Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Windows 8

Duke Wellington

Has anybody here ever installed Windows Embedded 8 Industry through Microsoft DreamSpark?

Is it just ordinary Windows 8 + extra stuff? or is it missing things? I ask because I can get it for free so if its complete Windows 8 it'll save me money.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

You not got windows 7? I still used windows 7 and everything runs on it. For gaming you might find the odd problem with Windows 8.1 and older games.

• Like 2

You not got windows 7? I still used windows 7 and everything runs on it. For gaming you might find the odd problem with Windows 8.1 and older games.

I'm on Vista 32 bit right now!

DreamSpark lets me download Windows embedded 8 or 7. The question is are they normal versions of windows with extra stuff added in?

Edited by RabidMongoose

I'm on Vista 32 bit right now!

DreamSpark lets me download Windows embedded 8 or 7. The question is are they normal versions of windows with extra stuff added in?

Dunno, never heard of DreamSpark until now. Again... Tomshardware forum guys would probably answer your question within 24 hours.

• Like 1

DreamSpark is a Microsoft portal used by students and educational institutions. There is no difference in the products you are able to download and install through it - except the product is licenced for educational/student use and the identity of the downloader as a student or member of an educational institution must be verified before the download can proceed.

Provided you have the means to validate your identity as a student, the version of Windows you download and install will be no different to the commercial product. It will be the basic 'home' version of the product, not the 'Pro' version, if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

DreamSpark is a Microsoft portal used by students and educational institutions. There is no difference in the products you are able to download and install through it - except the product is licenced for educational/student use and the identity of the downloader as a student or member of an educational institution must be verified before the download can proceed.

Provided you have the means to validate your identity as a student, the version of Windows you download and install will be no different to the commercial product. It will be the basic 'home' version of the product, not the 'Pro' version, if I recall correctly.

They have 8.1 industry pro up, thanks I shall download it.

They have 8.1 industry pro up, thanks I shall download it.

WAIT! Before you do, consider this. The home version is perfect for most productivity programs like everything in Microsoft Office etc. It is also perfect for all games. Industrial and Pro versions don't give the vast majority of users any benefit and in some cases can cause issues with extended administrative rights where you can inadvertently delete/change vital code. You may also receive less of the standard product as they are designed to take up less space on an HDD and run multiple copies from one central server. Read more here:-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1946551/windows-embedded-industry-pro-windows.html

• Like 1

WAIT! Before you do, consider this. The home version is perfect for most productivity programs like everything in Microsoft Office etc. It is also perfect for all games. Industrial and Pro versions don't give the vast majority of users any benefit and in some cases can cause issues with extended administrative rights where you can inadvertently delete/change vital code. You may also receive less of the standard product as they are designed to take up less space on an HDD and run multiple copies from one central server. Read more here:-

http://www.tomshardw...ro-windows.html

But they are free for me lol

Windows 8 industry pro downloading right now (6gb), complete with registration key. Thats £90 extra to go on pc upgrades lol.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

Here is my method for optimising a computer running Windows 8. (any version).

1) Ensure that the bios is set to boot from CD/DVD drive.

2) Insert Windows 7 professional into DVD drive, and boot computer.

3) After the first few screens, you will be prompted for an installation location. Firstly, select the partition containing Windows 8, and delete it.

4) For maximum satisfaction, do this several times.

5) Re-create the deleted partition, format it, and continue with the Windows 7 Pro installation untill complete.

I would rather gargle ground glass, washed down by a beaker of live slugs, then use Windows 8.

• Like 1

Is it OEM? I bought Windows 8 downloadable on the cheap for my old PC, that I later spilled a large drink over and fried the motherboard. I also lost Windows 8 cos it was OEM, so tied to my old setup. Check this before you buy. You can't upgrade your motherboard with OEM operating systems.

(I was drunk and had the pc case open for some unknown reason when i spilled the drink... grrr)

Edited by Eldorado

Is it OEM? I bought Windows 8 downloadable on the cheap for my old PC, that I later spilled a large drink over and fried the motherboard. I also lost Windows 8 cos it was OEM, so tied to my old setup. Check this before you buy. You can't upgrade your motherboard with OEM operating systems.

(I was drunk and had the pc case open for some unknown reason when i spilled the drink... grrr)

Its not OEM

• Like 1

But they are free for me lol

Windows 8 industry pro downloading right now (6gb), complete with registration key. Thats £90 extra to go on pc upgrades lol.

Odd. I use dreamspark as well and I can't see the embedded versions. The typical download size of windows 8 is 2gb for 32bit and 3gb for 64bit.

At my university only certain students can use it. Those doing computer based courses like myself.

I've acquired around $30,000 worth of software... Free.

Greatest company student assistance program out there. The focus is ensuring further development on their systems. But most of the time with the market share level and such. It's just more free stuff.

Odd. I use dreamspark as well and I can't see the embedded versions. The typical download size of windows 8 is 2gb for 32bit and 3gb for 64bit.

Windows 8.1 embedded industry, download is larger than 3gb

Windows 8.1 embedded industry, download is larger than 3gb

Hmm first thing that came to mind when I read this was embedded systems. Which would be like a microwave, an ATM, fridge, etc. But I don't think this version would be designed for a desktop computer.

Dreamspark encourages those to develop for microsoft. So I'd say this would be for installing this OS on a handheld device and developing software to use on it.

I don't know what you're studying but I would save your download usage unless you're planning to do just that.

You dont have the option to download windows 8 or 8.1?

Edit: Yea just searched it up and it is indeed designed for embedded systems.

Edited by Orcseeker

Hmm first thing that came to mind when I read this was embedded systems. Which would be like a microwave, an ATM, fridge, etc. But I don't think this version would be designed for a desktop computer.

Dreamspark encourages those to develop for microsoft. So I'd say this would be for installing this OS on a handheld device and developing software to use on it.

I don't know what you're studying but I would save your download usage unless you're planning to do just that.

You dont have the option to download windows 8 or 8.1?

Edit: Yea just searched it up and it is indeed designed for embedded systems.

Windows 8 embedded industry is a Lite version of the software. The difference between it and normal Windows 8 is the user interface is simpler and some of the advanced features which can let in viruses have been removed. This is why its suitable for use on ATMs.

If you use your desktop for normal things like home office or gaming its suitable for you. The only difference you'd be aware of is you get a straight forward desktop screen with none of the junk which pops up from the retail version and you catch less viruses. Your pc will also run faster which is why programmers like it.

Windows 8.1 is a patch not an operating system. Whether it be a retail or industry version of WIndows 8 they all automatically download and install the patch. You only need to download the patch yourself if its for another pc without an internet connection.

"Microsoft has confirmed the Start Menu is making a comeback, but reports suggest it won't be returning to Windows this year. There was no Start Menu in the desktop side of Windows 8, but after complaints from users, Microsoft has slowly been reintroducing it, starting with a Start Button last year.

An early version of the new Start Menu was shown off by Microsoft at its Build conference in April, with vice president Terry Myerson saying it would arrive with the next version of Windows."

Article:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/389095/windows-8-start-menu-wont-return-until-next-year?