,

Beware self-fulfilling prophecy.

Once, after complaining that my premonitions were uselessly

about bad things that I was incapable of preventing, I recalled

an exception. No sooner had I previously thought, "One day

I'll speed up and over this hill only to witness an unavoidable

accident taking place before me" than I knew such an accident

would take place that day. As I had a cushion between me

and the traffic behind me on the busy interstate highway then,

I nearly stopped just prior to my reaching the vanishing point over

the crest of the hill. Immediately, I saw a semi-truck jack-knife

and nearly run off the bridge ahead of me to where only the

outside lane was completely unobstructed.

That the traffic behind me was alerted by my brake lights was

conceivably the difference between a minor incident and a

major pile-up. As other vehicles topped the hill, I'd just enough

room to let off and on my breaks in order to allow the drivers

closest to me as well as myself to escape being rear-ended.

"Thank God!" I exclaimed and, vowing to habitually leave

myself ample drive time to drive slower, I prayed I never be

responsible for any road fatalities.

0:-) MGby.

Yes. If you learn to see and read the patterns then you can do something about it sometimes. Or at least not be so suprised.

I look and think of precognition as "Remembering the future." Time is poorly understood and I am not sure that at times some non-material things can move through time much as a boat can move up or down a river.

I have had about three precognitive experiences. In all three cases these were extremely detailed , for lack of a better word, "visions". They were not a De Je Vue type weird feeling or sudden uncomfortable feeling.

The first and most notable happened when I was a kid. I was about 7 or 8 years old. It was summer and I had gone to Vacation Bible School. The various mothers took turns taking us and picking us up. I was riding in the middle of the back seat. In those days there was no such thing as seat belts. The front seat had two ladies and a little girl between them and in the back were Allison who was a little younger than me and Bill her brother on the other side behind the driver.

I suddenly "SAW" a car running a stop sign at a high speed and hitting us in the side. A true high speed T-bone wreck. It scared the crud out of me. It was REAL and I knew instantly that it was about to happen. I knew that I had to move and hide so I scooted up and shoved my arm through the gap in the seat. The passanger tried to get me to sit back and I screamed for them to look out!

There was no way that I could have seen the car coming. The lady that lived on that corner had a hedge of just huge azaleas and that was possibly why nobody had time to even hit their brakes. It hit us HARD right on the rear passenger area. The car was spun and almost flipped by the impact. The doors flew open and all the glass on the passenger side shattered.

My eyes were closed and I just remember hanging on for all that I was worth. When things stopped moving I was alone in the car. Everyone else had been thrown out. One of the women was shrieking then the other one started and I could here Bill screaming. Allison was laying in the middle of the street and pretty skuffed up but Bill was standing with his hands on his face...or what was left of it. Cars didn't have safty glass in the side windows back then and the glass from the passanger side window had gone over his little sisters head, behind me and basically turned his face into hamburger.

His Mama was just freaking out and the other lady was even worse because they couldn't find her little girl that had been in the front seat between them. Both women had bad road rash but with a little girl missing and Bill torn up that was just sort of not an issue.

Then they found her. She was under the car with a tire on her lower body! Everyone was just coming apart at the seams trying to lift the car or just pull her out when a big box truck pulled up. A big black truck driver jumped out accessed the situation and got a long 2X12 out of the back of the truck that he used as a ramp. He lifted the car with that lever and pulled the little girl free. He was a true hero and left before anyone could even thank him or get his name.

I was somewhat in shock. I had tried to tell them but didn't know how. To this day I feel a little bad. Bill fortunately didn't lose and eye but he was horribly scarred and those were my scars. I should have grabbed him and pulled him down too but I did. I just reacted to something horrible that I saw and didn't understand.

This wasn't a FEELING. I remembered it as clearly BEFORE it happened as I did afterward. I guess that this was when I first started to understand that maybe I was a little different or something and have always sought answers. My Mama told me that it was my guardian angle that showed it to me to protect me. I didn't believe that. An angle would have helped everyone and not just me.

I think that at certain times things that make STRONG emotional effects on a person or persons that this "memory" can move across time in both directions like waves from a rock dropped in a puddle. Some people are more sensitive than others. We are all different. I had two more strong experiences like this. One when I was 8 or 10 and the third when I was in my twenties. Both were about life threatening things and both times I basically dodged a bullet.

I have done the various PSI tests and seem to "guess" better than most people. I studied Eastern Meditation techniques and have had a couple of remote viewing experiences that were unexplainable in normal ways. I once went 15 in a row predicting the roll of dice. The odd thing is that none of this works when I'm trying to do it for prophet. ???? The mental state that is required doesn't happen if I am not...ambivalent about it. I think maybe if you TRY to hard it messes things up.

I don't know the why or how but my personal experiences are not deniable or explainable without some sort of conection between the past the present and the future.

Yes. If you learn to see and read the patterns then you can do something about it sometimes. Or at least not be so suprised.

That is exactly it. Our brains are made to recognize patterns. For some it comes more easily. And yes, it's a good leg up.

Edited by Kasha

Actually, confirmation bias isn't necessarily about not registering the misses; rather, it is about dismissing the misses and only counting the hits. I myself have been testing myself with regards to psychic abilities for the past ten years or so, and believe me, I can recall many of the misses. However, outright assuming that someone is only remembering the hits and has completely forgotten the misses is quite presumptuous, because whether or not the person in question is psychic, who are we to tell them what they are and aren't experiencing? Could you be right? Of course! But again, neither you nor I know what truly goes on in his world; only he does.

On the other hand, some of his predictions honestly seem like they could be explained by his mind (in the case of his exams) telling him that he was not going to pass due to easily conceivable reasons; in short, his deja vu seems to be less about psychic ability and more about gut understandings based on a possibly subconscious analysis of available information.

• Like 1

Good point. When that happens to me I've come to understand that it is mostly my own fears & anxieties I'm projecting, not experiencing deja vu or pre-cognition.

Actually, confirmation bias isn't necessarily about not registering the misses; rather, it is about dismissing the misses and only counting the hits.

I think it can work either way. Not registering the misses is, essentially, the same as subconsciously disregarding them because they don't fit in with the preferred framework.

I myself have been testing myself with regards to psychic abilities for the past ten years or so, and believe me, I can recall many of the misses.

Well, that's because you're deliberately measuring them.

However, outright assuming that someone is only remembering the hits and has completely forgotten the misses is quite presumptuous, because whether or not the person in question is psychic, who are we to tell them what they are and aren't experiencing?

Given that psychic powers have never been proven, I think its a pretty good assumption that they don't exist. It then follows that we can make a good guess at what the given person is experiencing.

But again, neither you nor I know what truly goes on in his world; only he does.

Plain wrong, and exactly the reason why personal testimony is never counted as empirical evidence.

While studying for my degree I had an end of module exam to take. Getting a good grade mean't a lot to me (2.1 or 1st) so I wanted to do well in my test. I experienced multiple deja-vu experiences in the week leading up to my exam. I sat it, flunked it and had to retake the module to get the grade I wanted.

While working at a previous company I got deja-vu experiences in the week leading up to surprise redundancies being announced including mine. My job mean't a lot to me and it was disappointing to be let go.

So, I have noticed on literally dozens of things which have gone badly for me during my life that I've had deja-vu in the days leading up to it. In fact I'm certain I can tell in advance when something bad will happen. Is anybody else the same?

My thoughts are that if I could deliberately work myself into a state of mind where the outcome of a future event means something to me I could predict it. If it is going to fail to occur then surely I could trigger deja-vu experiences leading up to it?

To be honest, this sounds nothing like "deja-vu experiences", but much more that you are a "glass half-empty" personality. You worry about the negative outcomes of possible future events to the exclusion of considering the neutral or positive outcomes, and have confused this with "deja-vu".

Edited by Leonardo

I believe in precognition. I have times where I could have a sense of something happening. Sometimes it may have been months in the making but eventually it came to happen.

• Like 1

One of the things I've found out is when something happens, some people have a tendency to remember it in reverse. For example, I had a horse back straight into me once and go straight over the top of me, after which I scrambled up. For the absolutely longest time, I remember getting up off the ground first and THEN having the horse back over me. The fact that I ended up with a concussion obviously contributed to that false memory, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have a memory of something bad and perhaps physical happen to you and you remember that you foresaw it, it could be that because of the thing happening, you reversed the sequence of what happened. You would remember it (later think you knew it was coming) first, then you would experience it, instead of the other way around.

Precognition is common and easy to understand, when you consider 99% of humans repeat their days over and over for their entire adult lives. So it's easy to foretell their future and even what may or will occur tomorrow.

I should read more before I post, I just posted a very in-depth article on just this topic: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=268448

I've been able to change the outcome of future events as seen in dreams, in one such case that has now saved my life so I owe this part of the human expeirence a debt of gratitude. I've written several papers on the topic and have a wealth of information on it. It's a very real genuine experience that affects many people. I find it fascinating having had it land in my life, and affect my life in such a profound way.

Let me know if you have any questions as I'll do my best to answer based on what I've experienced and researched.

I should read more before I post, I just posted a very in-depth article on just this topic: http://www.unexplain...howtopic=268448

I've been able to change the outcome of future events as seen in dreams, in one such case that has now saved my life so I owe this part of the human expeirence a debt of gratitude. I've written several papers on the topic and have a wealth of information on it. It's a very real genuine experience that affects many people. I find it fascinating having had it land in my life, and affect my life in such a profound way.

Let me know if you have any questions as I'll do my best to answer based on what I've experienced and researched.

Do you believe you're precoging the future or actually deciding it?

Edited by RabidMongoose

Do you believe you're precoging the future or actually deciding it?

That is a very good question, and it is something that I have explored extensively through lucid precognitive dreaming back in the late 90′s. The answer based on those experiences seems to suggest that at a very deep unconscious level, dreams are a function of reality pre-processing like blueprints to probable futures which we will experience.

Dreams are a valid working example of how we are capable of simulating an experience of reality. They demonstrate our innate ability to create dream content using a higher form of thinking whereby our thoughts describe the content of the dream world.

I am not sure if you are familiar with simulation theory, or digital physics. Basically there are a group of physicists and mathematicians who based on the evidence emerging in quantum mechanics as well as mathematical theories suggest that the nature of our physical world is based on the principles of information that “renders” into what they call a virtual reality.

Nick Bolstrom argues based on a computer model of simulated 3D time/space and how we are evolving digital simulations of reality with computers that it’s quite likely that we are already existing in a type of simulation. Brian Whitworth a mathematician out of Massey University has published papers describing how reality could have emerged from information and itself be some type of virtual reality. The math supports this better than any other model and as he says… if the shoe fits.

Both of these very intelligent thinkers do not subscribe to the conscious model of the Universe. However, there are those who do such as Tom Campbell who says implicitly that awareness evolved as an information system the ability to produce virtual reality simulations and he is very sincere that we are already living in an “awareness simulated virtual reality”. He even talks about the idea that the Universe is like a big computer which fits in with John Wheeler’sIt from Bit” where he says the Universe is like a giant Turn Machine (computer). Dr. Fred Allan Wolf who is also known as Dr. Quantum and was in What the Bleep also says we are living in a virtual reality. He wrote a book entitled, “The Dreaming Universe” and I have spoken with him via e-mail where he confirmed his believe that the Universe itself is a type of dream.

If what Nick Bolstrom claims is true… that if something can simulate reality then we are already living in a simulation. We know from dreams that dreaming itself demonstrates how our awareness via consciousness can simulate reality in the form of a dream using thought. So the idea that our physical reality is not a physical system rather an information system that is effectively a “rendered final product” of information processing connects into simulation theory and digital physics.

My experience with lucid precogntiive dream content shows to me at least that these kinds of precognitive dreams are being created at run-time and somehow myself and those involved unconsciously are also acting participants on the creation of dream content. It’s not hard to see that we do in fact create dreams as we do this all the time and have done so since we are born. Dreams are for all intents and purposes a “Created” product of our unconscious mind. We can make the unconscious mind conscious and observe these processes through lucid dreaming like I have done. Thus it becomes even more apparent that even a precognitive dream is a created dream similar to our non-precognitive dream content.

So are we seeing the future, or deciding the future… based on the experience I had we are creating the future through a well defined rule-set which Tom Campbell describes as being imposed by the Larger Consciousness System as he calls it. Reality then is ultimately a co-creative system where we are all participating members of the content that we generate at that deep unconscious level. And it moves us back to very old esoteric beliefs that, “Thought creates reality”.

I subscribe to Tom’s model of physics and the idea that our reality is a simulation. This is also evident in the double-slit experiment where particles can behave like wave-functions (interference patterns) but when observed/measured they collapse the wave-function and behave like solid particles. Tom’s answer to this is that the larger consciousness system acting like a Universal super-computer “renders” the information into particles because that information is now being accessed. When that information is not being accessed, the larger system doesn’t need to render the particles because it’s more efficient to leave the information unrendered but still there as a probability distribution (wave-function).

If we look at how other physicists interpret wave-function collaspe we find David Bohm’sMany World Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics” where he believes due to probability many probable timelines are emerging and splitting off at a given second. Erwin Schrödinger proposed a thought experiment called “Schrödinger’s Cat” which challenges the idea that if the wave-function known as the Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics produces the possibility of probable realities. The thought paradox places a cat inside a box. The box has a vile of hydrocyanic poison and a hammer attached to a radioactive decay trigger. Due to the measurement problem the decay would create a state where the cat is either dead or alive in the box in two diverging probabilities based on superposition and the many world’s interpretation of quantum mechanics.

350px-Schroedingers_cat_film.svg.png

“The quantum-mechanical “Schrödinger’s cat” paradox according to the many-worlds interpretation. In this interpretation, every event is a branch point. The cat is both alive and dead—regardless of whether the box is opened—but the “alive” and “dead” cats are in different branches of the universe that are equally real but cannot interact with each other.”

Tom Campbell put forth this diagram showing that the Universe indeed creates fractal probabilities in time as the system tries to accomidate each of our intentions and choices that are defined by the constraints or rule-set that the system imposes on us.

probability.jpg

In this example, Tom describes the Universe in terms of probability that there is only one actualizing reality which we experience in the 3rd dimension, however there are many fractal probabilities of potential outcomes which do not actualize. Thus time and the future is probabilistic, even though it seems to those of us who have precognition that it may be deterministic.

My experience with precognition supports Tom’s theory that time is probabalistic as I’ve observed what happens when we interact with precognitive information in our dream content and that causes a type of causality effect between that probability node, and the actuality of it should it collapse from the probability distrubution of future events. Tom also describes that the larger consciousness system acting like a Universal Computer has to recalculate probabilities in run-time if we make certain choices that affect non-existent probabilities already pre-calculated out. This causes a spike in calculations where the system has to adjust to new potential probabilities.

To give you a working example of how strange probability actually is vs the actual timeline that we are all experiencing linked to my own precognitive dreams, the example that I talk about is the dream that saved my life where I had a precognitive dream about an accident where I lost control on an icy snow-covered hill and passed into oncoming traffic where a white pickup truck slammed into my driver’s side door waking me up from the dream. Acting on this dream out of concern that it “might be precognitive in nature” I bought 4 studded winter tires which I reasoned may change the circumstances of that event giving me better traction if I do find myself in the same situation as described in the dream. Sure enough, the dream was a literal precogntiive dream and I was faced with the same situation in waking life. I still had difficulty stopping my car but the tires worked, I stopped and the white pick-up truck drove past me instead of potentially ending my life as the dream illustrated.

This means, there is a probability based on the original dream content where I likely died and no longer existed. If we were on that probability as in, it actualzied then I likely would not be here to share this story with you. It’s like Final Destination or the Butter Fly effect but in my real life. So this means, we are now talking in the probability that actualized where I changed the circumstances and lived. Did the larger system present this information as a key insight to help me avoid a probable death? I believe so.

This also means the future has been altered as if I had not had that dream, the outcome would have been deterministic thus I wouldn’t be here. In a way, I’ve lived through Schrödinger’s cat thought paradox thanks to precognition.

Hope this answers the question as well as provides more information as to the nature of probability and time.

Edited by YouAreDreaming

That is a very good question, and it is something that I have explored extensively through lucid precognitive dreaming back in the late 90′s. The answer based on those experiences seems to suggest that at a very deep unconscious level, dreams are a function of reality pre-processing like blueprints to probable futures which we will experience.

Dreams are a valid working example of how we are capable of simulating an experience of reality. They demonstrate our innate ability to create dream content using a higher form of thinking whereby our thoughts describe the content of the dream world.

I am not sure if you are familiar with simulation theory, or digital physics. Basically there are a group of physicists and mathematicians who based on the evidence emerging in quantum mechanics as well as mathematical theories suggest that the nature of our physical world is based on the principles of information that “renders” into what they call a virtual reality.

Nick Bolstrom argues based on a computer model of simulated 3D time/space and how we are evolving digital simulations of reality with computers that it’s quite likely that we are already existing in a type of simulation. Brian Whitworth a mathematician out of Massey University has published papers describing how reality could have emerged from information and itself be some type of virtual reality. The math supports this better than any other model and as he says… if the shoe fits.

Both of these very intelligent thinkers do not subscribe to the conscious model of the Universe. However, there are those who do such as Tom Campbell who says implicitly that awareness evolved as an information system the ability to produce virtual reality simulations and he is very sincere that we are already living in an “awareness simulated virtual reality”. He even talks about the idea that the Universe is like a big computer which fits in with John Wheeler’sIt from Bit” where he says the Universe is like a giant Turn Machine (computer). Dr. Fred Allan Wolf who is also known as Dr. Quantum and was in What the Bleep also says we are living in a virtual reality. He wrote a book entitled, “The Dreaming Universe” and I have spoken with him via e-mail where he confirmed his believe that the Universe itself is a type of dream.

If what Nick Bolstrom claims is true… that if something can simulate reality then we are already living in a simulation. We know from dreams that dreaming itself demonstrates how our awareness via consciousness can simulate reality in the form of a dream using thought. So the idea that our physical reality is not a physical system rather an information system that is effectively a “rendered final product” of information processing connects into simulation theory and digital physics.

My experience with lucid precogntiive dream content shows to me at least that these kinds of precognitive dreams are being created at run-time and somehow myself and those involved unconsciously are also acting participants on the creation of dream content. It’s not hard to see that we do in fact create dreams as we do this all the time and have done so since we are born. Dreams are for all intents and purposes a “Created” product of our unconscious mind. We can make the unconscious mind conscious and observe these processes through lucid dreaming like I have done. Thus it becomes even more apparent that even a precognitive dream is a created dream similar to our non-precognitive dream content.

So are we seeing the future, or deciding the future… based on the experience I had we are creating the future through a well defined rule-set which Tom Campbell describes as being imposed by the Larger Consciousness System as he calls it. Reality then is ultimately a co-creative system where we are all participating members of the content that we generate at that deep unconscious level. And it moves us back to very old esoteric beliefs that, “Thought creates reality”.

I subscribe to Tom’s model of physics and the idea that our reality is a simulation. This is also evident in the double-slit experiment where particles can behave like wave-functions (interference patterns) but when observed/measured they collapse the wave-function and behave like solid particles. Tom’s answer to this is that the larger consciousness system acting like a Universal super-computer “renders” the information into particles because that information is now being accessed. When that information is not being accessed, the larger system doesn’t need to render the particles because it’s more efficient to leave the information unrendered but still there as a probability distribution (wave-function).

If we look at how other physicists interpret wave-function collaspe we find David Bohm’sMany World Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics” where he believes due to probability many probable timelines are emerging and splitting off at a given second. Erwin Schrödinger proposed a thought experiment called “Schrödinger’s Cat” which challenges the idea that if the wave-function known as the Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics produces the possibility of probable realities. The thought paradox places a cat inside a box. The box has a vile of hydrocyanic poison and a hammer attached to a radioactive decay trigger. Due to the measurement problem the decay would create a state where the cat is either dead or alive in the box in two diverging probabilities based on superposition and the many world’s interpretation of quantum mechanics.

350px-Schroedingers_cat_film.svg.png

“The quantum-mechanical “Schrödinger’s cat” paradox according to the many-worlds interpretation. In this interpretation, every event is a branch point. The cat is both alive and dead—regardless of whether the box is opened—but the “alive” and “dead” cats are in different branches of the universe that are equally real but cannot interact with each other.”

Tom Campbell put forth this diagram showing that the Universe indeed creates fractal probabilities in time as the system tries to accomidate each of our intentions and choices that are defined by the constraints or rule-set that the system imposes on us.

probability.jpg

In this example, Tom describes the Universe in terms of probability that there is only one actualizing reality which we experience in the 3rd dimension, however there are many fractal probabilities of potential outcomes which do not actualize. Thus time and the future is probabilistic, even though it seems to those of us who have precognition that it may be deterministic.

My experience with precognition supports Tom’s theory that time is probabalistic as I’ve observed what happens when we interact with precognitive information in our dream content and that causes a type of causality effect between that probability node, and the actuality of it should it collapse from the probability distrubution of future events. Tom also describes that the larger consciousness system acting like a Universal Computer has to recalculate probabilities in run-time if we make certain choices that affect non-existent probabilities already pre-calculated out. This causes a spike in calculations where the system has to adjust to new potential probabilities.

To give you a working example of how strange probability actually is vs the actual timeline that we are all experiencing linked to my own precognitive dreams, the example that I talk about is the dream that saved my life where I had a precognitive dream about an accident where I lost control on an icy snow-covered hill and passed into oncoming traffic where a white pickup truck slammed into my driver’s side door waking me up from the dream. Acting on this dream out of concern that it “might be precognitive in nature” I bought 4 studded winter tires which I reasoned may change the circumstances of that event giving me better traction if I do find myself in the same situation as described in the dream. Sure enough, the dream was a literal precogntiive dream and I was faced with the same situation in waking life. I still had difficulty stopping my car but the tires worked, I stopped and the white pick-up truck drove past me instead of potentially ending my life as the dream illustrated.

This means, there is a probability based on the original dream content where I likely died and no longer existed. If we were on that probability as in, it actualzied then I likely would not be here to share this story with you. It’s like Final Destination or the Butter Fly effect but in my real life. So this means, we are now talking in the probability that actualized where I changed the circumstances and lived. Did the larger system present this information as a key insight to help me avoid a probable death? I believe so.

This also means the future has been altered as if I had not had that dream, the outcome would have been deterministic thus I wouldn’t be here. In a way, I’ve lived through Schrödinger’s cat thought paradox thanks to precognition.

Hope this answers the question as well as provides more information as to the nature of probability and time.

Computer theories need to be taken with a pinch of salt. An IT expert creates a theory about electronics, decides to apply it to humans, finds it fits and then suddenly lots of people start reducing their minds down to being just a machine. Thats not what such research means, it means that a theory invented for computers also fits humans.

At University undergrads are trained how to create theories and theres two types of process in which this is done in. One is based on numerical information the other on information which can't be easily quantified. With numerical information hard data is collected, analysed and patterns revealed. With information hard to quantify then surveys, opinions, perceptions, intuitions are collected and a pattern within them looked for. The scrutiny process when making theories from information which is hard to quantify in numerical terms is more extreme to ensure no bias.

The mind is the hardest thing to understand because experiences are non-quantifable information. We shouldnt assume that transistors, simulated realities or quantum physics hold the answer for how it works. Again with each of these people start reducing their minds down to comply with what each means or is about. They each impose limitations on what we believe mind to be.

I was leaving the house Friday morning, and as I opened the door the thought popped into my head that I should take a lunch, because my noon appointment was going to call and cancel. Sure enough, she did. I'd never met her before, spoke to her on the phone just long enough to schedule the meeting. Next time that happens, I'm going to act on it instead of just paying attention to it. I have a friend who, one day, had a thought that she should take the long way home, which she did. About 10 minutes down the country road, she came upon her husband & son, who had just been in a minor car accident. These kinds of things happen, how or why I don't know, but I've learned to listen & hear that intuitive voice, or what ever it is, whether it says your plans today will change or lock all your car doors or cut this conversation short.

Edited by Beany

Computer theories need to be taken with a pinch of salt. An IT expert creates a theory about electronics, decides to apply it to humans, finds it fits and then suddenly lots of people start reducing their minds down to being just a machine. Thats not what such research means, it means that a theory invented for computers also fits humans.

At University undergrads are trained how to create theories and theres two types of process in which this is done in. One is based on numerical information the other on information which can't be easily quantified. With numerical information hard data is collected, analysed and patterns revealed. With information hard to quantify then surveys, opinions, perceptions, intuitions are collected and a pattern within them looked for. The scrutiny process when making theories from information which is hard to quantify in numerical terms is more extreme to ensure no bias.

The mind is the hardest thing to understand because experiences are non-quantifable information. We shouldnt assume that transistors, simulated realities or quantum physics hold the answer for how it works. Again with each of these people start reducing their minds down to comply with what each means or is about. They each impose limitations on what we believe mind to be.

That's a nice thoughtful reply. There is research that is out there conducted to disprove that the brain could function like a computer as this idea is often shunned by many thinkers. However, in the effort to disprove this idea, researchers at the University of Boulder discovered that the prefrontal cortex does behave like a binary information processing system similar to computers.

Digital computers operate by turning electrical signals into binary "on and off states" and flexibly manipulating these states by using switches. O'Reilly found the same operating principles in the brain.

"The neurons in the prefrontal cortex are binary -- they have two states, either active or inactive -- and the basal ganglia is essentially a big switch that allows you to dynamically turn on and off different parts of the prefrontal cortex," O'Reilly said.

- See more at: http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2006/10/05/part-human-brain-functions-digital-computer-according-cu-boulder-professor#sthash.0II4xafK.dpuf

Not only does the brain at the cellular level utilize a binary switching system, but inside of each neuron exists another binary switch system within the alpha/beta tublin in the exoskeleton of microtubules. These alpha/beta proteins are activated by bio-evenecant photons that stimulate the protein pairs as part of the cell's information processing.

- See: http://www.proteinlounge.com/biosyn/view_datasheet.asp?pname=TubB2A&genbank=&pfrom=plist

So the computer model fits our own neurology both at our critical region for our thinking and logic, but is also found in individual neurons.

Thus it is not a theory that the brain utilizes binary states similar to a computer using binary switches to process information. This eludes to the fact that the sensory apparatus encodes information in a type of binary sequence that is not like digital 0/1 rather active/inactive and is done so automatically. Information processing by the brain is self-evident in that our brain does render a digital composition in our sensory view of reality. This observed information is similar to how a computer takes information and creates a view based on that data so the user can have a meaningful relationship with the user-interface rather then seeing a sequence of binary strings.

If you are still holding on to the belief that physical matter is a solid state system like classical physics believes, modern findings in quantum mechanics has proven that matter emerges from wave-function (information) when the wave function collapses. While in the state of an interference pattern, sub-atomic particles are exhibiting a probability distribution and exist in a state of superposition. It is only when we measure or observe these sub-atomic particles that they collapse the wave-function and behave as solid particles.

As recently as 2002 scientists were able to observe wave-function interference patterns in large molecules relative to Carbon Atoms where 60 atoms in a bucky-ball formed interference patterns. Thus existed as non-solid objects rather they call them quantum objects as they exist in superposition.

http://130.58.92.210/Students/phys%205_2010/zeilinger%20ajp%202003.pdf

The implications of particle-wave duality has baffled physicists since the Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics because it suggest that our physical world exists in a state of information that only becomes solid when measurements take place on that information. Tom Campbell a Nasa physicist who argues that we live in a virtual reality cites that wave-function collapses under observation by cause the virtual reality simulator is now "rendering" that information thus producing the appearance of solid particles.

Remember that particles collapse back into wave-function and they quite likely exist more in a state of superposition than as actual rendered particles.

How is this so? So far the best answer or theory comes from the idea that we exist in a virtual reality hence we have simulation theory and digital physics which tackles these complex ideas.

Think about it. How can an entangled photon exist in two locations of space over a distance of 10 miles as a single particle? Explain spooky action from a distance using classical physics and you cannot, it's impossible for a physical object to occupy two vectors in space unless as Brian Whitworth cites, the electron is an example of a class object and becomes an instance of itself in a virtual reality.

John Wheeler and Richard Feynman proposed "The One Electron Universe Hypothesis" which you can read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

Thus, such an idea that we exist in a virtual reality is not simply a fantasy idea, there is a lot of emerging evidence that suggests this is actually the case.

Such a paradigm shifting idea however will meet much resistance from people thinking in solid physical particle terms who are still stuck in classical Newtonian physics.

If we do exist in a virtual reality, what is the system propping up the simulation? How do we know that everything around us isn't a simulated experience within this larger system? What evidence is there that we don't exist in a virtual reality?

So far... none, only arguments. Mathematically it's more supported that we do as it explains "spooky action from a distance" and allows for it where classical physics does not. Quantum Mechanics however suggests also that we do, so it's not just math but particle behaviour linked to this idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the extremely delayed response; I had been busy and just forgot about the conversation. Let me point some things out:

I think it can work either way. Not registering the misses is, essentially, the same as subconsciously disregarding them because they don't fit in with the preferred framework.

I think you misunderstand what "not registering" means here; "not registering" used here clearly means that one does not remember the misses, while "dismissing" is an obvious reference to someone who remembers the misses but simply doesn't want to acknowledge them.

Well, that's because you're deliberately measuring them.

So your argument is that one can only remember misses when they are deliberately testing whether or not they have psychic abilities? So our memories become faulty otherwise (with regards to recalling misses)? I would argue that one's inability or (perhaps subconscious) refusal to recall misses would have more to do with their eagerness to prove the existence of psi abilities rather than a general state of mind. I can remember misses from even when I wasn't actively "measuring" anything

Given that psychic powers have never been proven, I think its a pretty good assumption that they don't exist. It then follows that we can make a good guess at what the given person is experiencing.

You misunderstood; the assumption I was speaking of had to deal with your assumption that the person you were writing to and just forgotten the misses. You have absolutely no way of knowing what they forgot or remembered without them directly telling you so, not based on the little information provided

Plain wrong, and exactly the reason why personal testimony is never counted as empirical evidence.

So you are claiming to know what goes on in their world (aka their mind and their surroundings)? That kind of borders on hubris, don't you think? We can only know, or make assumptions, based on the information given us; nothing the person said makes such an assertion evidentially justifiable.

I haven't read anyone's replies yet, I just want to get out what I need to say on it right away. I have a lot of experience with precognition, but not deja vu. For me, personally, precognition/intuition presents itself to me as something that is not necessarily removed from my anxieties, but is identifiable among them. When I "predict" (I never label anything as "going to happen/not going to happen" until said thing does or does not occur... then I look back and make connections between intuitive feelings and actual life events) Personally I think you may be working yourself up as far as the deja vu = bad event relation goes, but do pay attention to the circumstances surrounding the deja vu. It could be a predictor of other things... you might be connecting deja vu to the wrong thing.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm super tired! :unsure2: