Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Therammo

[Merged] Infinite and eternal universe / multiverse

159 posts in this topic

questionmark

This is not a comment on my previous posts, nor a refutation of them. Let us say we have a set of an infinite number of objects. At any 'place' in the set we can count some number of the objects, say '1, 2, 3, 4' objects. But we cannot count a series of these objects in this way at infinity. There are no countable objects at infinity. If we can't count an object, can we maintain it is real?

I think there is only a potential for an infinite number of real objects, and that concept of potentiality only exists in the mind.

I see you get it!

DONTEATUS

Well the " Heart of Gold " has a Infinite power system Y`all ought to know that ? zafod drives everywhere with it !

As for the Really Hypothetical particles like, sterile neutrinos, those are the particles that make up 80% of the dark matter in the universe so they think? But I do know there phone number ! Its,3.56keV Thats right just call Junior at BR549 and ask for the Hot New Kilo-electronvolts !

Better than a New tesela !

StarMountainKid
I see you get it!

I hope we're not agreeing on something. Where's the fun in that?

DONTEATUS: Infinite Improbability may be the key to Existence Itself! I'm pretty sure this universe doesn't exist at all (along with all these other proclaimed universes). It's all smoke and mirrors. This universe, along with all the others exist locally, but not globally. I won't go into details because Y'all would be telling me to take my meds and forget about it.

• Like 1

questionmark

I hope we're not agreeing on something. Where's the fun in that?

I generally don't lead discussions for the privilege to be contrary.

DONTEATUS

I always lead discussions just because Its better to Fall off the edge of a Planet than be Pushed ! :tu:

StarMountainKid
Posted Today, 03:18 PM

snapback.pngquestionmark, on 28 July 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

always lead discussions just because Its better to Fall off the edge of a Planet than be Pushed ! :tu:

Sometimes I will take a contrary view if I consider it rational and appropriate to the discussion, but only when the subject consists only of opinions (including my own), which it seems to me to be most of the time.

It's not much of a discussion when everyone agrees with each other, plus, a contrary opinion can challenge conventional thought and open up new areas of discussion.

Edited by StarMountainKid

taniwha

Why not? The light is infinitely bright. Actually, it's just an imaginary thought, not depending on the laws of physics. I'm just trying to point out the counter-intuitiveness and strangeness of infinities. I think infinity is only a mathematical concept, and there can be no infinity of real objects.

It could also be a physical reality. When we die is that not the beginning of forever? Infinity is also true if you subtract everything and are left with absolutely nothing. The universe like the future might be unwritten

I think our universe cannot be infinite in extent because there would have to be an infinite amount of time for the universe to reach infinite extent. Theoretically, at infinite speed, you could travel infinitely far away from earth, but what does this mean? Infinity is not bounded, so there is no real infinite distance from earth. This is just a concept.

In any case, there would have to be the potential for an infinite amount of space at the BB.

It would be easy enough to say the universe is finite and leave it at that. Its still inflating so, for all anyone knows there could be a limit to how far and how long before it stabilises. Logically it wont go on forever expanding if infinity doesnt exist.

Taking into account an infinite number of universes, I think time has to be considered. Each universe encloses its own time, sort of like temporal frames of reference in our universe. Considering Existence having no beginning, the multi-verse extending infinitely into the past, I think is an incorrect way of looking at it.

I suppose time can last forever, though if we removed time from the universe what would the universe look like? How would it function without it? If we dont have infinite time, what does a universe look like with infinite time? Sometimes its just as difficult to find questions than find answers lol.

Can we say that some universe existed 'before' ours? As each universe exists independant of ours time-wise, I don't think we can compare them temporally. That is, their existence 'before' and 'after' ours becomes meaningless when we think about all these other universes.

It would be more correct to say they all exist independantly of ours temporally, and in this sense saying the multi-verse as a whole extends infinitely into the past with no beginning makes no sense. One could as correctly say that all these universes, 'past', 'present' and 'future', exist at the same time, and the concept of an infinite past and future becomes meaningless, as they all exist in their own separate and unrelated timelines.

Is it not enough to make sense of one universe let alone a whole multitude of them?

What would the universe look like with all the darkness removed?

"...Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out..."

Arthur. C. Clarke ~The Nine Billion Names of God.

Edited by taniwha

StarMountainKid

Thanks, taniwha, for your comments.

It would be easy enough to say the universe is finite and leave it at that. Its still inflating so, for all anyone knows there could be a limit to how far and how long before it stabilises. Logically it wont go on forever expanding if infinity doesnt exist.

We don't know what the untimate fate of the universe will be, but dark energy could eventually thin out enough for the universe to 'stabalize' or continue to expand ever more slowly. I think if the universe continued to expand forever, it still would never become infinite in extent.

You speak about time, time itself may have a component temporally similar to dark energy of space that changes its duration over very long periods. What would be the consequences of that?

Our part of the universe may exist in an unstable false vacuum state, and a lower energy vacuum state may be coming our way to destroy us. Would that change the universe back into a true vacuum state that may have existed out of which the BB emerged? Then what?

• Like 1

taniwha

Thanks, taniwha, for your comments.

We don't know what the untimate fate of the universe will be, but dark energy could eventually thin out enough for the universe to 'stabalize' or continue to expand ever more slowly. I think if the universe continued to expand forever, it still would never become infinite in extent.

You speak about time, time itself may have a component temporally similar to dark energy of space that changes its duration over very long periods. What would be the consequences of that?

Our part of the universe may exist in an unstable false vacuum state, and a lower energy vacuum state may be coming our way to destroy us. Would that change the universe back into a true vacuum state that may have existed out of which the BB emerged? Then what?

Just for fun,

If it were possible, on some oddball planet of twins, where everyone is forever bathed in twilight skies and sunshine. The horizon is complete with two suns each one doing the job of a moon. As one sun sets the other one rises. They do not know the night.

On this daylight planet people have long ago established that their world view is all there is to see and that they occupy the entire universe.

However, a brilliant philosopher writing a book titled, "The observation of shadows" develops an abstract idea to define the universe. I happen to be his scribe.

"Master, what do you mean by dark dimensions ? " i ask him.

"Try closing your eyes." He says.

" So its a dream?"

" yes, but its a very special kind of dream, a dream beyond a dream" he continues, " light beyond light and dark beyond dark, a thought beyond a thought .... and so i asked myself the question, can the sky exist beyond the sky?"

"But Master, isnt it obvious?" I quizz.

He checks his timepiece and lowers his gaze from the solar eclipse to concentrate his being on his answer.

"The only thing we can be certain of child is that the universe is blue. No more and no less"

• Like 1